Customer reviews

Style: Strainer 22cm|Change

on 26 December 2014
Very good strainer - very fine mesh, seems sturdy ...but much much bigger than I was expecting...
I used to be a chef, used things like this all the time and I measured the 22cm diameter and thought that was the size I was after
...but this is much taller than the ones I used to use - has a massive 'lip' - its 10 cm wide....
To give you more idea it is approx 25cm high and the handle is approx 20 cm long (added onto to the bowl - 44cm!) - even in a professional kitchen it would be considered quite chunky...
My partner (also a chef) was also surprised and wanted me to send it back ..if I didn't have a big storage cupboard where I can hang it up high out of the way I would ...would take up a whole shelf in a standard domestic kitchen 30cm wall cupboard...
on 4 March 2017
The mesh was poorly finished; I had to snip off sharp strands. It is weighty and should be robust, but the 'welding spots' show a bit of rusty discolouration which I have some doubts about.
on 26 May 2016
I use this for my home-made yoghurt to make it Greek style. I actually line it with muslin but that's just to make it easier to clean.
on 25 July 2017
Fantastic item as an ex chef used these all the time first time i have found one that is industrial grade great for making fine sauces and stocks ,soups etc
on 20 April 2017
If you are a gourmet chef at home then you must have one of these!
on 8 August 2015
Well. Having scoffed at the reviews that said this chinois is very large (what's not to understand about the given dimensions?) I nevertheless grabbed a tape measure and eyeballed the width and height. Nah, I thought, no problem.

I don't understand how I could have so deceived myself but I take the scoffing back! It is indeed huge. My goodness though - just think how much stock I can strain through this! I absolutely love it. I'd far rather have one large chinois that can handle anything than a range of sizes suited to different jobs and/or quantities, but I am certainly glad I have a couple of very deep pans over which I can hook it. I expect I'll be able to hang it somewhere I won't bash my head on it, or trip over it.

The quality is fantastic. It's really heavy and all joints and joins are welded; the mesh is so fine I can barely see my hand through it; and it feels as if it will last a lifetime (not mine; there's probably not that much of it left, but I shall leave this to one of my children :-) )

Unreservedly recommended.

UPDATE (Dec 2015): I've eventually found a stand for my chinois, though not, unfortunately, on Amazon, and now it is 100% perfect. I can strain small amounts into small containers with ease or stand it inside a larger container that isn't deep enough to take the chinois on its own. Strongly recommend you hunt one down too! It will vastly extend the range of uses to which you can put your chinois.
review image review image
on 10 November 2015
Very well made and bigger than I thought. Not used it yet but it looks fit for purpose.
on 29 December 2010
The Chinois is very good quality at a fair price. We shopped around for quite a while and found this was by far the best overall deal. Shipping was very fast.
on 25 January 2012
Heavier than I thought, but good nonetheless. It's ideal for straining seafood stocks etc. You definitely need a good sized pan if you are going to stand the sieve. Made very nicely and I can imagine will last me many years.
on 20 September 2011
I make a lot of soups and this was perfect for straining them. Good quality product.PROFESSIONAL CHINOIS BULLION STRAINER 22" - GREAT VALUE!