on 24 July 2011
Cracking piece of kit and that comes from someone used to Canon's L series lenses. OK, not as sharp as the L's but pretty near IQ from the Lumix but in a more compact form. Got a G2 and the 14-140 for my forthcoming holiday to Mexico save carrying my two Canon bodies and L lenses - the 14-140 adequetly covers the focal length I need but in a smaller package. Won't get rid of my Canon kit though - great for my wedding work where the Lumix kit would fall down. All in all though, really pleased with the 14-140
on 3 November 2010
I have just sold a Canon DSLR and 3 Canon L series lenses to fund the purchase of a lighter, interchangeable lens camera. The 'problem' with Canon's L series lenses is that the results are so good, you are spoiled for using anything else. Initially I bought a Canon 550D and Canon EF-S 18-135mm zoom, but the results were so disappointing that, for the first time in my life, I sent the camera and lens back to the supplier. I had been considering a Panasonic GF1 but had initially been put off by the lack of an eyelevel viewfinder; however, on the basis of David Clapp's 'GF1 in the landscape' article ([...]) I bought a GF1 with the 14-45mm zoom and the optional EVF electronic viewfinder. The inital results are very promising; to my surprise, far better than the 550D (which was very well reviewed). My options for a mid-long zoom were Panasonic's 45-200mm or their 14-140mm which was designed to go with the videocentric GH1. On the basis of multiple reviews I opted for the 14-140, and I am very happy. The GF1 is not an 'action camera', the G2 would be a better choice for moving targets, but setting the GF1 to continuous focus and motor drive, the results with this lens are very impressive. Normal photos, i.e. not of moving targets, are beautifully sharp, even at full zoom in dull conditions, so the OIS lens stabilisation obviously works well. Bottom line: not cheap, but great results. An excellent travel camera (particularly when matched with Panasonic's 7-14mm) which I am looking forward to taking to Arizona next year.
44 Comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 July 2012
I have a Panasonic 4/3 rds G3 Camera , yes I know I am a lucky boy but I have lots of family gatherings to shoot coming up so I splashed the cash. That said, no single lens every covers everything hmmmm well this one comes really close. Now I know its expensive and nothing is perfect but for what it can do its is worth the money and I got £50 back of those nice Panasonic people. While in to stills more than movies it doubles up and does do what it says on the tin, it is silent and while not a super length zoom it does with aid of lots of pixels allow me to get good close ups from mid distance. Now you have to seriously into taking snaps to have this sort of kit and I have a lot to learn about what the camera can do and what this lens can do and even worse what they can do together but all said I have taken some really nice shots of my family,passing torches, passing Queens ( yep the Royal one) butterflies and the floor, but I did that with my OM1 !!
If you into this or seriously intend to be and need a lens with this ones range and abilities don't fear it will let you down it won't, yep tomorrow will bring better but this lens will fit another generation of 4/3's and tomorrow may never come.
(If you into spec and perfomance data go and read it all up elsewhere!!!!)

Panasonic Micro Four Thirds 14-140mm Zoom Lens Featuring Silent Design for HD Movie Recording
on 10 August 2014
This is a listing for the OLDER model of this lens with an aperture of /4-f5.8. The newest Panasonic H-FS14140E-K 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH Compact and Stylish High Zoom Digital Interchangeable Lens has an aperture of f/3.5-f5.6 and improved optical image stabilization. Panasonic claims it's twice as effective as the previous model's Mega O.I.S. system. The newer lens also has redesigned optics including three aspherical elements and two ED lenses. However "Shutter Shock" from mechanical shutter vibration can be a problem with the newer lens on some camera bodies, (GX1, GH3 and more) so you may want to "Google" about this issue to see if it exists/can be corrected by using an electronic shutter option on your camera. I've had to give this lens a rating to post this information, so despite its older design it may be a better option, and possibly better priced. Thus I've given it 5 stars..
on 19 February 2012
This is a cracking little lens. The lens does soften a little bit at the extreme telephoto end but isn't a problem for most subjects and using a tripod will help out a lot. Otherwise it's a great range at a great price.
on 25 August 2012
The first thing you'll notice about this lens is it's weight. As owner of 2 other panasonic 4/3 lenses, this is armour plated contrasted to those plasticky affairs and I would estimate weighs at least a kilo in it's own right. Perhaps next, you notice the HD designation on the lens which apparently means it's optimised as a moving picture (i.e. film) lens.

Still picture quality is excellent however, the range is starting at a reasonably wide effective 28mm and reaching 10x optical zoom at 280mm. Usual expectations will no doubt be met with aperture changes - down at 4.5, bokeh is beautiful and easy to dial up in any close to medium scenarios.

Setting my humble G3 to film mode and this lens truly reveals it's strengths. Focus is quick under normal lighting and it is truly silent in operation. The same effortless ability to throw the background out of focus and frame the intended subject is quick, uncannily natural and incredibly sharp. At least as much a feature of the actual camera is the ability to Tele-extend (x2) and ensure the recording is cropped to 1920 x 1080 but scaled to fill the recorded clip.

What is exceptional is this lenses continued ability to resolve detail and bring out fantastically natural and balanced colours at what is now effectively double the focal length - i.e. 560mm. Yes, you will definately need a tripod and a secure/capable head to take the combined camera and lens weight.

Are there any limitations - yes, expensive (even second hand I paid £450), low light performance not good and occassional seeking with AF.

Put all that to one side though - if you're stepping up from bottom level, amateur optics and film making and budget somehow allows, you will not regret this. At last, to me it's a real exhibition of four thirds and CSC camera capabilities - now and in time to come.
on 31 July 2013
This lens was a birthday gift for my wife. It was teamed up with a Lumix G1 with which it looked well balanced and produced consistenly good results. The lens is heavy and this means that the whole unit can be tiring to carry and can cause unit to swing with some force when worn around the neck.
Overall I would say this was an excellent all purpose lens that is heavy.
on 15 May 2013
I was waiting for the soon(?)-to-be-released Tamron 14-150 for CSC, but I couldn't wait any longer and found this lens (which is £700 in my local camera shop) at a good discount. Seller was quick and helpful. Lens performs very well, but it quite heavy and bulky.
on 10 August 2013
I bought this as I wanted a flexible lens for taking on holiday abroad. I have the kit lens and a 42-200 lens for the DMC G2 . However I think that this lens seems better both in smooth operating and in the quality of photos than either of the other two lenses so I can see that I might be using this one the most. (This is not an expert opinion, I am just a reasonably competent amateur snapper!) It does not make the camera too heavy and gives a versatility that seems to me to be just right for most of the photos I will be taking.
on 26 October 2013
Produces superb images, easy and practical to use. Excellent zoom range from WA to Tele. Slightly heavy, but that is a small price to pay.