on 18 September 2008
I have to admit that I had concerns about buying this disc. But it has surpassed my expectations. It is not as sentimental as so many of these interpretations are, and Bryn Terfel's singing is excellent. The duets provide appropriate and beautiful diversifications. I think 'Danny Boy' may have worked better as a solo, but it is still a great duet which works well. I say this as someone who also loves 'Led Zeppelin' 'The Who' 'Beethoven' and 'Wagner'. Whether that adds anything to my opinion I know not; but this disc is worth buying if you enjoy listening to a darn good song, sung by a master, and supported by a great cast.
on 13 October 2008
Very enjoyable except for "Danny Boy" which, with Keating, I thought was dire.
The female duetists were an asset.
on 22 December 2008
this is a terrific CD, that has my children singing along to Molly Malone with gusto. If we want to keep these beautiful songs in the collective consciousness as part of our cultural heritage, it's a must. I would agree with a previous reviewer, though, that the duet in Danny Boy is the low point, though it does serve to illustrate just how rich Bryn's voice is. My highlight - hard to choose, but the Robbie Burns song had me in tears the first time I heard it. Fabulous.
on 29 December 2009
I don't like track 5 because of the singing? of Ronan Keating. This boy first should learn how to sing. So I can't really understand why such a good singer like Bryn Terfel sung a duet with him.

All other titles are really worthful to listen to. Simply excellent.
on 26 February 2013
What is there to say? I took my partner, who was very ill, to hear Bryn Terfel singing some of these folk songs at a CBSO concert in Symphony Hall. We had a wonderful evening. This disc is a reminder of that evening.

Bryn Terfel is ... well, Bryn Terfel. It is interesting to compare his style with that of Ronan Keating (in duet in Danny Boy). Chris Hazell's arrangements are played by the London Symphony Orchestra under Barry Wordsworth.

It is probable that this disc has a special meaning for me - but even so, it is still good.
on 10 February 2012
We just love this beautiful collection of songs form the wonderful Bryn.He sings with such feeling some in Welsh some in English.I can't fault any of it. Thanks Amazon
on 22 November 2012
I have played it many times and never tire of his lovely voice. The selection of songs is very good. Definitely a winner.
on 18 March 2014
I love it it's great and it arrived on time and good value I listen to it in my car dailyThank you
on 25 September 2013
Loved this c.d , full of brilliant songs to cheer you up on dreary days . Would recommend to anyone
on 10 February 2012
When I received this cd of Bryn Terfel, I was unsure whether I would like it as I don't like all opera but this was so beautiful and such a wonderfule selection of songs. I would happily recommend it to both young and old. A wonderful evocative collection, which stirs the heart and memories. Love it!!!