Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Best of 2017 Shop now Shop now

on 5 February 2010
Excellent for the money,I use lots of power tools in my work and this actually cuts better than I expected, it is a little heavy for some people but most pole pruners have that problem. The cable on any 240V tool of this type can get in the way while working but if you need to do a lot of work in one session then this machine is much more practical than a battery version.
All said it is much better than expected and at the price if I wear it out on the large job I bought it for then it will have earned its keep but so far it is still going.
11 Comment| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 September 2012
This was my first experience with a chainsaw and I was cautious to a fault, if that's possible. To be fair the instructions say 'Danger of Death' more than once, so I was on high alert. This made me a very nervous user, so that's a qualifier to bear in mind around this review. I'll give you the main pro's and con's.
The pro's: this has a good reach and adds about 13 feet to your cutting height. It goes through branches of about 12" radius like it's cutting through butter. I have used it to do serious pruning to three trees so far and it's made short work of everything in reach.
The con's: The principal issue with this is how top heavy it is, with all the weight on the end of a pole, it's the least manoeverable garden tool you will ever use. It's not practical to try to modify the length of the thing so really it has a fixed length. This means making lower cuts requires you to stand back and lower the angle of the pole, however much below 45 degrees and the weight is so punishing you can't hold it for long. I positioned the end of the pole in my right hip, with the neck strap and both hands to steady it. You are pouring with sweat after 15 minutes of this. Anything except the 'classic' overhead cuts are very tiring indeed. On a lesser note, it drinks oil like no tomorrow. The enclosed bottle is all gone in 20 minutes - while you're still learning to use it really. You can buy generic chain saw oil in any good garden shop that does the trick - buy a big bottle for about 8 pounds. Also, be certain to buy unbreakable eye protectors from a hardware shop; it sprays you with high velocity wood chips and you won't want to let go of a running chainsaw to clutch your eye, so again it's a few pounds very wisely spent.
Summary: If you are careful and strong or carefull and do most of your cutting about 12 foot overhead, this is an excellent tool. Remember it's a bit unwieldly for cutting lower branches, and definitely don't try to stretch or use it on a ladder for higher branches or you could be inviting disaster.
0Comment| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 July 2010
Excellent purchase it made light work of removing conifer branches approx 3" thick, would definitely recommend this unit.Ryobi 720W Pole Prunner
on 2 April 2017
Brought this three years ago. Worked great for the first 2 years. Then one of the hoses taking chain oil from the reservoir to the chain split. Oil everywhere. Thought I had succeeded in fixing this but then the next time I used it the motor caught fire. Now it's off to the tip.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 July 2011
Good quality product. A bit heavy to use but this is to be expected with a tool of this type. Makes short work of difficult to reach branches. I did consider a petrol version but I think the downside of the electric cable is better than the option of handling/storing petrol and exhaust fumes.

Take care when doing initial assembly to get the poles the "right way round" as they can be inserted the wrong way (which can cause a problem)even though the relatively poor instructions say this can not happen.

Would definitely recommend the product, and as ever, very good service from Amazon.
on 8 May 2011
after looking at reviews on this product i decided to purchase from amazon .co.uk not only was it over ten pounds cheaper than screwfix but was delivered in less than two days. the tool itself is a bit heavy as all the reviews say ,but it makes short work of the job your doing ,just keep your eye on the oil if you are going to use it for a long time say 30 minutes or more.make sure you wear safety glasses etc.amazing tool cuts like a dream
0Comment| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 April 2010
I echo swifty's review. Does what it says. A great tool but can be heavy to hold when it is at its full extension. Make sure you keep the chain correctly tensioned and the oil reservoir full. Wouldn't be without it.
on 16 July 2010
Good: being electrical it is quite quiet. It cuts through branches very easily and the blade is big enough. A decently long cable is provided.

Bad: Rubbish instructions, I had to telephone Ryobi. Make sure you remove all the black rubber grommets otherwise the poles will stick together solid. My first unit did this and the chain fell off. My replacement unit had an intermittent electrical fault and went back.

Conclusion: A very handy piece of equipment and is a very capable cutter.This is provided though you can assemble it and it is reliable. I will try one last time with a third unit.
44 Comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 May 2011
This works very well. It is heavy at the pruning end, but I was able to use it in short bursts without difficulty. I've ordered some additional oil based on one of the other reviews, but so far I've not needed to use it with more than half an hour's use. The grips are comfortable. The shoulder strap can get in the way a little, but is useful to support some of the weight. I think a face mask is pretty essential as bits do fly sideways. I have used it on a ladder, and my ladder-mate needs a hard hat to protect her head during pruning! Great piece of kit and very good value.
on 28 August 2012
Have just received Ryobi Pole Pruner so not had time to assess usability but experienced problem with assembly. Fitted three part poles together as instructed, bearing in mind "WARNING failure to lock powerhead pole could result in serious injury or death"! Poles lock together by spring loaded "screwhead" button. Unfortunately,what happened with mine was the poles would not then telescope to reduce length.
Called Ryobi customer help line (at least 30 min wait for my turn) to find out that poles have to be given sharp push in to"wear in" edge of grey plastic.
This seems to me poor engineering by Ryobi for a part which is quoted as being critical. Their service guy could not pass any helpful comment on this aspect which concerns me a great deal.

Trevor Chitty