Customer reviews

52nd Street
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 November 2012
This is a review of the SACD version of this disc.

I bought this after realising that several older Billy Joel albums had seen re-released on SACD and I've liked his music for years. It should be noted that this a hybrid stereo CD/SACD version not the multi-channel disc. It's unfortunate that they have decided not to re-release that version as it's expensive to buy now.

Initially I was disappointed, the sound quality of this disc seems very limited in the treble response. The vocals are very warm and close sounding, although I would think it represents very well what was recorded at the time. The opening track 'Big Shot' does lack the wow factor that I was expecting. That said it's been years since I listened to the original CD, it makes me want to go back and listen to that disc to compare.

On later tracks I was really starting to get absorbed by the music, in particular by the time I had got to 'Half a Mile away' I was really starting to appreciate the music. Then I came to a real revelation, 'Until the Night'. I must have heard this track at least a dozen times before from regular CD. This time it gave me goosebumps, the sense of immersion was absolute, the fact that this wasn't a 5.1 disc didn't matter. I was listening to this disc on headphones and it felt like the music was coming from all sides, just amazing.

I now want to go back and listen again, and I have ordered more SACD discs both stereo and multi-channel. Time to rediscover some classics.
on 19 December 2009
Having had this album in LP format years ago I decided to purchase it on a CD as I always loved it. Even after all these years it does not disappoint. In my opinion Billy Joel is an underrated composer and performer on this side of the Atlantic. He is extremely talented and this album is one of his greats. I'm a jazz fanatic and his love of this genre definitely comes through in some of these titles. My favourite is "Zanzibar" which I can never get out of my head when I've played it a couple of times - it stays for days. I also love "Rosalinda's Eyes", but seriously, every track is great and I recommend this CD.
on 15 February 2012
In my opinion, Billy Joel is probably the most underrated of 'mainstream' rock artists. He was at his peak between 1977 and 1986 although some of his later work contained some real gems. His music is original with some great lyrics and arrangements, which are never over the top.'52nd Street' is from his golden period and is one excellent piece of work with no weak tracks and three that really standout for me - 'Honesty', 'My Life' and the Spectoresque 'Until The Night'. Highly recommended.
on 16 May 2017
Not much to say really. Bily Joel at his very best. Great album.
on 9 September 2017
Bought to replace a copy on a cassette tape. Always liked him.
on 12 January 2014
I have owned this piece of music since the early 1980s and I love the songs, the music, and the whole album is great. Unfortunately the original CD sounded muddy so, with regret, I paid to have the MP3 download. For the price of a pint and a half of beer I now have a quality recording. What a shame the original suppliers of a CD that cost several pints years ago couldn't have offered this service.
on 6 March 2014
This album, along with The Stranger, were Joel at his very best.
I think between these two albums you'd have the majority of a Greatest Hits compilation.
Its testimony to his abilities that on his tour with eElton John he was seen to be the one with the most energy and charisma.
on 11 October 2016
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 August 2016
Superb !
on 14 November 2016
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse