Customer reviews

on 1 August 2017
I remember in the early 90s when I used to be in front of the TV in the mornings waiting for this show to come on. I loved it then and watching it now I still love it! I was amazed at how much I remembered, the stories, the characters voices, even some of the lines, it all came back! Real nostalgia! This cartoon is still action packed and fast paced. The Nickelodeon version isn't even close. Believe me, they just don't make 'em like this any more.
on 4 May 2017
Great
on 6 February 2016
Great DVD. Speedy delivery
on 27 October 2014
Excellent boxset, disgusting price! My five year old loves the original turtles as much as the new series, and we much prefer its (super-catchy) theme song. However, I bought this from amazon for £4.98 when it was first released in 2009. Shame on the studio for trebbling the price because of the new film! I will now have to wait before buying another copy. If they wanted more money, why not give fans what they want and release more seasons?! Season 3 was a classic with lots of self-referential humour and the introduction of characters such as the Rat King, Casey Jones, Leatherhead and Metalhead. It also has 47 episodes, which makes a mockery of all these silly region 2 releases of 3 or 10 random episodes.

On the plus side, the first two seasons, although only containing 18 episodes in total, are still some of the best in the series, with the right balance of action and humour (much like the new Nickelodeon series). Half of season 10 (four random episodes) is included as a bonus. Of course, in America you can get all of this in two separate releases for under five dollars each! (And every series is available on DVD over there.) On the other hand the quality of the American season one leaves a lot to be desired.
on 22 June 2009
I was hoping I would find the episode 'How it all began' on DVD but the only results were all VHS, that was until I found the 25th anniversary DVD of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and thats when I was like "Bring it on!" when I recieved the DVD and started to watch it my god it brought back memories from when I was about 5 years old, I've always liked the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and yeah I'm proud to have my own DVD of some of the classic episodes.
I've even noticed that when I watched the credits that it's got some of the voice actors from Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (NGC) and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2) including Cam Clarke (Liquid Snake), Rob Paulsen (Cyborg Ninja/Gray Fox) and Peter Reneday (Ames) and thought WOW! and I'm guessing thats how they started their voice acting Career. I really like this DVD, It keeps my Childhood Healthy and i'd never let the memory die on me ;).
33 Comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 February 2014
Excellent delivery, packaging, quality and my son watched this from beginning to end. Excellent value for money, 8 hours of entertainment for less than £15.
on 26 December 2013
As a child in the 80s I never got to see any of the first season of Turtles. I only came in mid-way through the 2nd season so when I saw this 25th Anniversary edition of the show I jumped at the chance to finally see how it all began and get my nostalgia hit from the other episodes.

Firstly, as some have pointed out there are no extras. Given the tag of '25th anniversary' I would have expected some kind of retrospective documentary (examining the Turtles craze, interviews with the original writers or voice cast or even just a guide to how to the series was edited for Europe). In fact this is just a combination of the US volume 1 and volume 2 DVDs which leads onto my second point...

The episodes are the uncut US versions. For those that don't understand what this means, in the 80s and early 90s there was concern in the UK about the effect of TV violence on children. This meant that references to ninjas and weapons such as nun-chuks and throwing stars were not allowed in childrens programs. This meant that the show had to be edited so that most of the scenes with Michaelangelo's nun-chucks were removed and even the name of the show was changed to Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. The introduction is quite different to what we got in the 80s in the UK. In our version all the images of nun-checks from the titles were replaced with scenes from the episode 'the incredible shrinking turtles.' It's very nice to see the episodes as they were meant to be seen but at the same time a bit sad no mention is made of the changes.

The episodes are in PAL 25 frames per second format and look pretty good for their age - the picture is a tad soft and there is a bit of edge-enhancement here and there but nothing too bad.

Overall this is a great package (especially as the price at the time of writing is about £10-11) full of nostalgia for those 30-somethings who were turtles-fans back in the day. One star off for the lack of extras (and subtitles)
on 20 November 2016
Great DVD far better than the new cartoon series in my opinion. My 3 year old girl absolutely loves this! I always remember Krang being more scary than this though and i was disappointed to find that now that i'm grown up he's not that frightening which is why i couldn't give it 5 stars! Still brilliant though.
on 31 May 2009
well i never thought it would get a uk release i have been waiting so long but finally for the 25th anniversary here is the very short season one{5 episodes} and the longer season two with 4 bonus episodes from season 10{i think?}to make up for the shortness of season one.

animation looks great to say it was mid 80s and it really is just as good as i remember it i sincerely hope this paves the way for the other seasons to be released as they are in america otherwise i will have to get them imported but i'll give it a bit of time yet.

deffinately recomend to anyone into there cartoons or for there children even,my nephew absolutely loves it and has his own copy now and he is a big fan of the newer generation ''tmnt'' BUY IT you will love it!
on 16 March 2013
As a childminder it's good to have something that the children will sit down for a short time after a busy day. But as I'm washing up in the kitchen with Ninja Turtles on TV in the lounge it takes me back to a time when it was my own chidren (now adults)watching this in the other room. The stories have quite a lot of comedy in them and is amusing for everyone. The dvds also have a generous amount of bonus tracks with snippets from the movie. It's very good and the children love it too.