on 17 July 2017
Very Good.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 June 2009
Picture and sound are at times stunning. Obviously the flight footage can look dated, but that's only due to the technology used at the time.

This is the definitive space travel documentary. It has pace, drama, action, some very moving moments and takes you on a spellbinding journey through the Apollo missions from the crew and flight director, Gene Crantz's point of view.

I own Nasa's greatest missions: When we left the Earth and feel that the Shadow of the Moon is far superior and more paletable. It has much more of a human quality to it and draws you into the action. It has huge re-watch value and every second adds drama to the story.

I wish I was alive when the Apollo 11 launched. It gives me chills to watch this oustanding Blu Ray.

I can't believe, 40 years later on, we haven't been back to the Moon!
33 Comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 November 2007
I thought this documentary was a wonderful introduction to the Apollo moon landings, really showing the human side of the experience and providing a great general overview of the achievements. I saw it on the movie screen and highly recommend it.

I also really liked the book of the same title, by C. Burgess and F. French, that not only covers the early Apollo flights, but also delves into the preceding flights, and what the Soviets were up to at that time. In the book, I learned about the early lives and early flights of these astronauts, and what it was like to be in the moment of flying the missions. In the movie, I learned what these guys look like today, and how they feel reflecting back on their experiences. Both film and book were perfect for their medium, and great accompaniments to each other.

Highly recommend both book and movie, and suggest experiencing both!!!!!
22 Comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 December 2007
Several months ago, I read in the newspaper that NASA were searching for the original colour footage of the Apollo 11 moonwalk. It appears that it was found, for the images of Neil Armstrong stepping onto the moon for the first time are prestine - and in colour.

All of the historical footage is completely clear - visually, the film is a masterpiece. I saw this at the IFI in Dublin and was completely stunned by how gorgeous it looked.

The interviews are also superb. The astronauts come across as human - they articulate their thoughts and feelings in a way that makes you feel as though you're sitting down to chat with a friend. Certainly a far cry from the "test pilots" I was expecting. Some of the comments are very funny as well - gotta love Michael Collins!

All said and done, you absolutely can not go wrong to buy this DVD. I've pre-ordered and can't wait for it to arrive!
on 17 January 2014
After reading all the other reviews i ordered this dvd and to be honest was left feeling a little flat. Whilst the photography is stunning and the commentarys thought provoking there was nothing i hadnt heard or seen before. What happened to all the filming done on the moon from the Lunar Rover.It was also a shame that only a handful of the astronauts actually took part. All in all a bit disappointing
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 March 2008
This quote ends the foreword to Michael Collins book 'Carrying the Fire'and applies perfectly to In the Shadow of the Moon. This is a wonderful film which I saw recently in the cinema and it brought back all the emotions and wonder I felt as a teenager at the time of the great Gemini space walks and Apollo moon missions.

As has been said already, by allowing the now elderly and rather beguiling astronauts to tell their story in their own words and using simply stunning film footage, the film let's us share the journey with the many who worked to make it happen and the few brave and fortunate souls who took the biggest trip.

The incredible shot of the third stage heading off into space whilst the second stage slowly slides away to reveal the huge earth against the blackness is aweinspiring. I was deeply moved by the sight of three humans inside that tiny light heading off into the void with their Magellanic belief, carrying the hopes of a planet.

Andrew Smith in his book Moondust asks if Apollo was 20th century man trying to communicate with the great unknown, equivalent to the pyramids, stonehenge and the like. Maybe it was but I think this film reinforced my feeling that it was a great endeavour and that we've lost something in spirit since then. Its greatest achievement was that we really saw the earth, fragile and beautiful and in need of help. T S Elliott got it right - "We shall not cease from all our exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time" Show this film to your kids, it will help them undestand who they are.
on 29 July 2009
If like me you are a fan of any sort in to the Apollo Program and all the great men who flew these missions back in the day then this is the ultimate film for you!! Superb clean visuals and sound of the missions and like it says on the box in the Astronauts own words (appart from Armstrong)they tell there story!! One of the best films ive seen on the subject, and to be fair this will leave you with a lump in your throat as you share there amazing adventure what they talk about they speak from the heart in detail! Its little things they talk about too that other films missed out add to this classic!! great extras too! Do yourself a favour and treat yourself to this you wont regret it, plus at this cheap price on Blu Ray you cant go wrong, Awesome!!
on 13 November 2007
I thought that this documentary was a wonderful introduction to the Apollo moon landings, showing the human side of the experience and providing a great general overview of the achievements. I saw it on the movie screen and highly recommend it.

