on 15 August 2016
I'm just beginning and this is my first lens (other than the kit 18-55mm lens). I bought it because it's the cheapest prime lens available and many experienced people recommend it. I tried it in the streets, and I noticed that it is not really meant to be used to take pictures of entire buildings (churches,...), since it is difficult to get everything in the frame. It works better for random pictures of people, signs, flowers, details of buildings, cars, food, dogs and bigger animals, children... It is really good for portraits, the large aperture gives a good control over the depth of field. I haven't really tried low-light photography yet, but I expect it to be quite good in those situations.
A lens hood and a cool leathery pouch are included, which is nice. The lens hood is very useful for protection, just leave it on there all the time. If you need to store the camera in a bag, you can put the hood the other way around to save space.
Given the price compared to other lenses, I'd say it's a good investment. It's also good for a beginner like me, because it really helps me understand and play with ISO, aperture and shutter speed to change the result. It also forces you to think about the composition, because everything has to fit and it's sometimes good to remove the unnecessary things from the frame. I'm still not even remotely good, but it's definitely helping me to get better at photography.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
0Comment| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 March 2017
I really like this lens. I use it on a D3300 body and I am very pleased with the results. Indoors, with normal artificial lighting, I tend to use it fully open and find the results very nice: I like the contrasts, the warm colours and the shallow depth of fields and, I ISO 1600, the shutter speed is rarely too slow to cause blurriness.. My other lens is a Nikon 18-105 mm which I use for the convenience of the focal length or if I am outside in bright light. As I am not a professional, I recon another great advantage of a prime lens is that, as it does not have a zoom, it makes me think much more (or differently) about the composition. I really recommend this lens.
on 23 June 2017
I love this lens! I bought it to replace the standard 18-55 that came with my Nikon D3300 and it works like a charm. Pictures are super sharp and the low-light or indoor performance is amazing. It also has a nice bokeh effect on portraits. I has totally replaced the 18-55 that came with the camera and now it's the only lens I carry with my camera.
The only downside it that I cannot take picture of a whole cathedral unless I move far away from it. No wonder being a 35mm.
I highly recommend it! A big bang for the buck!
review imagereview imagereview image
on 23 August 2015
Had this for a little over a year now, and I'm very happy with it. The large aperture allows for fast low light shooting and creative bokeh effects, the relatively compact size gives you a measure of discretion in public, at least for a DSLR, and the optical quality produces some remarkably sharp images, provided you know what you're doing with it. Oh yeah, and at £145 this felt like very good value for money at the time - as I write this (Aug 2015) that's come down to £130, which is almost free in camera lens terms!

A few people have said they happily use this lens and nothing else. While I wouldn't go quite that far, I can honestly say that most of the pictures I've taken over the last year (80%, give or take) have been shot with the 35mm. As an everyday lens for seeing the sights, taking family snaps and other general purpose photography, this really is a cracking wee piece of glass. The other claimed advantage is that it will improve your photography by forcing you to work creatively within the constraint of the fixed focal length - that's arguably more down to the individual photographer, but I've definitely found myself thinking a lot more carefully about how to set up a shot when I can't just zoom out to 18mm and throw it all in.

However, as I have said this is not a perfect lens, and there are a couple of things that need to be understood to get the most out of it. The most striking is the issue of chromatic aberration, of colour fringing. This is the effect of purple and green artefacts appearing along high contrast boundaries in the image, and this lens produces... ahem... rather a lot of it. For some reason, presumably cost, Nikon opted not to include an ED glass element here. You can read up online for more technical details, but basically this "low dispersal" glass element is what prevents colour fringing appearing, and its absence here is very notable.

Having said all that, the colour fringing doesn't actually bother me all that much; I process all of my photos with Adobe Lightroom, which has an excellent tool for removing chromatic aberration - one click is usually all it takes. However, I appreciate that not everyone has the time or inclination to get in to heavy post-processing, and for folks who just want to shoot in JPEG and use their photos straight out of camera, the colour fringing issue should be considered before purchasing.

There are couple of other minor points which aren't really an issue for me but which others might want to think about. First, the manual focus ring is not very pleasant or effective to use. I never had the occasion to use a film SLR for real, but I have had a play around with my Father-in-Law's old Praktika MK-5, and if that's what manual focusing is supposed to feel like, then this falls rather disappointingly short. But then, I use Autofocus virtually all the time, and that works a charm here. Second, the lens hood obscures the AF assist lamp on my D3200 (and I expect on a few other bodies as well), so if you're shooting with the lens hood on in low light you might have a problem. And yes, I do occasionally find myself doing this, since the included hood seems more an ergonomic addition to extend the 'grippable' length of the lens barrel than for any optical benefits. Again, not usually a problem as the hood is nice and easy to pop off in a hurry to let the AF do its thing.

