Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.91

on 27 July 2008
I cannot rate this album highly enough. This man died before his time and would, no doubt, have gone on to produce more work of the highest quality. If you love REALLY GOOD country/country rock music (i.e.American!) you can't do better than this - tracks 2 and 8 are heartbreakers. BUY IT!!
on 31 December 2008
I bought this album when it was first released in 1974, shortly after Gram's tragic death. Since then, despite some very fierce competition from the many hundreds of albums I have amassed in my lifetime, this still remains my all time favourite - need I say more, except to implore you to try it.
on 13 March 2011
I can't imagine who wrote Amazon's Product description, but he or she has it completely the wrong way round.
GP is a very good album, Grievous Angel is the one on which Gram Parsons's legend is built. What's more, that's
the general critical view too, from the NME Book of Rock II (when NME was a very different publication to the
Smash Hits for the 2010s it is today) onwards.
Every track is masterful, the harmonies of Gram and Emmylou Harris are so sublime that they are not of this
world and the band is a true supergroup (Elvis's very own band, no less: and for all those who might scoff at
that they must surely be able to get their head round the fact that he could command the very best).
File alongside Horses, Marquee Moon, Blood on the Tracks, The Band, Hunky Dory, Liege and Lief, Happy/Sad, Everyone
Knows This Is Nowhere, Mule Variations, Astral Weeks, Velvet Underground Live 1969: it's that good.
on 28 December 2013
Excellent pressing on good quality vinyl reasonably priced and sensibly packaged Gram Parsons sadly short lived music career greatly influenced today's modern Country music
on 24 October 2014
I prefer the Flying Burritos release this is my favourite solo outing and is pretty much essential for this particular genre of music
on 8 June 2013
Really pleased with CD... brilliant choice. I am enjoying listening to it and have run out of more words to write
on 26 September 2014
A booklet without liner notes and not even a personnel is unnaceptable
on 4 August 2013
I agree that I am writing this review from the perspective of a non-country fan. Up until a couple of years ago it was the only genre that I would not consider having in my collection but my son, who has an even more eclectic taste in music than me, has incrementally turned me on to Johnny Cash, Hank Williams and a few others. I was looking again at 1001 Albums 2011: You Must Hear Before You Die (1001 Must Before You Die) and saw this album again feature in a must hear list. This and hearing again recently about Keith Richards' admiration for him I thought that I should give it a try. I was immediately sorry I bought it.

Although instrumentally there may be some very skilled playing here it is just so hackneyed. My problem with country music has not been the quality of the musicianship, which is often excellent, it is the saccharine arrangements; it is music for listeners who do not want to put any effort into getting the music at all; musical fast food if you like.

If you do not absolutely love country music then avoid this like the plague; if you do love it then this is probably right up your street and you should probably own it already.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 April 2009
Not as dynamic as I expected it to be - very much in the Country genre.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse