Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.49

on 20 October 2006
This is a very different album to 'Blue in Blue' by Patrick Hawes. Just for piano, it consists of the twelve pieces he has written for his Classic FM post as Composer in Residence (plus four other pieces). I have to say that the music is absolutely beautiful. It doesn't set the pulse racing - but it does console and caress, and there are a few really special tracks. The first track 'Towards the Light' really grows on you to the point I have to keep replaying it! Each of the pieces seems very descriptive to me. Many of them are haunting and nearly all of them have beautiful melodies. There are overtones of Einaudi - and yet this is very different, more 'English' music. It's just the right album for a dinner party or to put on while you're working. But I've also found it is great to listen to when you want quiet moments alone. Go ahead and buy it. It's a real oasis of calm!
on 20 April 2009
For anyone disappointed about the unavailability of this beautiful album, it is possible to obtain a copy via Patrick Hawes' new website. Those of us who have come to love his inspired music, wish him every success with the latest addition new album, "Song of Songs".
on 20 November 2007
This album is so relaxing to listen to, my favorite is Stargazer, which I can listen to over and over again. Some very moving pieces, ideal to unwind to after a busy day.
on 8 May 2008
There are many albums that claim to be relaxing, I have bought several of them, none compare to this marvelous collection of sublime piano music. If you are a fan of Satie's Gymnopedies or enjoy the Classic FM collection 'The Quiet Room', you will simply adore this. It has not been out long, indeed, not as long as 'Blue in Blue' (his other album), but to see it listed as 'currenly unavailable' is criminal. If you can find a copy buy it - and enjoy it - a rare thing of beauty.
on 21 May 2011
I am really enjoying listening to the music of Patrick Hawes and this CD - Towards the Light is just wonderful.

I first heard his Higrove Suite on Classic FM and was mesmorised by it and started searching out more of his work and I have not been disappointed. This piano music is contemporary but relaxing. I like to listen to it in the car, walking in the mountains or in the house when I am working. My favourite tracks are No 1. Towards the light and No 13. Quanta Qualia - I often have these on repeat, but infact all the tracks on this CD are lovely and I don't have to skip over any of them - which I often have to do with other CD's. I have enjoyed this CD so much that I have bought 2 more as gifts and both recipients have also enjoyed it. Highly recommended - I am sure that you will be as delighted as I am if you purchase this item.
on 28 May 2008
I've got it already and went searching for some more Patrick Hawes pinao works, only to notice that this one was not available and there is doubt whether it will reappear. I agree with the other reviewer...CRIMINAL!
Towards the Light is a wonderful collection of piano pieces, just about within my ability and with sheet music available. It makes a marvellous listen and a very satisfying play - so if you see it anywhere grab it whilst you can. My copy is not for sale!
on 28 May 2011
Heard for the first time on Classic FM I recalled the time as a teenager when I struggled with piano lessons, and yet thought that with a little effort I could and would love to be able to play some of those compostions. I was very pleased with the CD and perhaps one day I will find the time to have a go at playing one of the pieces.
on 30 June 2013
I bought this to help me cope tinnitus at night time. It is very relaxing and I've yet to hear the end of it as I drift off to sleep before it finishes!
on 30 January 2012
This is a lovely set of contemplative works by Patrick Hawes. They are all very evocative of the seaside where he wrote these pieces. I adore the expansive feel of his piano interpretation, reminiscent of Copeland. After much searching, I am so thrilled to have found this beautiful CD.
on 26 January 2011
Towards the Light by Patrick Hawes has to rank amongst the loveliest piano music I have ever heard. It is simple but yet complicated. It is the essence of a true musician. One who understands and enjoys his instrument.

My greatest wish is that I could play the piano like this.

Thank You Patrick for beautiful music. It mends the soul.