on 19 May 2010
Highly recommended. I'm using this as a media server, with iTunes and Spotify. I use a digital link to provide the sound amplification and DAC. I wouldn't use it for heavy applications (e.g.; video editing), but for day-to-day emails, surfing, media streaming... rock on...!!!
on 13 November 2009
A macmini is one of the cheapest ways to get into the apple world of computing and worth every penny. I got this to work alongside my new iphone. Used my old acer monitor and got a new mouse and apple keyboard. Set up was trivial and it has worked 100% straight from the box. Look great as well. Without ranting on about MAC vs PC, am not sure what more to say.
on 3 June 2009
Bought one for my father and had the job of setting it up.
First impressions are on how small it is compared to an old PC, it looks smart enough, can it really work straight out of the box?
Thats what I'd been assured by a gadget addict who spoke highly of the Mac.
Anyway after re-planning the new layout of monitor, Mac mini and cables it was time to fire it up.
Where is the start button? It's round the back among the cable sockets!
Yes really, they put the power button on the back of the unit!
Rolled out the computer unit yet again so as to gain access to the power button, muttering all the while about just what were they thinking to site an on off button at the rear - among the cables.
pushed the button and waited, not long as it turned out, up came the Apple desktop, success! Feeling better now and gloating on about "try that with vista" to my Father, who was suddenly impressed with his new screen full off Apple stuff.
Went on the internet by clicking the 'safari' icon, oh dear, only three-quaters of the screen used and won't get any bigger - rats.
Went to youtube to test the sound - nothing from the monitor speakers - rats. Pointer arrow is too small, can't make it any bigger - rats again.
Found out later I should have installed drivers and blah blah blah. I wanted a computer that just worked out the box, didn't quite happen so 4 stars and thats being easy on the button idiot, did I mention the button at the back?
For your info it has a power converter unit wired to a plug one end and wired to a computer plug the other, like your printer or scanner one, only bigger. Start buttons on the back - nice.
....Later edit, monitor speakers now working. I bought the monitor at a large PC chain store, (guess which) and they didn't tell me about or give me a sound cable. why don't we just know these things, after all, they do. The monitor I chose was an ex display model and thats why the cable mix up. Can't blame the Mac for that part.
....Later edit still, Had quite a time with the mini mac, the sound output mini-jack has packed up so now going to try a pair of USB speakers with it. Another "new" gripe I have with it is the endless keychain pop-up which drives you crazy wanting passwords all the time. I've checked on the forum and a lot of people are complaining about it but there doesn't seem to be any way to get rid of it.= It works out of the box!not mine! I much prefer a Sony Vaio laptop that runs windows 7 and all the software is familiar and doesn't need re-learning and its much cheaper plus any extra software is available and comes without the "mac" tariff!!
Hope this helps.
44 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 October 2013
I purchased this for Iphone development, runs everything I need without any a single issue, perfectly silent, simple and small,
on 18 November 2009
I was delighted when my mac mini arrived. It worked straight from the box, and within an hour, I had written and published a page to the web. Never seen anything like that in many years of PC ownership.

USB slots in the keyboard? Master-stroke.

BUT...

Simple functions (e.g. Home and End keys) which I find useful are missing from the apple keyboard as is the # symbol (unless you know where to find everything by intuition, or something). Yes, minor picky details, but it is things like this that can really put people off.

Oh, and of course, there's the peculiar aspect of having to buy a keyboard and mouse on top of the box. What are you supposed to use? Telekinesis?

... still prefer it to my PC, though.
on 7 September 2015
Hi Amazon! At 12:41 pm on Monday the 7th Day of the moon/month of September MMXV - 2015 A.D., an Apple Macintosh Mini of the above description, abandoned by someone in central London, is now sitting on the shelf here, without a power supply, alongside an Iomega Disk Drive, which does have a power supply. So the system can not be used at the moment. As an alumina factory at Kolontar 2010 A.D., Hungary, has poison sludged two villages and killed many people and made many more homeless, I feel that using aluminium in anything is not to my liking and certainly aluminium sailing boat masts are out for me, I have never liked them. Watch this space as to what happens with this re-cycling project. Peter Jones Department Store does not sell the Macintosh Mini power supply and recommended a visit to the Apple Store on Regent's Street.