Customer reviews

Style: Lens Only|Change

on 15 August 2016
I'm just beginning and this is my first lens (other than the kit 18-55mm lens). I bought it because it's the cheapest prime lens available and many experienced people recommend it. I tried it in the streets, and I noticed that it is not really meant to be used to take pictures of entire buildings (churches,...), since it is difficult to get everything in the frame. It works better for random pictures of people, signs, flowers, details of buildings, cars, food, dogs and bigger animals, children... It is really good for portraits, the large aperture gives a good control over the depth of field. I haven't really tried low-light photography yet, but I expect it to be quite good in those situations.
A lens hood and a cool leathery pouch are included, which is nice. The lens hood is very useful for protection, just leave it on there all the time. If you need to store the camera in a bag, you can put the hood the other way around to save space.
Given the price compared to other lenses, I'd say it's a good investment. It's also good for a beginner like me, because it really helps me understand and play with ISO, aperture and shutter speed to change the result. It also forces you to think about the composition, because everything has to fit and it's sometimes good to remove the unnecessary things from the frame. I'm still not even remotely good, but it's definitely helping me to get better at photography.
review image review image review image review image
on 3 March 2017
I really like this lens. I use it on a D3300 body and I am very pleased with the results. Indoors, with normal artificial lighting, I tend to use it fully open and find the results very nice: I like the contrasts, the warm colours and the shallow depth of fields and, I ISO 1600, the shutter speed is rarely too slow to cause blurriness.. My other lens is a Nikon 18-105 mm which I use for the convenience of the focal length or if I am outside in bright light. As I am not a professional, I recon another great advantage of a prime lens is that, as it does not have a zoom, it makes me think much more (or differently) about the composition. I really recommend this lens.
on 23 June 2017
I love this lens! I bought it to replace the standard 18-55 that came with my Nikon D3300 and it works like a charm. Pictures are super sharp and the low-light or indoor performance is amazing. It also has a nice bokeh effect on portraits. I has totally replaced the 18-55 that came with the camera and now it's the only lens I carry with my camera.
The only downside it that I cannot take picture of a whole cathedral unless I move far away from it. No wonder being a 35mm.
I highly recommend it! A big bang for the buck!
review image review image review image
on 28 January 2017
My first prime lens, but WOW :)
Such a tiny lens that produces such wonderful crisp results, with of course an amazing bokeh with that f1.8 :)
on 28 May 2017
I bought this to use with my Nikon D5500. As many existing reviews were very favourable I decided to purchase and my initial use of this lens has indeed produced excellent results. I am very pleased with this purchase and look forward to using it to produce excellent portrait and low light photos.
on 16 February 2017
I was a beginner when I got my Nikon D5200 and this was my first lens. I have to say instantly I could notice the difference between this and the kit lens. Lovely quick shots, amazing depth of field, and I don't miss the zoom at all. I've definitely learnt to move forwards and backwards as and when I need to.

Definitely recommend!
on 30 April 2016
Should have been exceptional lens, marred by unwarranted dodgy seller disappointed in product
Checked with nikon an dthey recommend I return as it was imported returned lens from india no warrenty in EU
Nextlevelsavings eek!
on 11 December 2014
Great lens for portraits and street photography is you just need that extra width or extra intimate close up, also has a manual and auto focus capabilities, you can get the full by using more professional SLRs and newer models as the older models which I have like D3100 doesn't show its full potential but overall worth every penny.
on 8 February 2017
Produces great pictures, and the fact that it's a prime lens, which means there is no option to zoom in or out, makes it a great lens for beginners to start thinking about where to stand or move to for good compositions.
on 21 December 2016
This work beautifully. It's a reminder that, with many types of photography, you don't need a zoom to be effective.