So to summarise: An excellent general purpose lens, fantastic value for money and a very good step on from the 18-55 kit if you want to improve your photography. Let down somewhat by a couple of niggles, but if you can work around them you've got a cracking piece of equipment here.

(For what it's worth, if I could rate this 4.5 stars I would - I can't give it a five because of its flaws, but at the same time I don't think they quite warrant a whole star penalty.)
on 8 January 2018
Superb lens and at a great price. If you have a DX, you should have this lens or be waiting to get it. Even at 1.8 it's still sharp. Although I prefer my 50mm f1.4G, this is sharper wide open. Fast auto-focus motor too. So versatile but not as good for people pictures as the 50mm on a DX which has the angle of view of a 75mm on an FX (although not quite the same depth of field) and is very good for portraits. There isn't too much the 35mm on a DX can't do though, sport and wildlife photos excluded of course because you often need the reach of a telephoto lens.
on 16 February 2017
I was a beginner when I got my Nikon D5200 and this was my first lens. I have to say instantly I could notice the difference between this and the kit lens. Lovely quick shots, amazing depth of field, and I don't miss the zoom at all. I've definitely learnt to move forwards and backwards as and when I need to.

Definitely recommend!
on 1 September 2017
I am an amateur photographer and this is now my favourite lens. I bought it skeptical with all the reviews being so positive but now I understand why.
It arrived quickly and came with a little bag to store it, a lens cover and a hood.
Overall it's very versatile and light. The lens really pushes me to think more creatively. The clarity is fabulous. I used it almost exclusively through my travels.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on 13 January 2016
I bought this lens after having it on my amazon wish list for over a year. I was umming and aring about whether it was worth it...but boy is it worth it.

This lens has made my passion for photography grow even more. Its like owning a brand new camera. I never want to look at the dam 18-55 kit lens ever again! The bokeh, the depth of field, the speed, the aperture.

If you don't buy this lens, you are a buffoon. Don't listen to what people will tell you about 50mm lenses being the standard, this is amazing, you will not regret it!
review image
VINE VOICEon 29 January 2014
Nikon 35mm AF-S DX lens
Once upon a time in the days of film ALL film SLR cameras came with a “fast” 50mm lens – usually f1.8 ( or more rarely f1.4) giving the same angle of view as human vision. Wide aperture allowed slower, sharper film and the ability to focus closely and provide shallow “depth of focus” to highlight the subject. Zoom lenses were expensive and less sharp than “prime” or single focal length lenses.
Most modern digital (D)SLR’s now come with excellent zooms but only moderate apertures across the zoom range ( except for megabucks f2.8 professional lenses)
Whilst the zoom lens gives great flexibility in framing a subject it is easy to become sloppy by not moving to fill the frame with this human vision perspective. This “standard” perspective lens makes you think more about your compositions (but also works well as simple point and shoots)
This 35mm (52.5mm equivalent on a DX sensor like my Nikon D3100/D5100 – or modern equivalents) dual type autofocus lens is a total cracker .Very lightweight (yet sturdy) it is nice to get back to a “standard” lens again. Even better, when creating movies (or getting “differential focus on stills), this fast lens allows both a shallow focus and enhances the sensitivity of the camera at full aperture at lower. ISO values (reducing electronic noise).It also covers a full aperture range from f1.8 – f22
The f1.8 speed allows many photographs to be taken indoors (or dull outdoors) without flash. - Or video without additional lighting.
The standard 18-55mm zoom lens is only f4 at the 35mm DX ( 50mm standard) so there is at least 2 stops gain and a corresponding reduction in shutter speed with this prime lens - i.e. faster shutter speeds can be used and sharper pictures result.
The ability to tweak the manual focus whilst still in auto is great as any off centre subject missed by the auto focussing can be rapidly corrected
The lens takes a 52mm diameter filter – either as protection, minor colour correction or effect filters. Relatively cheap close up lenses also seem to work extremely well giving a genuine super macro lens with minimal softness at the edges of the image
NOTE – you could get the cheaper non DX, manual focus f1.8 Nikkor but this will be 75mm equivalent (and possibly of interest as a portrait lens although a 105mm prime lens is usually used for this.)
on 27 December 2015
The title says it all. I am really happy with this lens and have taken some beautiful portrait and candid shots with it over Christmas. It has a nice depth of field and creates a really nice bokeh giving you a very professional looking image with not a lot of effort. The autofocus works really well though with the ISO down in low light/no flash it can search a little bit but thats to be expected. I also bought this really cheap wide angle lens Neewer® 52MM 0.45X Wide Angle High Definition Lens with Macro for NIKON D5300 D5200 D5100 D5000 D3300 D3200 D3000 D7100 D7000 DSLR Cameras It works fantastically with the 35mm lens (not so well with my zoom lens). No distortion or vignetting at all on the 35mm and it adds a good couple of feet either side of the frame so well worth buying.
review imagereview image