Customer reviews

Price:£7.09

on 26 August 2017
great cd
on 19 November 2002
Dead Elvis opens with a cracking, stylish, sample wistfully dragging you up to speed with this stoner friendly, conversation inducing, monster of a debut.
Unlike many artist of this genre Death in Vegas' music is intelligent, involving, and evolving. I saw them support the Chemicals years ago and if I'm being honest they weren't all that. The sound was too big for a support act and no one in the audience really got it. A lack of facilities (two turntables') and dodgy bowl cuts really clouded what they were trying to do.
A few years later I saw them again. This time they were headlining and were awesome. A well-informed friend of mine still claims they sounded better than the Prodigy on their Jilted tour (completely different I know but I'm sure you catch my drift).
The point is, these guys aren't just electronic maestros. They create well structured, deep, tunes, that require input from many talented musicians, that work live, that can be listened to by almost anyone, and even make you want to boogie.
Dead Elvis is my favourite Death in Vegas album for one very simple reason. It's all them. No star struck collaboration can undermine who and what this album is about. This is Death in Vegas. Although 'all that glitters is not gold' ... this album glitters and it's certainly golden.
on 17 August 2000
Dead Elvis is a brilliantly diverse album. Death in Vegas are hard to put in a genre, but whatever they try their hand at here, they pull it off. There's no fillers; every track stands out. It's very different to the more recent "The Contino Sessions", but I much prefer this one. Very very good.
on 20 April 2004
You can't not like this album. You just can't.

The mainstay of Dead Elvis is mellow, funky, beats-driven dance music, but within that there's a huge amount of variety. Across these eleven tracks, Death in Vegas have tried their hand at (at least) eleven different styles, and pulled them all off without ever sounding like they're faking it. There's a distinct jazz and reggae influence on the first few tracks, followed by Dirt, a stomping rock number, leading eventually to the floaty ambience of the last few songs.

Every tune surprises you by being different to the one before it, but just as great.

One of the most varied and accomplished albums you'll hear.
on 7 November 2011
I really like this sound, I have always really liked this sound and people I have lent the cds to also seem to really like this sound, or atleast that's how I explain never getting them back BUT recently I have had doubts about how good they are... It is not many of the tracks on this album because most are so replete that they occur as complete but other album tracks seem to start and continue, and then fade. This then is a good place to start with a hugely influential sound, though Satan's Circus is better...
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 July 2016
Well worth it for the remixes even if you own the original album dirt is my favourite track plus twist and crawl.
on 16 September 2013
All good on time and in brilliant condition. And a really good album to boot. Could i ask for anything more?
on 8 March 2000
I've had this album for a while now, it came recommended, I had trouble finding it, I had to order it and wait.... After listening I understand why, it's very Electro Rock/Funk, an odd genre, but damn it's good! Never leaves my CD player for more than a day or two. Buy it!
on 1 January 2015