on 29 January 2010
Been using polar HR watches now for over 5 years and decided I wanted something to measure my distance. Looked at the Garmin GPS watches, but for my running the FR60 does everything I need. I just can't justify paying the extra £100 for the GPS version which looks ridiculously large (esp for a female), or the 405CX which looks like a watch but many ppl seemed to complain against poor water proofing or ulta sensitive screen.

The virtual partner is great and really fun. Uploading data is very impressive. I previously had a Polar F6 and to upload my data I had to have the watch 'speak' to a microphone. The Garmin software appears far more advanced then the Polar. As the Polar F6 doesn't have the option for a foot pod, it only measure HR, so the data seems really boring. Using the ANT+ the watch is detected almost instantly and my run data is uploaded within seconds!

The bundle pack at Amazon is great and good value. The footpod is sooo small.

I did find the included chest strap is too big for me, so if your looking for a smaller strap here a link

Garmin FR60 Heart Rate Monitor Elastic Strap for Forerunner 405
on 29 March 2010
I'm fairly new to running and wanted a simple device that would tell me the time and distances I'm running when I'm outdoors.

This watch is brilliant! It's so easy to use, and does exactly what I wanted. The bundle I bought includes the watch itself, a footpod, a heart rate monitor and a USB thing to allow data to be transferred to a PC. I doubt that I will use the HR monitor or the USB thing in the near future.

The 'Virtual Partner' is great fun, and allows you to set a target time per mile, and the watch will then show you whether you're behind or ahead of your virtual partner, who is shown as a little running man. It's a great way to push you that little bit harder, and frankly very satisfying when you finish ahead of him!!

The watch is a nice small size but with an easy to read dial, and the footpod is small. It's completely unobtrusive when it's attached to a shoe.

The only difficulty I had was initially getting the watch and footpod to recognise each other (or pair up). I tried it several times with both the watch and the footpod sitting next to each other at various locations/distances apart, but the watch kept saying 'SDM not found'.

After a bit of research on the internet, I realised that you have to be wearing the watch and the footpod, and you need to take a few steps for the watch to connect with the footpod. They connected in just a couple of seconds.

After that, I was away and running. Highly recommended!
on 10 September 2011
Cannot rave about this enough, absolutely love it. Am new to running, and exercise in general, and wanted something that would help me to keep my heart rate up. Also, because I run through woods and fields Google maps couldn't tell me how far I was going. This is easy to set up and use, beeps if my heart rate drops below the settings, tells me how far I have run, average pace, speed, heart rate etc, connects remotely to my PC so that I can see how my running is progressing. You can also set a 'virtual' running partner to race against - I haven't used this yet but will make use of it as my fitness improves. It can also be used on a bike and is water resistant to 50M. See DC Rainmaker for a more comprehensive review, but for a beginner who needs to know the basics, this is spot on. Furthermore, I initially bought one from Argos, but found that it did not include the foot pod (necessary to tell you how far you have run), I returned it and paid less at Discount World UK for one that DID include the foot pod. Am a very, very happy Amazon buyer.
on 26 September 2010
This HRM gets the job done. It's not super intuitive and I've had to look on the forum and call Garmin to figure out the training pages etc.

Also, the plastic chest strap isn't a great fit. I have the strap as tight as it can go and sometimes I have to hold it to my chest for an accurate reading.
on 11 December 2011
I got this HRM watch for my wife who was just getting back in to her running. Despite the slightly odd looks she loved this watch from the very beginning.

Out of the packaging the set-up process was very simple. The foot pod worked well and all relevant information was captured and transferred to the laptop with ease. This has been used for running, BMF circuits and cycling.

My wife has now had this for well over a year and the watch has endured rain, mud and sweat pretty well. We needed to change the battery at the 12 month point but again that was simple too.

The sale price made this a bargain buy and the wife did not take this as an insult when she got it for her birthday - bonza!
on 15 December 2012
Got this to really kick start my running and have been really pleased with the results. Helps to load onto Garmin site and keep track of mileage, calories, heart rate and map favourite courses to train over. Good value for money and it is an ideal size on wrist - only complaint is there not an easier way to attach to running shoe (footpod) always checking it is still there as I am out running.....
on 13 October 2011
Great entry level product and ideal for the first steps in getting fit. Fantastic motivator to see your runs on the computer
on 4 March 2012
Word of warning re the Garmin FR60 - watch states it is water resistant 50m but I got caught in a rain shower whilst running yesterday and on returning home found that the watch screen was totally blank and misted up and the watch was constantly beeping, it is now totally dead. Obviously the rain water has leaked into the watch. Awaiting a response from Garmin.
on 27 March 2012
I've had this watch for a while. Before buying it, beware of this design fault: the strap is integral to the watch and cannot be replaced when it breaks. So when it does break, you have to throw away the watch, or get a replacement from Garmin. The replacement is cheaper than a new watch, but very expensive when you think that all you need is a new strap.
on 14 July 2011
I have a Garmin 305 already but wanted a HRM which would give me my calories burned in the gym etc. this came with the footpod and the hrm and worked right out of the box no problems. The footpod in my view is very accurate and its nice to track speed real time without the lag of GPS. The watch is very simple and nice not to have to charge it up constantly. The software for garmin is really good too and there is loads of information there. Would recommend!