on 9 July 2009
If I'm not playing this, then most likely I'm humming it. All the way to the rock pomp of 'Elephant Song' to the backhanded lip curling growl of 'Silver Spoon', there's not a track you can't find something to enjoy in. The album is chock full of references, nods to other bands, protests, tub thumping, even a slow one for the laydees (and don't forget the hidden track!) I play this to people who claim they don't make good music anymore and inevitably, it goes quiet, because such people never like to admit they're wrong. Well, YOU ARE!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 7 April 2015
Indie rock band The Enemy gave us a second album in 2009 which really wasn't a patch on their debut We'll Live And Die In These Towns, but it's a still worthwhile listen, give it a few plays, and it will grow on you.

Whilst lacking the instantly catchy, 'angry' anthems that were all over the first, 'Music For The People' does contain some good tunes like the flop single 'Be Somebody', amongst a blatant rip-off of Pulp's '90s anthem 'Common People' with the song 'Nation of Checkout Girls, The Jam's 'London Calling' is also shamelessly reworked with 'Don't Break The Red Tape', and most obvious of all is the track 'Last Goodbye, which is basically Blur's mega hit 'The Universal' re-written and re-named. You have to give these lads some credit for their nerve, but did they really think that we wouldn't notice?

Whilst 'Music For The People' often lacks the power, passion, and originality of the first, it's still a fun listen if you enjoy straight-forward indie-rock music, even if it does sometimes feel like an albums of covers.
on 12 May 2011
I am a great fan of the 1970s english punk scene and when I listened to this album at a party I knew I'd have to buy it. The Enemy have clearly been inspired by great artists such as The Sex Pistols, The Buzzcocks and The Clash. While the album may not be entirely original on this basis it is a very enjoyable listen for all punk fans. I would deffinately recomend this album to all who are new to punk or those who are long standing fans. This is probably better tha "We'll Live and Die in These Towns" on most fronts with a wider variety of songs and classic punk sounds.
on 20 September 2009
Bitterly disappointing second album. On their debut, the Enemy showed that they had the potential to be the new Jam. With this set they have turned into Bon Jovi. Thanks, but no thanks. Try again lads.
on 11 January 2010
This is one of the best albums of 2009, easily, and one of the best I have heard in a long time. Their first album left a lot of expectations which have more than been fulfilled. The Enemy are too underrated and this album is well worth a listen. While some songs are have an album filler feel to them, many of them can be listened to again and again. Incredible album.
on 27 April 2009
I'm just on my second listen to this album and I have to say I'm very impressed with the direction that The Enemy have taken. If you are looking for something that sounds like "We'll live and Die in these towns" then you will be disappointed but if you're looking for something more mature and meaningful then this is for you. From the opening "Elephant Song" which is epic in it's sound to the (dare I say)slightly pop sounding "Sing when you're in love" every track is different, gorgeous and really pretty damn good. I read reviews on the internet about this CD before purchasing and The Enemy were slated for trying to emulate other bands (Zeppelin, The clash and Pulp to name a few!). I don't think this is true. This is a young band finding their own sound and to be honest I can't wait for the next album!
on 7 June 2009
Well this is a huge crashing rock 'n' roll album if I ever heard one. No electric sounds to be heard, all acoustic instruments used, big riffs, big songs! The album was recorded on tape rather than digitally to give it a real rocking feel. What more could we ask for?? Mabey some more originality in some of the songs...
None of the songs are bad and 'Elephant song', 'No time for tears', 'Sing when you're in love', 'Keep Losing' and 'Silver spoon' are exceptionally good songs in their own right. But everytime I listen to this album the Enemy's influences sound more and more as though they are directing the bands music rather than helping them find their own sound.
The album has a very 'punk' feel to it throughout heard clearly in the lyrics, guitar and hooks. Whilst this is in no way a condemning feature, songs such as 'Nation of checkout Girls', 'Be somebody' and 'Don't break the red tape' are too reminiscent of the ledgends of punk: The Sex Pistols and the Clash. In fact the whole album reminded me alot of London Calling and Never Mind the Bollocks.
Sometimes this simmilarity in sound borders on unoriginality and ruins the album for me slightly as I would prefer in the long run of listening to this to just listen to these other great albums instead of listening to the Enemy's take on them.
Other than this though I cannot find many faults with the album: the lyrics are witty and catchy, the guitar ranges from the rocking to the melodic and quite superb, and the use of acoustic instruments doesn't at all sound out of place on any song.
Overall then a very successful second album....but why not try and expand the sound with the third???
on 9 May 2009
Good album obviously influenced by others. Track 6 intro is carbon copy of common people, and track 8 has elements of london calling, but it still works. Worth a listen, still not seen these in concert but will do.....
on 9 October 2009
The first Album was great. angry, punchy pop songs, so the second album was always gonna be an issue: do they come out with the same style or change it up a bit?

Well, they've opted for the latter and I have to say I'm VERY disappointed.
This offering is really Overproduced and the songs lack the fire of the first CD.

The major problem is the blatent stealing from other bands!
Ok, all bands "borrow" the odd riff or melody line from other songs, (thats how music progresses after all)but this takes the biscuit!

ELEPHANT SONG = Listen! remind you of the start of a certain OASIS Album?....

LAST GOODBYE = Great Song.. but is it Richard Ashcroft singing? TOTAL VERVE RIPOFF! + even more obviously the chorus is THE UNIVERSAL by BLUR! try it! sing along!

NATION OF CHECKOUT GIRLS = Come on.. it's COMMON PEOPLE by PULP. Scandalous!

DON'T BREAK THE RED TAPE = Oh God . Stop! The verses are blatently LONDON CALLING by the CLASH.

Music for the people? more like STOLEN FROM THE BANDS.
Hope they made lots of money from the first CD, they'll need it for the court actions...
22 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 June 2009
EVERYBODY HAS A RIGHT TO AN OPINION, BUT I FIND SOME OF THE ASASSINATIONS OF THIS BAND QUITE LAUGHABLE! "THEY DON'T LIVE UP TO THIS" AND "RIP OFF" THAT. NEWSFLASH - BANDS HAVE BEEN TAKING INSPRATION FROM EACH OTHER FOR YEARS, AS DO EVERYONE FROM THE ARTS. THIS IS TESTAMENT TO THE LADS TASTE AND DIRECTION IN MUSIC. I'LL STRIP IT BACK TO BASICS - THIS IS A FANTASTIC RECORD, THAT'S FULL OF ENERGY AND PACE, WITH GREAT AND CATCHY TUNES. THEY ARE GREAT LIVE AND A BAND BAND DEFINITELY WORTH LOOKING INTO IF YOU LIKE BRIT ROCK. GREAT ALBUM.