I also really liked the impressive book of the same title, by C. Burgess and F. French, that not only covers the early Apollo flights, but also delves into the preceding flights, and what the Soviets were up to at that time. In the book, I learned about the early lives and early flights of these astronauts, and what it was like to be in the moment of flying the missions. In the movie, I learned what these guys look like today, and how they feel reflecting back on their experiences. Both film and book were perfect for their medium, and great accompaniments to each other.

I highly recommend both book and movie, and suggest experiencing both!!!
VINE VOICEon 10 January 2008
It makes such a refreshing change to see a documentary that is not out to make a scandal, reveal a conspiracy, or trick people into making fools of themselves.
This is a real treat, to watch a straightforward telling of the conquest of the moon, not from the technical perspective but from a very human perspective, using a combination of NASA photography, period newsreels, and most crucially, interviews with the surviving Apollo astronauts, with the exception of the notoriously reclusive Neil Armstrong.
There are no tricks being used here in the telling of the tales - just fantastic lingering shots of the moon as seen by the astronauts, and their very personal memories, told with candour and warmth. We learn how human they felt - the `right stuff' persona is taken off for a moment, and we see just how in awe they were - and still are- of what they were part of. This is all put in perspective of not just the space race of the 60's, but the Vietnam war which some felt guilty to be exempted from.
On a lighter note, we learn who was the first astronaut to pee on the moon, and the nervous moment when the moon land speed record was broken in the lunar buggy - at a breakneck speed of 18 kmh...
It's hard not to be a little moved by the stories being told, and the iconic shots of earthrise and the surface of the moon will blow you away, as the unhurried pace draws you through the events leading up to and during the landings.
Highly recommended.
0Comment| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 February 2012
Made in the style of Band of Brothers this documentary film is both a record of historical importance and an overview of personal reflection on my part. I remember watching in awe as I'd get home from school and see a rocket blasting-off into space and men talking to 'mission control' and those beeps that made it all seem so technical. A time made for boys. Men escaping from the earth.

New for me since that youthful age is the deaths of the crew who never took-off. The fabled first earthrise photograph was also beyond my years but the beauty of it all struck me then as it does now. Power, raw awesome power so plainly visible is so magnetic to watch. Man riding a female rocketship 'they rode her to the moon' is the language of ultimate release. Away from it all.

Also apparent to me now is the importance of the personalities involved. Of course the ultra-cool Neil Armstrong gets the accolades for guiding the vehicle to landing and taking that first step on the moon but the characters of all the individuals made it all happen as much as the scientific and technical developments.

My fifty years on this planet have given me an appreciation of language which gets richer as I get older. Some of the astronauts make no apology for using Biblical language 'another heavenly body' in Armstrong's own pre-flight words, as well as an Old Testament quote used on that first mission to the moon (without landing on it). They also 'set sail for the moon' and most movingly describe a view of earth 'hung in the blackness of space.' And all agree that Neil Armstrong's immortal words, as he took the first step away from our world, as perfect for the moment and eternity: 'one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.'

I have visited Houston, seen the Apollo rocket lain serenely on its side and even 'mission control' monitoring satellites was entered and duly photographed back in the mid 1980s. It was the size that struck me - how small the crafts were! Though appreciating the enormity of the achievement and now understand a progression for me from viewing live as a boy, making Airfix models, seeing the real thing and now in the comfort of home re-living the triumph of human achievement. It is the ultimate travel experience. Exploration, extreme danger and deep personal development. Touching the stars. One step at a time.