Customer reviews

Santigold (DMD new artwork)
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 4 February 2009
A great album. Not heard their stuff before the sample tracks on this listing, and am I glad I did! Sounding a little like M.I.A Paper Planes, but consistant aural pleasure across all tracks. A hint of native american sounds and a little Persian influence on another keeps it all fresh. 2-weeks and I've yet to take it out of my car CD player.
Recommended.
on 15 January 2009
A truly great album. Danceable, fun and melodic with a driving rhythm and strong vocals. I think this is just brilliant. It's hard to classify the style of music, which runs the gamut from rap to soul and reggae and pop to glam rock, but it's brilliant all the way through.

A really unique, strong voice - but running through an album full of a diverse range of songs and sounds. Definitely one of my very favourite albums of 2008, and one that I would happily name as a classic album. I can't believe more people aren't raving about this already. I'm sure they will be in the longer run - this deserves to be a very big hit.

The single that I heard from this really didn't do the album justice; I wish they'd released one of the better songs as a single instead.
on 25 January 2009
Dark baselines, great hooks, punk feel.
Don't slag it just because the music rags love it.
Santa's coming to town. x
on 1 December 2008
I bought this album on the strength of Lights Out, and am really pleased with it. I would give it five stars but there are maybe 3 or 4 weak tracks but I don't mind that. I would rather have 8 quality fresh experimental tunes and 3 or 4 that miss the mark, than 12 tracks of boring averageness.

For less than a fiver it's a bargain, just take a chance and get it.

'You'll find a way' is brilliant and my current pick of the bunch but I tend to change my mind as I become more familiar with albums - in a month I may prefer a different track.
on 23 March 2009
I bought this on the strength of having heard a couple of tracks on Santogold's MySpace page and have not been disappointed.

The album kicks off with one of the best singles of 2008, 'L.E.S. Artistes', and manages to keep up the pace throughout.

It's an intelligent mish-mash of musical styles (and even reminds me of Musical Youth in places!).

I highly recommend this, as it's one of the best albums of 2008.
on 31 January 2012
I loved some tracks on first listen, others took a while to warm to but I see their beauty now! Eclectic feel - indie, pop, punk, ska, reggae, hip hoppy R&B. This album is a cut above anything the pop world generally produces - its rawer and not afraid to be different. Catchy and upbeat music you'll soon be leaving on repeat...
on 17 November 2013
Santogold's self-titled album is a curious blend of various musical styles, just poppy enough to be pop, but just adventurous enough to sit comfortably outwith the mainstream.
Her vocals are strong, right from opening track `L.E.S. Artistes' and are backed by keyboards and guitars; the song sounds fresh, contemporary.
`You'll Find A Way (Version One)', meanwhile, is an up-tempo dance track in much the same way as `Shove It', which also has a definite Jamaican influence, featuring prominent horns and a definite `dub-reggae' mood.
`Say A-ha' is an obvious highlight on this album, a modern classic, sultry, up-tempo, gloriously danceable, whilst `Creator' embraces the genres of Dubstep, Grime and Electro. They are so many different musical styles explored here it's almost difficult to keep up, yet this doesn't damage the overall cohesion of the album.
`My Superman' and `Light Out' are far more laid-back, embracing a far less intense sound than on the rest of the album, but ultimately lack backbone, but `Starstruck' and `Unstoppable' are back to the same 'electro' groove, the former leaning towards Dubstep, the latter being more reggae-tinged.
`I'm A Lady' slows the pace of the album down again, but is sufficiently catchy so as not to be too unimposing, whereas `Anne' is a surefire album highlight, featuring sultry, echoing vocals and a hypnotic electronic beat. This is carried through into `You'll Find A Way (Version Two)', which is another highlight, embracing yet more electro-pop beats and an intense, sultry vocal.
This album's strongest attributes are an exploration of a variety of musical styles, coupled with a definite dance-floor sensibility.
VINE VOICEon 23 August 2008
Listen to anything remotely resembling pop music these days and you will always find a trace of the formulaic about it. If nothing else, the 21st century has refined pop music into something of a formulaic commodity. Mind you, there are some would argue Mickey Most was doing the same thing back in 1973...

Santogold's debut does contain some ambitions to meet some kind of blueprint. Upon first hearing I found it utterly generic - a record in search of a hit, if you like. The sound is clean and somewhat calculated.

Then after a few plays the thing reveals something of a little more substance. This may be slightly formulaic, ticking the electro-indie pop of "LES Girls" to the bouncy thrash pop of "Say Aha" or the elctro funk of "Creator" (which has a whiff of M.I.A.) about it. Suddely it starts to assert some individuality. Not something which instanly grabs you by the throat, yet turns out to be pretty satisfying.

This is a modern pop album, shifting through the genres gently morphing into some its interesting peers. After a few plays the record does reveal its better nature. Worth giving it the time to grow - not something we do in this modern age. This is one formula that is good.
on 4 August 2008
I brought this album after seeing Santogold perform a mash up with Roots Manouver, I have not been dissapointed. At first her voice has a similar same sound to Nelly Furtado but the originality of the music makes her stand out. If you like the party, rave, feel of M.I.A then this is definately a good investment, there is an element of ska and rave to all the tracks, ones to skip straight to are Creator and Lights Out.
on 25 July 2015
Her best work. I've listened to this album repeatedly and the contrast between the milder, more mellow songs with the faster and heavier tunes add variety to the listening experience, and depending on your mood, you can pick different tracks, making it appear as if it's two separate albums.