on 7 July 2010
I have been using the same pair of Sennheiser CX300 earphones for over 3 years now with a brief spell with the Sennheiser MM50 iPhone earphones (they lasted 3 months then fell apart). I was dudious of buying anything other than Sennheiser but I wanted a pair of earphones that I could answer calls, skip tracks and pause my music on my iPhone and after my experience with the Sennheiser MM50 iPhone earphones I decided to go for the Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220vi earphones. The sound quality is on a par with the Sennheisers however I do find that I have to go one notch higher on the volume while listening to music on my iPhone than I would with my old Sennheisers. The call answering button works well for obviously answering calls, skipping tracks and pausing music. The microphone is also good and I would say better than the one on the Sennheiser MM50 headphones I had. The headphones look and feel very well made and I like the fact that the inside of the right earphone is red just so you don't put it in the wrong ear. The little case for storing your headphones in is a nice little addition that works well. I have had no problems with actual silicon ear buds as I read a lot of people were complaining about the size. I use the large ones and they fill my ear more than my old Sennheisers and therefore block out more backgound sound. Price wise I think the price is about right for a good pair of earphones with call answering facilities and good build quality. Overall a really good pair of headphones.
on 2 June 2012
At first these were great, cancelled out the external noise and bass was adequate.
Quality felt great too for the price.
However, after 6 months, one side simply stopped working.
Cannot recommend these on that basis.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 February 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These earphones come with three different sized rubber ear pieces. This means that they should be suitable for any ear sizes. However, after trying them out, I have to say I find my original iPod earphones more comfortable to wear. On the plus side, the sound quality goes some way to make up for the discomfort (which isn't terrible, I might add - they just feel slightly funny!)

These earphones give great sound quality over all ranges - from bass right through to soprano - without a hint of distortion. The same cannot be said for my iPod earphones which sometimes struggle with bass sounds, particularly when the volume is rather loud!

This product also comes with a handy carry case to store the earphones when not in use, which I find extremely useful as the wires don't end up getting tangled up in everything! It does look as though the plastic hinge may snap after a prolonged period of use, but for now, it's a very good idea. Overall, I'm relatively happy with these earphones, which do the job they're designed to do, albeit with a slight discomfort for me anyway.

UPDATE: I feel I must add to this review regarding customer service of the company. I managed to lose one of the ear cushions, so I contacted the company asking how I could manage to obtain another set. I was fully expecting to have to pay for them, however when I got a reply back the following to say that a pack of 10 were on their way, I was absolutely shocked! So, customer service at Logitech certainly know how to impress!
on 25 January 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been very impressed with these earphones; they're not cheap, but on the other hand they are the first pair of earphones I've come across that actually don't feel uncomfortable in my ears (it helps a lot that the product comes with a number of "adapters" that allow you to choose the one that fits your particular ears best) and that don't fall out when I move my head. Sound quality is excellent, and the ability to pause and skip tracks on your iPod using the switch on the earphone lead is a great addition too. Highly recommended.
on 2 April 2010
These earphones are a big improvement on those I had before. The sound is good and passing cars do not drown out the spoken word, a big plus! Only problem for me is the size of the earbuds. Even the smallest ones enclosed(and you get 3 pairs) were a little too big to fit comfortably into my ear canals. This means that they sometimes drop out. Ear canals vary enormously in size. I know I'm not unusual.
VINE VOICEon 23 January 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It is important to test headphones against another model or brand in a similar price range. I tested against a pair of Philips High Definition Headphones with `full sound technology` that came with my Aria Mp3 player (so slightly lower in value). The Philips headphones, are cheaper but sound better.
The MetroFi 220vi:
We enter professional territory here. Ultimate Ears are the folks that make the custom moulded earpieces & headphones that 75% of professional touring musicians use. So, we expect something good from this product, all be it at the lower end of the price scale.
Firstly a minor note regarding the length of the cable. It could be slightly longer. Not everyone has the iphone/Mp3 player in their top pocket. For listening to audio using a PC, you'll need the hard drive to be fairly close.
Design and comfort: The headphones earpiece is thankfully, small (a VERY important factor I'll explain in a moment) and fit snug and tight in the ear canal using a choice of cup. Anyone who does not agree is probably just not used to using these type of high end headphones. They should fit tight in any ear.
The small size of the the actual ear piece is important as it's hard to lie down and enjoy music or TV on the sofa or in bed if the earpiece is pressing against the ear by the pillow. 5 stars for design.
Sound Quality: while there is no doubting the 220vi's produce quality audio - it lacks a certain punch.
For example, I listen to a lot of country music. I tested these headphones listening to the rich deep baritone vocals of Randy Travis and Marc Chesnutt. It's sounded as if the instruments were given priority while the vocals were buried slightly. I also compared some live Katie Melua and noticed that the 220vi's made her sound too prefect, lacking the punch the Philips HD's provide.
Example of sound issue:
The best way to describe the sound issue with these headphones it to imagine being at a live concert in a large arena. You walk off to buy a drink and as you return to your seat from outside you hear the sound getting closer and closer. These Ultimate Ears sound like you are never quite there. Maybe they are technically better but some of the richness is lost.
In general, that said, these are excellent headphones and should easily replace the entry level ones that come with your media player.
on 6 April 2010
I've been using these for a couple of weeks. The sound quality is awesome, at least for my needs. I'm using them on an iPod touch, so the button comes in really handy for changing between songs. They're ok for running around as long as I have a head band that keeps them from falling out.

