on 3 July 2009
I have been using Corel painter since version 4 and think the best version is version 6. Since Corel took over the application it has seen some improvements; painting along a path is ingenious and the oil painting although of limited value to my own working method is really cool. But parts of it have got steadily worse with each release, brush size sliders are now 'drop down' (WHY?), dragging a brush out to place it on the canvas causes it to grow a large panel when the small icon would be infinitely better, the pressure sensitivity is jumpy at best (even with the new Intuos 4), the keyboard short cut for changing brush size is not accurate enough to be anything other than a gimmick, it would be much better to have the brush size slider appear at the tip. I could go on; I have a long list complaints collected over the years which I talked to Corel about but to no avail.

Painter is vastly better than photoshop for painting digitally and is the only application I would use but it is very flawed. The application is confusing and burdened with too many features that are not useful to a professional artist. The claims made for various brushes are nonsense...I would challenge someone from Corel to tell me the difference between say a 'fine tip marker' and a 'smooth round pen' ; they may be different under the hood but they look exactly the same when drawn on the canvas.
The new release Painter 11 is good for one reason; they finally introduced a 'polygon lasso'. but having bought it a few months back I don't use it because it is so buggy (missing strokes being the worst bug) and have gone back to 10. If you do buy it, my advice is to open the brush creator and switch off all the settings and experiment with each setting one by one, saving a brush when you get one that works. You'll soon have a collection that suits your working method. Also make use of the keyboard shortcuts; this is a fantastic feature which allows you to keep all the shortcuts at your non-drawing hand which means you can paint without ever looking away from the screen.
Painter is an application that needs to be wrestled free from those who want to add gimmicks to justify each new release and put in the hands of developers who would have the guts to strip it down to the great application hiding under all the garbage.
on 1 June 2009
I have recently upgraded to Corel Painter 11 after using the version Painter Elements, which came with a Wacom Tablet that I purchased earlier. I have found that Corel Painter 11 has so many more options available to use compared with its simpler sibling. Personally I like the option to read and write PSD files which makes it easier to work alongside Adobe Photoshop (Elements 7 in my case). If I was to make a complaint it would be because the program is so feature rich; that it takes a while to come up to speed, but there are teaching videos provided, and also Corel provides a magazine for Painter which all help to speed up this process, if you are prepared to put in the ground work.
on 21 October 2010
Still the best paint program you can buy, it has the most easy to work with painting system and so much choice and a price thats not to over the top and I was happy to pay this for what you get is awsome, painting without the mess of tradition paint methods a simple layout and very easy to use interface if i had any gripes with it then it would be the loading of new brush sets thought the brushes it does have are more than enough for any budding painter out there.
on 23 February 2010
I already have photoshop elements 5,and was looking to upgrade.the cs4 is way too expensive for my pocket,and at the end of the day,I was more interested in the art and painting side of things than the photography,and if you want to do digital artwithout the mess or room for mediums and canvases then I dont think you can beat this product,it's brushes are awsome,
Ifelt it was well worth the money for my uses,and I still have the option of using my elements 5 to alter pics if needed.
on 21 December 2016
Hefty program that reduces you to tears and your computer to a snail. I did not enjoy using it with a tablet, did not find it intuitive, it was fiddly and ultimately disconnects you from the 'arty' feedback you associate with painting. Brushes are fiddly and life has more to offer.
on 14 June 2013
If you're serious about digital painting then this software is top of the Must Have list. Excellent support for Wacom graphics tablets. Easy to use if you're already familiar with the usual layout. Good Help and support.
on 1 January 2011
i bought this with sale price :)
and i love it! as i used this programme since i was in freshman in Uni.
it there is regret update doesn't work for me. (im a Mac user)
i think i need to ask for it.
on 10 March 2010
This is a brilliant programme, dont get me wrong, but windows 7 users may have some problem installing it. i did, and i fixed it by running the intallation as administrator (go into computer, right click the disc symbol and click 'run as administrator). its kindof silly since i am the administrator anyway, but there you go, its just a silly bug =]

the programme itself is really really good, the brushes realistic, its great for speed paintings and quick landsacpes and concepts too. if you want a photo manipulation programme go for photoshop instead =]
on 24 June 2009
Corel Painter is to painting applications what Adobe Photoshop is to photo editing the worlds number one.