Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 August 2016
Somehow I missed early Genesis.
I was there too.
Well, there you go, never too late.
This album is the second album.
The first album I was very pleasantly surprised with, it's a collection of sixties pop in essence and sounds pretty damn good.
This album is not in that vein, far more laid back.
The first track that connected with my grey matter is 'Dusk'.
But on many replays the whole album is creeping into me, as is often the case with long lasting favourites.
I am working my way through these early 'Genesis' albums in order.
So far the journey has been very interesting and rewarding.
If you buy this album give it a few plays to work it's magic, on first listen I wasn't that impressed.
On my 8th or 9th listen as I write this the album is working it's way into my top 100.
And in that list there is some very strong competition.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 November 2016
Genesis' second studio album was a great leap forward for the band. They had completely done away with the corny '60s pop rock songs and jumped head first into the progressive rock genre. This is by all means where the real Genesis started, but it was not without its flaws.

In comparison to the debut album From Genesis To Revelation, Genesis had clearly came along way as song writers and it really showed in the music. The songs were longer with more mature lyrics and some very good over lapping themes in melody. The band's sound in general was a lot tighter with the keyboards and guitar swapping lead and the bass and drums lingering in the background holding the tempo almost perfectly.

The album features the classic track, The Knife. Easily one of the early Genesis' best songs. It features an up beat shuffle rhythm, heavy organ work and a particularly tasty guitar solo. The other songs on the album are not quite the same quality but are good enough to be worth a listen, especially if you're into the later albums Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot.

The only real issue with this album is the drumming. In comparison to the other members of the band, John Mayhew is a fairly amateurish drummer. He does not have that special something that his replacement Phil Collins had. The drum passages are very unimaginative and there are a few moments where he actually loses the rhythm of the song. It is a shame Genesis didn't see the need to re-record the drums on this record as Collins could of brought these songs from being good to great.

With exception of this gripe, I think Trespass is a very good album. It is a band who clearly had the balls to expand their sound and they did so very well. The record holds up very well and is a must have for fans of early '70s progressive rock.

Published by Steven Lornie of Demonszone
on 4 June 2012
It's a pitty I came to listen to this album many years after I bought the "classic" albums like The Lamb Lies Down, Selling England and Foxtrot. Trespass quickly became one of my most beloved albums ever, with it's pastoral, melodic and very unique atmosphere. There are three UK CD versions of the album (plus vinyl). I was nerd enough to buy all three versions - Original CD 1985, Definitive Edition 1994 and the Remastered/Remixed 2007 version. I've listened to the versions on different equipment, to get a balanced idea (HiFi set up at home, car stereo and mp3 on my way to work). It's a fact this album was poorly recorded, so there will always be issues about how it sounds on each version, and it appears there isn't consensus about the best version, it's really a matter of individual taste.
The original Nimbus mastered CD (the one with the cropped cover you see above) is the closest thing to the original vinyl. There is a fair amount of hiss and it sounds muddy all the way. If you are conservative and think music on CD must sound like the original LP, this is your version. Many audiophiles go for this version (check the Steve Hoffman forum, there are lots of information about this). To me, this version, like many original issues on CD is too muffled and calls for some respectful remastering.
on 2 April 2017
A sonic bargain, the best I have heard this album.....ever!
Gabriel's voice has to be heard on Looking For Someone, the half speed mastering is top notch, as is the pressing.
I have the cd version also, but needless to say the vinyl blows it out the water, without going into all the cd v vinyl debate!
This is how re-mastering of classic music should be done.
review image
on 15 March 2017
I owned this on vinyl many years ago and couldn't get into it. Clearly too young. Took a punt and got the CD to complete my early Genesis set and glad I did. Clearly I'm now able to appreciate it better but I do remember many of the songs particularly Gabriel's eerie vocals with menacing undertones. Crystal clear sound as well. Superb.
on 9 March 2016
One comment i wish to make, as this album has been reviewed at length by fellow genesis lovers; Given the fact that this is the only album with Anthony Phillips aboard (putting aside 'From Genesis to Revelation' for a moment), and after listening to some of AP's solo work, the only regret i might have regrading this great album is that there wasn't a follow up album with the same line up. Rutherford, Banks and Phillips seems like a great songwriting trio. Just sayin'.
on 14 April 2017
Music is great but Amazon price drop made me mad. I paid 18 Sterline Pounds and one week later the item dropped to 9.99 that hurt my pocket...
on 14 March 2017
Good Item at a Good Price
on 16 May 2017
Updating Albums to CD's.
on 22 June 2017
Just replacing original worn out Vinyl.

Must have if you're a lover of early Genesis.