on 21 January 2013
I used to dread walks to the park on a wet day, as I have two young babies and coming back with a muddy long haired colly was a bit of a nightmare.
But now I pre-set this with hot water before the walk and leave it in the garden, by the time I get home the water is just warm, its easy to use and works really well on a completely muddy mutt. My boys love watching me shower the dog it keeps them entertained and I have a nice clean dog to bring into the house :)

I am sure it would be good for its other uses too but I have only used it on the dog so far.
on 6 June 2013
I bought the Hozelock portable shower to improve my music festival experience! I'm a regular Glastonbury goer and was getting a bit fed up of keeping clean using wet wipes alone. I was reading a festivals forum and someone mentioned this shower. While I haven't tried the shower out in an actual camping scenario, I can already see it's going to transform my festival experience!

I first tested the shower outside. It's easy to assemble following the instructions (it took about three minutes). To use the shower it suggests you use the pump forty times to build the pressure. In my experience thirty times built the pressure sufficiently to run the shower. I didn't want to put too much strain on the mechanism by trying to pump it the last ten times. When you're good to go, you flip a switch near to the nozzle that locks in place and voila! the shower runs. The pressure isn't bad considering it's a portable shower. I was expecting to have to have to use the pump a few extra times to keep the flow going, but that wasn't necessary - it ran until all the water was gone about 3 to 4 minutes later. You can switch the shower off at any time by using the switch and the pressure is retained. You can release any remaining pressure from the shower using the blue toggle you can see in the picture. My friend, who had been sceptical, watched proceedings and was mightily impressed!

Next up was a practice run in the shower. I thought I'd try and use the water as sparingly as possible. I firstly used the shower for 30 seconds or so to get wet then shampooed and lathered up. It then took about a minute and a half to rinse off leaving me with half the water remaining. As it's likely you're going to be more than averagely mucky at a festival I thought I'd go again! I managed to do a second entire body and hair wash with the one run. For info, I'm a six foot male of average build with thick but short hair. It will take a lot longer for someone with long hair to wash their hair! The pressure might not be strong enough to get a good hair wash if you've got thick long hair.

If I get the opportunity I'll add a comment post-Glastonbury (end of June 2013) to let you know how it worked at the festival. I'm sure my friends will be trying it out too!

In conjunction with the shower I also bought this pop up shower tent: Quechua Second Cabin Shower Toilet I thought this might be useful as it could be easily put up / taken down multiple times to prevent other festival goers 'mistaking' it for a toilet. I also bought this velcro: Velcro Self Gripping Ties 10mm x 5m to hold the shower head in place. This might be overkill as I was able to shower perfectly adequately without it being held in place. I haven't bought this yet, but am tempted to use this to heat the water: Gelert Solar Shower - Black, 20lt

So far I'm very happy with my purchase. My sceptical friend commented that, seeing it in action, the pressure was probably better than his shower at uni!

UPDATE July 2013: the shower was a resounding success at Glastonbury! I had a shower every morning and everyone that used it was sold instantly. There was easily enough water to have a proper shower. One of my friends said the shower should probably be considered more essential than a tent at future festivals! I mainly used a little gas cooker to heat the water. I found two litres of boiling water to three litres cold resulted in a nice warm shower. The pop up shower tent I referred to earlier was perfect - it could be put up in 10 seconds and taken down and folded away in 2 minutes. All in all the shower was probably used for about 30 showers by different people over the course of five days and there were no mechanical issues. All in all, well deserving of a five star review!
55 comments| 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2012
a really useful dog wash which you can wash 4 colies with before it ran out brill very good value for money
on 29 December 2012
Surprisingly good as a camping shower, contains enough water for an adult to have thorough wash. Used with a shower tent. Recommended.
on 9 January 2016
Finally after 9 years I have today won the Battle between carpet vs muddy paws..... Great item can't praise it enough, our garden is currently like a bog and every time I let the dogs in I use tonnes of towels and kitchen roll just to get the mud off but still not clean enough to let them straight on the carpet, this is so helpful and cleans their paws enough that when towel them off I don't have to abandon them in the kitchen for half hour to dry off..... Happy me and happy dogs 🙌🙌🙌
on 31 October 2011
Used this portable shower while camping over the weekend.You may think it is not big enough but i had a litre of water left over after each shower.Now a pernament part of my kit.
on 13 February 2014
We have 3 large dogs and they can get very muddy when walking. We fill this with hot tap water before setting out so by the time we get back it's hand warm. A few pumps and it is easy to rinse off the mud. The device is easy to fill, sturdy and efficient. Very pleased.
on 4 January 2012
Was despairing that every time I took my dog out for a walk on a winters day, he got caked in mud and brought it into the house leaving a permanant trail of mud dust all over it. This proved just the answer. A quick wash off before putting him in the car and Bob's your uncle, clean dog.
on 25 September 2015
Absolutely superb,has totally transformed life in our little holiday chalet which has no services.5L is plenty for a shower and hair wash,and the flow of water is good provided that the pressure in the bottle is maintained.We are thinking of buying another for our main home for washing dogs' feet.An excellent product.
on 2 January 2013
Just the job to wash my German shepherd after his walk. Helps if someone else pumps it while you wash