Customer reviews

LEGO Games 3840: Pirate Code

VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 January 2010
This is a simplified version of the old classic Mastermind game, where one player chooses a secret colour code, and the other player tries to work out the colours used and the order they have been placed in.

The Lego version is simpler because each colour can be used only once in the code (there are six to choose from). This makes the game easier for younger players. A multi-coloured die is used to limit the guess that each player can make: this introduces an element of chance.

One big plus of the Lego version of the game is that all players - up to four - can be both code-maker and code-breaker at the same time, so it's a better family game than classic Mastermind.

As with all of this range of games, there are suggestions for alternative rules. There are also pictures on the inside of the box showing how to turn the set into a Mastermind game - however, this lacks the black and white pegs you need to play Mastermind properly.

We had good fun with this set. However, we have since bought a version of Mastermind as well (Brainmaster), and we're finding that we play that more often than the Lego game. Pirate Code is probably best for eight to ten year olds.
on 16 January 2010
This is better than the Lego pyramids game. My son enjoyed making it up but it is not as challenging to play as I had thought. I imagined it was a version of Mastermind but it is much easier than that. If I wanted a 'guess the code' game for age 8+ I think I'd stick to Mastermind - I assume it is still in existence.
on 12 May 2015
Lovely Quality. Perfect gift.
on 21 April 2015
Another happy boy
on 24 August 2010
If you remember the game mastermind, well this is the same but more people can play.
This is a game that comes out time after time
well worth the money, i would recommed it to everyone.
on 10 January 2011
I bought this game for my son who has already spent hours enjoying his lego Minotaurs game. This game is equally as good (a fun version of the traditional Mastermind game) but it does take a little while for children to grasp the logical and tactical gameplay. My son is seven and I feel that it would be too hard if her was younger.
on 2 January 2010
We bought this for our son's 6th birthday. He is Lego mad so this did not disappoint. He was able to build the game and we then played it! A very simple game but great for his age group. His sister aged 8 also enjoyed it. The game falls apart a bit (well it is Lego!) if you're not careful when playing, but a neat little idea.
on 23 December 2009
Great Family Fun..
We all enjoyed playing the game
Excerlent value and fun to