Customer reviews

Format: Blu-ray|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 September 2016
A movie for explorers. I walked a long way in the rain yesterday after not taking wet gear on my GPS expedition locally. You get to a certain point when you have to push yourself by saying something to entice you home. I knew I had spaghetti bolognaise with fresh pasta waiting to be conjured when I got back. And when I turned the corner, found a certain, definate route home I began to think of what film I would watch that night.

As often happens when you pick a particular film the reason only becomes apparent once you start watching. These two mountain climbers wanted to get away 'from the clutter of life' and this was 1985. It is a line I had not registered before. And my empathy for their trek went up to maximum. Of course I never had to face the fact that I would almost certainly kill my friend if I cut a rope but their will to succeed, to strive, to do what no one else has done, this I recognised completely.

This is the second time I've watched the blu ray having upgraded from the dvd version. On projection it is full widescreen no black bars and an absolute joy to watch. The narrative technique of using actors to tell the story to camera as well as watching the events unfold is a winning documentary format. The struggle home is the most affecting.

I recall that the rain was not a bother but when a passing juggernaut drenched me down a country lane it was my instant reaction that I remember now. I kept walking maybe ten metres, saw a little inlet, placed my treking pole against some bushes and began to squeeze the worst of the water from my baggy, lightweight grey sweat pants just as a face flannel. I squeezed all over, picked up my pole and walked on in the drizzle. You don't moan, don't consider dire retribution for the driver; you just keep going. Some people are a breed apart. It isn't talent. It's Life.

I have uploaded four mobile phone photos of my epic walk in the rain in Cheshire. See Satmap device review for further stories.
review image review image review image review image
on 16 May 2017
A recreation of an amazing climb in South America that went horribly wrong. If you feel that life is tough, just take a look at this film and see what it means to truly have to struggle to survive. Its amazing just how much someone can go through to just to live, amazing!
on 30 August 2017
Gripping true story, great music enhancing the film. If you like "knife-edge" this is for you.
on 4 September 2017
Wanted to see this having read the book, if you're into climbing you'll love it. Well worth a view!
on 4 May 2017
Excellent
on 19 February 2017
Amazing true story, gripping
on 8 March 2017
Couldn't take our eyes off the tv. Amazing. Must watch.
on 1 July 2016
This has to be one of the best films ever.