Customer reviews

Overlord: Minions (Nintendo DS)

on 8 December 2017
Arrived on time, in good condition. Bought as a present for someone else, so I can't really comment on the game itself - but Overlords has been an excellent strategy game on all the other formats I've personally played it on.

As Xmas is rapidly approaching, I've been buying a lot of preowned DS games as 'stocking fillers'. (And, I'll admit, a couple - like Europe, Squad Command, Rome & Worms - for myself to play too). Almost all the youngsters have a DS/2DS/3DS so these games make excellent small presents. BUT a couple of things to remember ......... 1. Make sure the description says the full game/instructions/case are included are loads that say 'cartridge only'. 2. Buy spare cases, because a lot will arrive in shabby cases, or more likely will be rammed through your front door slot, breaking the case in the process and those broken cases can have sharp plastic shards). 3. Order in good time as most are sent via standard RMail.
on 12 July 2012
I'd never heard of this game until someone decided to get it for me and I was unsure about it. When I started playing the controls were very easy and the game mechanics worked really well.

Overall, this is a great adventure/puzzle game that has nice looking levels for the DS and has enough content to last a good few hours.
on 15 October 2009
I bought this game on the basis of its introduction, despite having read reviews arguing that the controls were impossible and thus the game near in-playable.

I'm no video game expert, and detail-controlling the actions of the characters was always my least favourite part, the story and the puzzles my favourite part. Still, I found the controls managable. They were not bad enough to ruin the game, although sometimes I've had to try to do things more than once before something actually happens. All the controls use the stylus, and apparently there isn't much difference between "clicking", "holding", and "dragging a short line".

I've enjoyed this game, much for the adorable-ness of the evil little minions. They're not very nice creatures (bash! burn!), but they are actual characters, not just little pixel dots with names. And the minion master often brings a laugh.

"Try to sound a little less like a herd of marauding wildebeest..."
"With so many explosives about, don't feel you need to be subtle about it. And I know you Minions are especially good at not being subtle!"
"Blaze! If anything like that happens again, I'll make you eat Stench's feet, understand?"

If you like dark humour and medium-difficult puzzles, then this is a game for you. The controls can be annoying, but they don't ruin the game at all.
on 19 September 2011
This is a fun action, adventure/puzzle game that sees you take control of 4 "minions" all with different abilities from fighting to healing with the overall objective to reach the final exit, solving puzzles and beating up bad guys on the way. The graphics are nice and the game runs smoothly on the DS but the cutscenes seem a little on the rushed side.

The main problem for me is the touchscreen controls, they decided to make this game fully touchscreen like Phantom Hourglass but unfortunately the touchscreen controls are sloppy and you'll find yourself tapping/sliding/poking the DS screen in vain trying to get your little guys to do what you want them to do. If they just tweaked the touchscreen a bit or put in the option to play the game with both D pad and touchscreen then this would have been a great game to play.
on 8 February 2010
I have been playing this game for a while now, its not exactly what i expected, but better! If you like puzzle games with a bit of adventure and fighting thrown in this game is for you. I havent had any problem with the controls at all and all in all for the price definately worth buying
on 1 July 2010
I don't know what to write about this game except what my son said to me 'Mum, this is a really great game, thank you for getting it for me'.

See one answered question