on 14 November 2012
Purchased just over 3 years ago, and although not heavily used, it has packed up! Hard disk gone, and would cost £220 to fix! I might as well buy another one, but not inclined to go with Sony. Also, did not find it easy to stitch together the bits of film to make a complete 'movie' of your memorable holiday. Compact and easy to use though. With cameras now able to do moving images, might as well stick with what I have!
on 12 November 2015
Good product
on 7 June 2013
I have bought for my nephew on his 9 years old birthday and I know the whole family are using the device!
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 May 2011
I bought this over a year ago and held off reviewing it until I have experienced and tested it adequately. I am really glad I choose this camera. At the time of purchase there was a lot of similar cameras from Sony with subtle differences like surround sound, mono and battery life, and size of the hard disc depending on the model e.g. SR 57, SR 57E, SR78, SR 78E etc. I chose this one for it had 80GB 800 k pixel CCD sensor Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens with 60x optical zoom/2000x digital zoom; with 61hrs continuous recording capability as well as surround sound. The battery life is about 11hours but I bought a spare battery with a longer duration but have not had cause to use it. The 5.1 surround with zoom mic for clearer dialogue and sound of foreground subjects was the clincher for me as I needed this specifically for recording of lectures. The LCD is 2.7" and is touch screen, very easy to use and navigate. On standard recording it is 61hrs but becomes less if on high definition recording. It can capture still pictures once switched to image mode from video mode and can also create still pictures from the video recordings. All in all it is a very good product and I am very happy with it.
on 10 September 2009
This camcorder is nice and small - very compact - easy to use.
I would recommend this product.
on 2 August 2009
I bought this camera in a hurry as my old one died and we had a holiday coming up in just one week, I didn't have much time to do research so bought it mainly due to the reviews posted on Amazon and took pot luck, luckily it arrived on the morning of the day we were leaving! I can only echo the praise lavished upon this camera by others in their reviews, it is simple to use, very compact, the zoom is truly amazing, it's quick starting so you don't miss any action and the battery life is very good. I bought a spare battery but never really needed it as the supplied one recharges very quickly. My only gripe would be that in bright sunlight the screen image is hard to see when filming. I have only used the best quality setting for recording (19 hours worth available on this setting) and the result when transferred to DVD via the DVD recorder I use with the TV was brilliant. In short, I am very happy with this camera and recommend it wholeheartedly.
11 Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 January 2010
Purchased this camcorder in spite of the less positive reviews it received, as it appeared to offer exactly what I was looking for.I had been considering and had investigated many models prior to purchase. I have previously owned 2 sony and one JVC camcorder, all of which had provided good service over many years.This new one is so much lighter,it is like a toy, however the quality of picture in good light is very good.It is easy to operate and has a number of excellent features.The large in-built memory is wonderful,no need for tapes or DVD's.The powerful zoom works well and on a tripod provides super close up footage.I cannot understand the critical reviews for this wonderful little camcorder,which is great value for money especially when I consider how much I have paid for each of my last three.Will it last as long as the old, heavier, more expensive models ? well we shall see, but I cannot see why it shouldn't as it was the tape recording function that caused me problems in the past.So far then I am very happy with this great little machine.
on 24 February 2010
I bought this as my first camcorder last month. The first thing that strikes you when you take it out of the box is it's size - it's literally tiny! But due to it's harddrive it has a good weight to it, so not bad to hold at all.

Unfortunately we discovered from the moment we turned it on that it was faulty, the LCD screen flickered intermittently, so much so that it was difficult to film with. Very disappointing.

We did some tests with it, and downloaded the footage, the picture quality was fine, and the flicker really was only the display and did not effect the filming.

Unfortunately it was too much to deal with and we sent it back. Amazon came good and gave me a full refund.

I've rated it 3 stars because although faulty, I think we were just unlucky and it was probably damaged it transit. Had it been without defects it would have been a great little camera. On the other hand, we did more research and instead opted for an HD camcorder, the Panasonic HDC-SD200 - which is just amazing if you are willing to spend anther £200!

Having said that, I think unless you are unlucky like us and get a faulty one, the DCR-SR37 is a good little camera for the price bracket.
on 27 August 2009
This is a brilliant camcorder, i have searched for ages to replace my old sony HI tape type. you can get too baffled by all the choice out there. if you want a great family camcorder to record your holidays and family, this is one for you, i know there is far more technical camcorders out there, but i do not want to record weddings, use a tripod or anything like that.

If you want a point and go camcorder, not too complicated, this is one for you. great for holidays and is brilliant to catch them funny moments with your children, as records in seconds when lens cover and lcd screen opened.
Simple to watch on your tv ,just plug in the lead supplied and simple to put on DVD.

Extremely light in weight and very clear picture on LCD screen, i was a bit concerned about not having the additional viewfinder, but the camcorders nowadays dont seem to have them unless very bulky and expensive. LCD screen is fine.
ONE disadvantage is the rubbish battery they send with them, i dont know why Sony bother really it would be better to charge a bit more and put a decent size battery!!!, it lasts 90 mins in SP mode,

I bought a new Sony bigger battery straight away off amazon, (they were cheapest) for a genuine Sony battery. i also bought the additional 5 year cover off Alliance through Amazon, that is defo cheapest on the net, £59.99 for 5 years, is a long time and good value, far more expensive elsewhere.
11 Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 January 2010
We are so please with this Handycam. We have two small children so it is perfect with it's quick start up and it is wasy to use. The battery that was supplied with it is not very good so we bought a larger one (that is nearly as long as the camera) but it last so much longer so is worth it.