Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: DVD|Change

on 8 April 2009
I just got this movie today. I've only watched it once so far. I must say I've never read the book that this movie is based on. It was a bit creepy but interesting. I do feel though, that the movie ended when it was just beginning. I will of course watch it again soon, to get a better understanding of it. But Rob Pattinson did an excellent job with the material given.

I've decided to order the book "the haunting of toby jugg" that this movie is based on. I watched the movie for the 3rd time, I understood it better, but something tells me I'm gonna like the book much better. especially since reading the book reviews.
33 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 June 2009
As a professed Robert Pattinson fan, I breathlessly awaited my copy of THE HAUNTED AIRMAN and was not disappointed. He is third-billed, but his performance is FIRST RATE, especially for a young man of only 20 (and in a starring role) when it was released. The film, itself, doesn't quite make sense, however, in that Toby's psychosis is never truly explained. Therefore, when he mentions the "shadows" to his nurse toward the end of the film, I was a tad perplexed. The visions he endured all seemed to pertain to fearsome spiders and the WWII bombing raids in which he'd participated, not menacing shadows. And were those sores on his back actually from spider bites (indicating that they were, indeed, real) or from his drop into the tub as is "reasoned"? The ending, too, is a tad bizarre as it leaves one hanging as to whether Julian Sands' doctor instigated all of the psychotic problems for Toby (either via drugs or by playing mind games such as withholding the mail and having sex with Toby's aunt, when he knew quite well that Toby, himself, was in love with her). Perhaps Toby had been merely suffering from shock after his paralysis as opposed to an actual psychosis. I haven't read the source material, which might help explain the story a tad better, but I can recommend the film highly to anyone wanting a glimpse of star-on-the-rise Robert Pattinson - post-Potter, pre-Twilight.
22 Comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 June 2009
I have to admit, I felt exactly the same about this storyline as some others. Im sure when I read the book, things will be that much clearer, but I really had very little idea what the whole plot was actually about. It seems this man is supposedly haunted by his visions during the War, yet he acts as though he has no regrets at all for any lives he may have taken, so when he starts to become haunted by spiders(?),and shadows, there's no real notion of exactly why...
Despite the fact that I felt like it ended just as it was getting interesting, I have to admit that I found Robert Pattinsons acting, extremely compelling to watch. He was the best thing in it by far, so it's probably worth watching just for that!!
on 19 April 2009
I really like this movie. I haven't read the book so I can't comment on how like or unlike it is regards to the book. if you are one of the millions and millions of screaming girls that loved Edward Cullen then this might not be the right movie for you (loving Rob myself I know other movies that would suit the twilight teen better like Harry Potter where he has a part that would suit you better). I loved the 'scary' parts and think that this movie is great for watching late at night when you want to see some Robert Pattinson not including the vampires or geeky looks:D Rob does know how to act (he's not just a teen idol) and this is one of his best performances according to me seeing as it's so far from the twilight world as possible!
22 Comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 May 2010
The novels of Dennis Wheatley were tremendous best-sellers in their time, and there's no denying that, on a good day, the man could spin a compelling yarn with the best of them. "The Haunting of Toby Jugg", from which this short TV movie is adapted, is perhaps one of his strongest books, mounting slowly, steadily and insistently toward a fine peak of paranoid hysteria as crippled-in-action pilot Jugg starts to suspect that the house in the country to which he has been sent to recuperate has been arranged for anything but a rest cure. He slowly begins to mentally unravel as the conviction takes hold that the apparently "nice" set-up is in fact the cover for a plot to drive him mad and take charge of the vast fortune he stands to inherit on his looming 21st birthday.

This being Wheatley, the villains are communists AND satanists, happy to use a giant spider from hell to make sure the Jugg millions are appropriated for World Domination and the destruction of the old Tory values that represent, for the author, everything worth saving as the world sinks under the weight of its own smelly wickedness.

Wheatley was a man of his time and his work, read from the vantage point of the 21st century, seems full of racism, sexism and arguments for Order and Discipline that sound more than a little jackbooty. But the fact that he was sincere in his belief that the world was about to be swamped by godless flappers and servants who answered back lends the best of his books a real gonzo energy that still crackles today.

That said, adapting pretty much any of his work for film or TV presents the problem of how to deal with the "unacceptable" aspects of the author's mindset. "The Haunted Airman" duly dispenses with anything that might root the story in the attitudes or opinions of the times in which the novel was written (fair enough) but forgets that if you're going to remove a significant part of the motivating power of a piece of material, then you'd better come up with something equally powerful to replace it. This the adaptation signally fails to do. The entire story is thrown away. Toby Jugg is no longer a fighter pilot who believes (however oddly, from our point of view) in using his millions to maintain Wheatley's idea of an ideal status quo, but a bomber pilot tortured by the idea that the bombs he dropped may have killed a little girl. The little girl is, of course, a Symbol of Guilt. The conspiracy against Jugg is replaced with the resident doctor's manipulation of this Guilt in order to get Toby to murder his auntie, for no other reason than to contrive a "tragic" ending. Sigh.
on 10 April 2009
I brought this the other day as I'd seen it back when it was on telly but couldn't remeber much about it. One thing aobut it that really got me was Robert's performance. I've been a fan of his for years and have seen eveything he's been in so far and this is one of his strongest perfomances, it's simply amazing.

When I brought this the other day I noticed that even though it had only been out a few days it was already at number ten, I'm geussing this is due to Rob's sudden hype thanks to Twilight, I'm telling you now if you're a fan of Rob's thanks to Twilight and are under the age of sixteen then this film isn't really for you, it's quite chilling and needs a mature mind to understand it so "Twilight Tweenies"...I'd stay anyway.

I'm glad I brought this as on performance values it's really good, an excellent addition to my quite vast DVD collection and it's got me interested in reading the book now.
33 Comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 June 2009
Robert Pattinson plays brooding, tortured souls to perfection so he's perfect as the gorgeous but tormented crippled airman. It's just a shame this production isn't worthy of him. There's some distinctly dodgy dialogue, woefully inadequate co-stars (especially the doctor) and some very amateurish post-production. I've given it 3 stars only because Robert Pattinson is so beautiful that whatever he's in is worth watching. You have been warned.
on 15 June 2009
I haven't read the book yet so can't compare but the film is excellent and Rob Pattinson proves he's not just a tweeny hearthrob. I'm an "older fan" and have been a fan of Johnny Depp's for many years and I can see Rob having a similar acting career having first spotted him as Cedric Diggory. A good story and the character "Toby" is excellently portrayed by Rob Pattinson. Highly recommended but not one for Rob's younger fans.
on 26 January 2012
I have to say, after reading the other reviews I am left wondering if we all watched the same film.
My mother bought this for me for Christmas one year, purely because it had Robert Pattinson in it, because at the time we were very much into all that Twilight stuff.
My first impression of the film was that I just wanted it to be over. I struggled to watch it through to the end and can safely say I will never be watching it again.
Some of the effects are... Ok I guess, but the story line and resolution were confusing at best, and unwatchable at its worst.

As far as I'm concerned this is a failure of a film which didn't draw me in at all. I like to laugh and cry and be swept up in the story, not completely repelled by it.
on 13 September 2015
Having read the book The Haunting of TobyJugg I was thrilled to see that it had been turned into a film. However I was very disappointed and the film does not do justice to the excellent Dennis Wheatley novel. The film has no references to black magic or the occult and has a heavy accent upon the main character's sexual impotence as a result of being wheel chair bound through paralysis. The film holds a completely different premise and emphasis to the original book. I donated my dvd to the local charity shop and am in no hurry to see the film again. Stick with the book it is vastly superior.