The earbuds might not fit into every ear - there are 3 sizes included, I'm using the small ones and my left ear becomes a bit uncomfortable after a couple of hours, but they're replaceable. I've heard that Comply tips might fit well for some people.

All in all, happy with the purchase!
on 2 June 2010
A cursory glance through Amazon reviews is enough to tell you both that headphones range in price enormously, and that the relationship between price and quality is not altogether straightforward. It is now possible to get some remarkably good headphones for under £30.

But once you want to include a built-in microphone so that you can use your headphones with your iPhone, the choice gets altogether more limited. I did a fair amount of research before going for these MetroFi earphones, and it felt like quite a lot to pay. Did I get value for money? Well yes and no.

Yes, they are well made and durable; no concern they will fall apart. Right and left are distinguished by internal colour - which is a neat and pleasing touch. And the microphone is very well situated high up on one of the cables. But, no, the sound quality is not special. It's true they are slightly better than standard iPhone/iPod headphones (though these are in any case nothing like as bad nowadays as it is fashionable to claim), but the improvement comes largely from the tighter fit of the bud-style. The sound quality is open, but it has neither brightness nor depth: there is no danger that you will suddenly hear something you have never heard before, unlike some headphones.

Perhaps more disappointingly the microphone sound quality isn't great either. You will find yourself holding the mic right up to your mouth, and even then, if there is background noise, the person you are speaking to may struggle to hear you.

So all in all these are fine to get by with - and at half the price would have been perfectably acceptable. In any case they are so damn well-made I am lumbered with them. But I'd advise you to extend your research further than I did and see if you can do better.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 2 February 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ultimate Ears are suppliers of earphones to the musical gentry. They owe their market leadership to their reputation for quality, so it was quality I was expecting here.

It was quality that I found, I and a small number of others whom I involved in testing this set. We are none of us experts and we did not carry out anything by way of comparative trials with rival equipment. However what we found was excellent sound-quality and phones that are comfortable to wear. This opinion seems to be in conformity with most other reports that I have seen. Real experts may be a bit more discriminating, but I can't imagine that any ordinary users among the general public are going to be dissatisfied. Provided you think the price reasonable I doubt you will find anything to complain about.

The promotional announcements specify most types of players and receivers (MP3 players etc) with which these headphones are compatible. They have been suggested as suitable for use in the gym, but in case nobody else has mentioned television receptors they are compatible with some of those too, including the TV channels available on the cross-trainers, cycling machines and running machines in my own local gym. MP3 players are so last week.
VINE VOICEon 18 February 2010
These headphones are great. I had a pair of Sennheiser in-ear before but I prefer these. The sound quality is much better all round and they are more comfortable to wear. My only criticism would be that the wires are quite stiff so they don't hang as comfortably and loosly as others I have had, but that is only a small point. I am really pleased with these.