Customer reviews

Style: Lens Only|Change

on 15 August 2016
I'm just beginning and this is my first lens (other than the kit 18-55mm lens). I bought it because it's the cheapest prime lens available and many experienced people recommend it. I tried it in the streets, and I noticed that it is not really meant to be used to take pictures of entire buildings (churches,...), since it is difficult to get everything in the frame. It works better for random pictures of people, signs, flowers, details of buildings, cars, food, dogs and bigger animals, children... It is really good for portraits, the large aperture gives a good control over the depth of field. I haven't really tried low-light photography yet, but I expect it to be quite good in those situations.
A lens hood and a cool leathery pouch are included, which is nice. The lens hood is very useful for protection, just leave it on there all the time. If you need to store the camera in a bag, you can put the hood the other way around to save space.
Given the price compared to other lenses, I'd say it's a good investment. It's also good for a beginner like me, because it really helps me understand and play with ISO, aperture and shutter speed to change the result. It also forces you to think about the composition, because everything has to fit and it's sometimes good to remove the unnecessary things from the frame. I'm still not even remotely good, but it's definitely helping me to get better at photography.
review image review image review image review image
on 3 March 2017
I really like this lens. I use it on a D3300 body and I am very pleased with the results. Indoors, with normal artificial lighting, I tend to use it fully open and find the results very nice: I like the contrasts, the warm colours and the shallow depth of fields and, I ISO 1600, the shutter speed is rarely too slow to cause blurriness.. My other lens is a Nikon 18-105 mm which I use for the convenience of the focal length or if I am outside in bright light. As I am not a professional, I recon another great advantage of a prime lens is that, as it does not have a zoom, it makes me think much more (or differently) about the composition. I really recommend this lens.
on 24 January 2017
Love it! Great service too
on 10 August 2017
A lovely little lens; Iight weight and compact and a nice change from a heavier zoom telephoto. Performs very well, sharp across the frame and enables the taking of shots in low light with less visible noise artifacts.
on 19 December 2015
This is one of the best lenses for the dx format. I use it on my 5100 and the pictures are amazingly clear and sharp.
on 5 June 2017
Nice clear pics
on 6 April 2017
Great lens at a great price.
on 23 October 2015
Love this lens. nice and sharp, focusing is quiet and works brilliantly in low light. Looks great with video.
on 14 January 2017
Nice lens for the money.
on 4 January 2017