• Klang

Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 26 March 2009
It has been a couple of years since the fantastic 'Ten New Messages' and the Rakes have returned with a third album of spiky punky songs. Clocking in at under 30 minutes it makes for exhilarating listening and the album starts off at a fantastic speed with the brilliant 'You're In It' and 'That's The Reason' with the latter being the best song on the album.

The pace continues with 'Smoker' which gives us a good insight into modern Britain. The album dips in form with 'Bitchin' In The Kithen' but luckily picks up again with the sing-along classic '1989'. 'Shakelton' allows the album to carry on in a good form with a raw guitar verse and chorus. A driving bass line carries the next song and the final two songs see the album off in fine style with the piano driven 'Mullers Racket' and the superb 'The Final Hill.'

A good album from The Rakes but one that will no doubt be overlooked by the majority of the record buying public. For those of us who have got this album, let us cherish another fun loving album!
on 15 April 2009
I had never heard of this band before purchasing this album, I actually was influenced by the cover art (Something quite common for me, and i've bought my fair share of stinkers as a result!). It's a very easy listen, quite raw sounding (compared to their early stuff as I later found out)and fairly short - just under half an hour. For the money you can't really go wrong.
Stand out tracks for me include 'That's The Reason', '1989' and 'Mullers Ratchet'
on 14 April 2009
I don't know what it is about their third album, but considering they were left on a knife-edge with their poor second (Ten New Messages), they needed something to keep people interested. This is brillaint. 1989 is one of the best tracks on this millenium for me, and has the 'oomph-factor' that's needed to keep british indie-rock music from falling down the pretencious plughole it is currently sinking down.
on 20 June 2009
After the mediocre second album, The Rakes return with 'Klang'.

It doesn't stray far from their tried and tested spiky guitar pop nuggets, but it's a much better album than the last one.

The lyrics are humourous at times, and unlike 'Ten New Messages', the songs are much stronger, the tunes are catchier, and overall it's simply a better album. The band decamped to East Germany for the recording, and this album displays a freshness that may be associated with the change of location.

'1989' & 'Shackleton' are the album highlights for me, however, this is an album I can happily leave to run it's course without skipping any tracks.
on 8 May 2009
I brought the first two albums and I have to say in my opinion this is the best by far, the stand out tracks are That's The Reason, 1989 and Bitchin In The Kitchin, but has a distinct Franz Ferdinand feel about it, with most tracks appealing to me...If you haven't tried them out, give em a go. Worth every penny and one you'll keep putting on again and again.
on 16 March 2009
History - two inspiring albums that both offered a degree of optimisim for future releases. First the wait, a couple of years, then the "difficult third" finally arrives,and boy what a let down. I wish they had left it in Berlin, I can't believe the London music scene is that bad you have to go to Germany for inspiration!! Described as punky in one review, NO it's far removed from that and anything else. Think of a jangly band down local on a Thursday night, not bad, but hardly going to increase fan base more like to decrease. Oh I haven't mentioned any of the tracks because they weren't that memorable!!