Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.89

on 22 May 2014
Funky souly goodness. Buy it. Heard these chaps on the Crag Charles funk and soul show on BBC6 music now a fan.
on 9 June 2017
good
on 11 November 2009
First heard "Beggarman" on the Radcliffe & Maconie Show on BBC Radio 2 - it was their record of the week, and caused one of those moments that cause you to buy an entire album on the strength of one track - and I have not been disappointed!! Soul as a genre is always marked by its so-called "authenticity"....so when these guys turn up (from the NE of England) mixing contemporary electronic sounds with (northern) soul, it works at every level. Joyous tunes, guaranteed to get you smiling, dancing...or both. Turrell's voice has been compared to Paul Weller - a fair analogy, but he has a fantastic and powerful range, that covers 4 decades of soul sound....this is a really great album - one of my best finds of 2009. Craig Charles on BBC 6 Music has also championed them, and he contributes to the sleeve-notes. Very highly recommended.
on 1 February 2010
First heard these guys on Soccer AM months ago when 'cant give you up' was played as backing track to some goal scenes. I did not skip through any of the tracks on first listen and have so far not become bored with listening to the CD even though it has been in my car since I bought it and on my iPOD. Antique Soul is appropriate name for the album, a mixture of funky and soulful tunes and a good remix of Dont Go by Yazoo. Favourite tracks are Beggarman and Difference. Highly recommended.
on 10 April 2010
First off, yes this is really two blokes from the "Toon", but hang on - Sting? Pet Shop Boys? LightHouse Family(almost)? Bryan Ferry? Animals? Prefab Sprout? Kane Gang?. Hey! Geordie boys we are here!
Before we plumb the depths of Cheryl T-Weedy-soon to be ex-Mrs.Cole, or the X-factor-bloke-we've-forgotten-already, the North East has a lot to answer for and ANTIQUE SOUL is definately up with the former group rather than Simon Cowell's latter.

Lots of loops loosely lashed to the sort of raspy vocal that turns up once in a generation emptying a pint glass to the soundtrack of The Committments. Decorated with layers of often synthetic Jazz, but very craftily so to convey Soul sufficiently northern or blue-eyed.

Favourites? Try it yourself and make up your own mind, but HAMMOND stands out for doing exactly what it says on the B3? tin.
I CAN'T GIVE YOU UP sounds slightly cliched, but is genuinely faithful.
BEGGARMAN is brightly remarkable and WITHOUT YOU it's moody, brooding reposte and a fitting closing to a rather splendid first out.

Can you dance? Hell you are gonna have to, whether you like it or not.
on 30 September 2010
I first heard this when a friend shared Beggarman on Facebook and it blew me away. Smoove isn't that well known in the U.S. but he should be. He mixes the best of old school funk, groove and soul with the best of new soul revival with finesse, and when you add the smokey, soulful voice of Turrell to the mix you got a winner and future classic. I predict this album will be spinning on turntables and popping on MP3 players for a long, long time. Every track is a groove and guaranteed to get you dancing. Put it on at your next party, clear the floor, and watch everyone shake it! Outstanding tracks: Well, they are all great. But Beggarman, and I Can't Give You Up will definitely get the party started. Tracks like Hypnotized are so smooth they're guaranteed to keep it rolling and Don't Go is sure to kick it up a notch. Get this! You won't be sorry.
on 16 June 2009
Following Smoove's previous wonderful album, "Dead Men's Shirts", he's now got together with the voice of John Turrell. This is a great match and an album full of terrific soulful songs rattles along superbly.
on 19 December 2009
This have to be album of the year.
It certainly is in my book. I own both the CD and the vinyl + the singles and remixes (on both formats as well) and it has been t my most listened-to album this year.
Now I look forward to a "Gravy, vol.2" by a Guy Called Smoove!

cheers!
Jesper, Denmark
on 11 September 2009
I heard Smoove and Turrell talk on The Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show and couldn't understand a word they said (they are from Newcastle), but when their latest single "Beggarman" was played my ears pricked up. I rushed to my computer and visited a popular video sharing site to find out more; wow I was blown away and I just had to buy the album. The opening "Hammond" (in honour of the Top Gear presenter - as if!!!) sets you up for what is to come and if the second track "I can't give you up" doesn't get you dancing then you must be dead!! Other standout tracks are the previously mentioned "Beggarman" - a look at life today and a cover of the Yazoo track "Don't go".

Smoove knows how to drop a beat and John Turrell's voice is a cross between Paul Weller and Eric Burdon.

I cannot as yet give this album five stars because I need to know how it stands the test of time, but it has not been out of my car since I got it, as "I can't give it up"!!!!!
on 19 December 2009
I've not enjoyed an album, first song through to last for many a year, but this has nailed it... It's hard to pick a favourite track, but I have a lot of love for "You Got Me Bad" and "Darker Days" - but honestly, this is an album you *have* to get a hold of, and then spend an enjoyable few listens to figure out which song *you* like best!

Oh, and if you get the chance to catch them live, don't miss out, they're superb.