Customer reviews

Disgaea (Nintendo DS)
Price:£40.90+ £2.03 shipping

on 22 March 2015
Ok firstly a review for the buying process. Absolutely brilliantly packaged and like brand new , even a sticker keeping the case shut . Arrived amazingly quickly and and just good.
The game itself is a brilliant game , I used to play it a lot on the playstation 2 and it is so far identical to that and the ds controls work, this is by no means a bad thing . Will be playing this game a lot over the next couple of years and makes me glad I found my old ds again.
VINE VOICEon 22 July 2009
This game is part of a series of games that have been popular on the Playstation systems amongst RPG fans, and has finally been released for the DS (this is a port of Disgaea: Hour Of Darkness for the PS2). The story revolves around the demon prince Laharl, who upon his father's death, is fighting to gain the 'overlord' status. With him are a colourful cast of characters such as Etna, a demon with a few secrets, and her pack of Prinnys (Explosive Penguins!)

Gameplay is fairly simple, you control Laharl in non battle screens, walking through his castle that boasts several shops and other locations such as the sinister dark assembley and item worlds. Battle plays like many other tactical games, moving your characters like chess pieces almost, attacking until one side is dead! No, gameplay can be a little more complicated than that, with the use of geostones, that add effects to the floor tiles etc.

The game offers the player lots to do, and can allow you to make extremly powerful characters, which become needed in the later levels, as this game can be hard going. Every single item within the game can be explored through the item world, where ramdomized maps conceal often powerful mosters for you to battle. Leveling up items makes them more useful, so you have to invest time into good equipment.

If you are fan of RPGs, then this game is worth purchasing, with almost endless possibilities in terms of creating strong parties of characters (the level cap is 9999 after all). However, if you had this game for the PS2, then it adds nothing new to the game really.

Graphics: 9/10
Game Play: 8/10
Longativity: 10/10
Overall: 9/10
on 3 July 2010
I still don't know how to pronounce the title of this game despite owning it for several months now, but I don't think that's important. What is important is how much I love this game.

The first great thing about this game is that the voice acting doesn't make me want to tear my hair out. The main characters also have their own personalities, which I think makes it more interesting, and you're allowed to create your own characters and name them. Which reminds me, I must change the name of one of them, as I called one of my characters Cadence, and then I heard Cadence's voice... and it's a boy. Luckily, changing the character's name is easy enough, so long as they are not already pre-made characters.

The battle system is a bit like chess, including the fact that certain characters can only move a certain number of steps, such as the mages, while others can move further, like brawlers. Different weapons unlock different abilities. My favourite weapons are the guns because they allow you to attack from further away. I also like some of the special abilities, particularly the hurricane slash and the poison arrow (I think that's what they're called), which I think are graphically entertaining.

The game itself really requires tactics. You can do group attacks if you set them up properly, and you can time the destruction of geo symbols, or move them, in a way that is advantageous to your characters. In particular, I like moving invincibility geo symbols to only the coloured squares that I'm standing on, and then use my weaker characters to beat up the opposition (who obviously aren't standing on those squares) in order to level them up without running the risk of killing them.

I haven't tried the multi-play function of this game, so I can't rate that.

So far, I have played with this game for forty hours, and I'm only on episode 3. I really like the longevity of it. It's my favourite rpg by far.
on 7 April 2009
Disgaea (Nintendo DS)

Disgaea is an absolutely fantastic series as well as a knock-out rpg turn-based game. If you are new to Disgaea (like I was) but are interested in taking the plunge then this is definitely the place to start.

Improved features:

The DS version of this game (which is effectively Disgaea 1) includes a brand new alternative storyline alongside the original! Though I would recommend playing the original story first :)

The top screen on the DS has an overhead map/grid which really is essential for Disgaea gameplay since one of the game's only minor faults is its camera angle obscurity.

Lots of alternative endings!!!

The only aspect of this game that I can't comment on is the multiplayer since I've never had anyone to play against! Chances are, like other rpgs, this is not the game's strong point.

All in all, this is the best Disgaea experience ever. It goes alongside The World Ends With You, Pokemon Diamond and Advanced Wars in my DS collection.

The game's characters, story and gameplay are all top notch and the series' sense of humour is really something special. I'd easily recommend this over the recent PS3 release of Disgaea 3 - a handheld game on a powerful console seems totally out of place...

Play this and be converted Dood! Curse you Flonne ! ! !
on 9 September 2012
This game has loads and loads of side things to do and a really good isometric combat system. There is a slightly dark humour to the game which was pretty funny as computer games go. The game is very long, you could play it for months and months.
on 21 August 2010
From time to time, Disgaea word has been meaning fun and joy, and this one being a remade isn't an exception.

For the players who never tried any title from Disgaea franchise and do have Nintendo DS (and like Tactical RPG's of course) this is the time to try it out. You won't regret it. Time for fun dozens of hours along.
on 12 May 2011
awesome game great graphics if u like over the top special moves in a turn base style get this game