VINE VOICEon 24 June 2010
I have just upgraded to my first digital SLR and after a lot of hunting around, decided on this one. My initial impressions are very positive. I love the fact that I can change the lens and that there are many available to choose from. Another positive is, although I am only starting out with the camera, its ability to shoot in RAW - a feature I plan to fully explore as my confidence and skill grows.

It is very light-weight and easy to handle, and in fully programable mode is just as easy to use as my old point and shoot but with much better results.

It has a 10.1 megapixel sensor, can shoot up to 3 frames per second - which is great for action shots, and has seven points of focus which has been great to get focussed on to non-central subjects. I also love the fact that it has a self sensor cleaning feature every time the camera is switched off.

For the money it costs, this - in my opinion - is great camera.
on 12 February 2011
I bought this camera as a present to myself when I finished Universtity. I had used my friend's Canon (model before this one) before and I found it easy to use. I did a lot of research before purchasing this camera but decided to get it after reading some of the reviews on here. I had gone from using a Sony Cybershot to having a go with this camera and I don't think that I'll go back to a little camera after using a D-SLR!

It is a fairly light weight camera so isn't too heavy for travelling with. You get the 18-55mm lens with the camera which is great for just starting out. I have since bought a bigger lens as I've got more confident using the camera. The great thing about Canon is that is compatible with some other (cheaper brands) for example I bought a SIGMA lens, 2nd hand to go with my Canon.

I'm still learning to use all the functions with the camers, which as a beginner is probably a good place to start. But to get it out of the box and to just start taking photos its great! I wouldn't be without it. You will need to get a memory card to go with it though!
on 10 January 2011
My last camera was an Olympus e-300 and I was frustrated by the lack of control it had compared to even the most basic analogue SLRs. I wasn't sure what to expect when I bought my EOS 1000D but was surprised to find that, despite it being an "entry level" DSLR, it had a fully manual setting (easy adjustment of ISO, focal length and shutter speed) as well as all the pre-set modes. I would recommend this to photography students who can't afford something fancy but want a good level of control and I would also recommend it to people less interested in the technical stuff but want something that takes high quality photographs. My only criticism is the plastic casing and general build quality which feels somewhat tacky compared to my Olympus which has aluminium casing and nice rubber grips. All in all a great camera though.
on 14 December 2009
First decent camera ever bought, bought it for my photography course in college, love it to bits. Cheapest one ive found lately. Takes some fantastic pictures and cant wait to go to Scotland for New Year, going to be snap snap snapping! Need to get to grips with the ISO's and Appertures etc but im sure i will get use to that. Really light and easy to hold. Easy to assemble and the settings arent complicated.
For a first camera i would defo recommend this one.
on 5 May 2010
This camera does what I want, when I want and with the lenses I already have from a previous non-digital Canon camera. The lens provided is ok, I do not want to do 'continuous shooting' so the lack of so called 'lens stabalisation' is not s problem.
on 16 January 2011
This was purchased as a christmas present and you couldn't fault it. Arrived very quickly and was well packaged. Obviously brand new in the box. My biyfriend loved it! You do get a spare lens with this so it's a great set and is rated as the best amateur SLR so obviously a great buy. You will however need to purchase a case and memory card seperately, especially as the camera doesn't have any internal memory, but don't let it put you off. It's great!
on 10 January 2011
I feel that this is an excellent starter Kit for anyone who wants to make the step from digital Compact to digital SLR. It's not going to break the bank, but is it going to enable you to start to see where the differences lie. I was a little conerned about a lot of comments I have read about the focusing not being consistent and the camera being returned. To Date however, I have not experienced this. I am also impressed by the length of time the battery lasts for - I was sorely tempted (from previous experience) to buy a seperate battery up front - Glad I havent - Over 250 pictures taken and it's not showing even half used yet and a lot of them have been with the flash. so far - very good buy
Cons - maybe it has not got all the fancy gadgets and extras that some of the compacts have and the more expendive SLR's. However - I don't think that should be a hinderance.
Although I'm normally friendly with technology, I found entering the world of digital photography to be an initial minefield of strange terminology and numbers! I had to buy a DSLR more out of need than will - a combination of University assignments and my own projects which required a powerful but, still, user friendly camera. After much deliberation, the EOS 1000D was a superb choice.

The most obvious point I'd want to discuss is why you would want to choose this camera over others of a similar price. As a bit of 'first time' advice, I found going to a shop and handling the cameras for themselves completely invaluable to my final choice. With this in mind, the EOS 1000D was undoubtedly the most user friendly of the bunch, and in the short time I've owned the camera, refrains from puzzling me too much. Though if in doubt, this package contains 3 CD-ROM's packed with Help information and guides, as well as the standard Instruction Manual and even a little 'Quick Guide' you could slip into a pocket!

When it comes to anthropometrics, the Canons of all the price ranges were far more comfortable to hold than the other models - in particular, the Sony Alpha series which had a very flat grip. To add to this, all the important buttons are within reach on the EOS 1000D without having to change your gesture, so once you learn what the buttons do, you can snap away without changing your position.

Finally, I saw the EOS 1000D as much more of an investment given that the majority of products in the shop I bought this from sold Canon-compatible products. Most DSLR's these days have universal accessories, but I found the overall service from Canon excellent. The box contains everything you could possibly need - even a UK and European 2-Pin power adapter, for when you go abroad. The icing on the cake is the way in which the dust-caps from the Lenses clip on to each other, so you don't lose them. Pure logic! The only thing missing of course, just like any other digital camera, is an SD card. Its good to know that the fairly new SDHC cards are compatible with this camera, too.

If you're a Mac user like myself, taking photos off the camera is as simple as installing a light Utility program and just transferring the data. Of course, I find the Mac OS X 'Image Capture' program to be even simpler.

One of my friends has a Canon that exceeds 14 megapixel, and even he said the 10 megapixel of this camera produced better results because the pixels were more spread out (apparently, the latest cameras aren't as fine as the pixels are too compact). With still being a beginner, I can only account for the fact that this camera produces wonderful shots, and the included lens kit is just ideal for every day use. The most important thing from my perspective is that I'm undertaking all my projects with ease - photo shoots have been efficient without any hitches, photographing artwork for animations is perfect... What more can I say?

Only issue I've had is the pricing - I've noted how the RRP has changed a number of times recently, which led me to buying it from the store were the price didn't change. I'm not sure why Canon would allow this too happen; one theory could be the weak pound/VAT, but who knows.
review image review image review image
on 23 November 2009
WHAT A FANTASTIC CAMERA!!! PICTURES ARE FAB!! Very easy to understand, you do actually use all the components because it is simply explained. I have had this camera 4 weeks i have cracked it. I am looking for larger lenses now.One thing to remember is....it does not come with a memory stick, so if you open it in the evening it is like having a toy without baTTERIES! Also you will need a carrying case asap, because you wont want to leave the house without it. I felt like David Bailey after 2hours. Worth every penny and more. I was one, for small Sony Cybershot for yrs. But now I am a Canon Girl....... because like L'oreal I am worth it!!! Ha! seriously chuffed. Plus Amazon cheapest prices ever.(Took fab pics of Beyonce, and fireworks) Get Me!!!
on 11 November 2010
Got this camera as a sort of beginners product and I have to say, great little camera, compact enough to take around, quite loud in focusing but not a problem for me! Bright flash, Very good quality pictures, Useful settings and a reasonably easy to use interface although people only just starting in photography should get an easier to use product, took me a while to get used to it. In short it's a great camera, looks great, not massive, good screen size and I think it's a great camera to have. I've always thought well of Canon and this is a confirmation for me.