on 12 February 2012
I've had my X-Lander Military for about 3 years and I'm on my second strap. I'm looking around at the options as I'm going to need to replace it again soon as this one is on the way out after about a year.

I wear the watch every day of the year and I love the watch itself. A year per strap is not bad considering how much I wear it. I do go climbing and mountaineering but I wouldn't say that I've knocked it or caught it a lot and I'm not heavy handed at all.
I'd say for the first 4 to 6 months there's no problem but after that you'll notice it degrading. It is the part of the strap that joins to the watch itself that wears out too quick in my opinion. I was hoping when I bought the second strap that Suunto would have worked on this but they haven't.

Basically the part where the strap connects to the watch is not reinforced very well. There is a plastic block inside at each end of the strap that the pin goes through for strength. The plastic snapped in both my straps. I cant be sure how long it takes for the plastic to snap because you can't tell untill you remove the strap. However, after a while you'll notice a gap appearing between the watch and the strap that slowly gets bigger. About 12mm along the strap (watch end) there is a square `shoulder' that should sit nice and flush against that back of the watch. This will keep moving out of place and you'll have to push it back around into place.

Eventually the entire area of the strap will become weakened to the point where you'll look at it and think "this will break soon". To its credit you'll still get months out of it at this point but having to readjust the strap so that it seats correctly bugs me no end. Plus having something that looks like it's about to break is annoying too.

X-Lander owners looking to change strap - don't! Look for another option.
X-Lander Military owners - (me included) stop replacing the strap and look for a different design.
Other customers who are here for whatever reason - don't buy this strap or a watch with this strap.

However, if you're prepared to buy a new strap every year or so then just ignore all the above. I gave it 2 stars because I just think its a poor design. I couldn't justify a 1 star rating as it does hang in there for a while despite looking like it will break.

Update - I replaced my broken strap with this one;

It's been going some time now and its noticeably better than the original. I will try and keep my reviews up to date.
on 17 November 2015
My son hs a Suunto with a leather strap which is no good for water activities so this strap was a replacement which fitted purfectly. I took it to my local impspn for fitting as it looked a little fiddly and he fitted it for free, well done Timpsons!
on 10 January 2013
It is unacceptable that SUUNTO keep supplying a perfect watch (X-Lander Military) with this "faulty" strap, without making any effort to improve it.

I entirely agree with the review (By John Mortimer, http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2DCD46IGRI179/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B001UE6MKC&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=318949011&store=sports), one can find an explicit description of the product and its problem.

It is indeed a great looking plastic strap that fits with the watch, though, as it is constructed it is for short longevity, especially if someone is used to remove the watch often from his hand, it worsen the problem. It is the third strap within the two years I have my X-Lander Military, a relatively expensive strap (39 euro retail price in Greece). The only reason I keep buying this product is the lack of a proper replacement, the good looking and quality of the watch.
on 3 February 2012
I have tried the other two types of strap for my X-Lander: leather and the original stiched rubber job.
They are very poor compared to this strap which is very strong and comfortable. The others became smelly, rotted and then failed. This should come with the watch it's way better.
on 21 January 2016
I've been using this for nearly 3 weeks now. I managed to change the strap myself quite easily and without specialist tools. The strap has a rugged design and feels durable. My only gripe is that there is a rubber loop to fasten the loose end of the strap in place and it is grooved for a secure fit. This is very difficult to release when you want to remove the watch. Maybe, in time, it will loosen up. I wouldn't allow this to put me off buying the strap.
on 2 August 2013
Looks better then the original one. I even have people on the street asking me where I bought the watch since I have replaced it.
The original one already broke 2 times within a year and this looks more durable as well.
on 28 August 2013
Used on a Suunto Yachtsman watch - perfect fit and more comfortable than the original leather strap. Not affected by salt water unlike the leather original which is a good thing for a sailing watch!
on 2 October 2013
Although i was desperate for a new strap and i paid for an original, i am disgusted at the price. Considering a new battery, O-ring and cover are nearly a fifth of the price i am annoyed by it.
on 18 June 2011
Great looking, plastic strap which must have cost all of 50 pence to produce. Just a pity the original strap supplied with the watch was not better constructed for longevity of use. Does what it says on the tin, but at a price
on 21 January 2015
Has transformed my X Lander watch. Excellent strap.
Bit of a pain to undo the strap at night, but hey it looks super cool!