Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£8.99+ Free shipping

on 5 September 2017
Great album, I was rebuying this around 35 years after originally buying the LP so already familiar with the material. Very happy with delivery and quality.
on 30 August 2017
Very well re-digitized version, really enjoyed it! ..and continue to enjoy it!
on 8 October 2016
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound - NEW VINYL REVIEW
Can't believe after 30 years I'm listening to LP's again! Having read much of what I had considered to be the 'hype' around the re-emergence of Vinyl and dismissing it as yet another clever marketing ploy by the record companies, I reluctantly and skeptically decided to purchase a couple of these newly re-released LP's from the 70's, which I had back then but had since sold to fund my CD buying.
I have a pretty mediocre budget turntable (PL990) which I purchased a number of years ago (in case I wanted to play any of the LP's that I hadn't bought the CD version of yet) and it hasn't really been played very often, so I really couldn't believe my ears as the needle dropped on the start of this album and Peter Gabriel's glorious voice asked me "Can you tell me where my country lies?". He was there, sitting right in front of me, and as the rest of the band joined in I suddenly realised what I had been missing for thirty years. No, not the pops and clicks (they still really annoy me!), but the music seemed 'alive' somehow. It had more 'presence'. For the first time in 30 years I felt that I was listening to the music again and not what it sounded like. Listening to the original CD releases, and then remastered versions, and then DVD-A versions, and most recently Blue-Ray versions, I found myself listening to see if it sounded any better than it did before. All this time the 'music' seemed to get lost somewhere along the way. Having just finished listening to this album on vinyl, I realised that I was once again enjoying the fantastic musicianship on display, the great vocals and lyrics, the absolutely awesome instrumental passages e.g. the end of "Cinema Show" when the bass pedals join in and transport you to a place only the best music can. In some ways I'm extremely disappointed, because it means that I now have to put in pre-orders now for the upcoming re-releases of "Nursery Cryme", Foxtrot", and "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" (not to mention upgrading my turntable!!) and it's going to cost me a small fortune. But for me it will be worth every penny, 'cos I'm going to really enjoy getting back to listening to the 'music' again - and not the 'sound'!!
on 31 January 2015
Great album
on 1 December 2010
very dated ,sorry to all fans but really only two at best three decent tracks on here.Unless a real fan dont buy
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 May 2014
The best surround sound I've ever heard. The menu is straightforward and adequate, but could have been done better. Check out the Duke DVD for a very good menu. This one launches into 2.0 PCM straight away, which is annoying, rather than waiting for a sound format selection. DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 24-bit 96k sampling rate is the way to go! There's no Dolby Digital. The dynamic range, source separation and use of 5.1 for effect is subtle but staggeringly excellent (Battle of Epping Forest). Oh, and by the way, did I mention that the music is just sublime? To my shame I'd never even heard most of this stuff before, but I've hit upon the exact right moment to listen to it. Bass thunders out at unexpected moments (The cinema show). Such a variety of superb guitar and keyboard effects. Thrilling. I don't have an SACD to compare this with. SACD ought to be the same, but based on my experience with Duke, given a choice of formats, Pure Audio DTS has my vote. More please! Foxtrot pretty please?
on 2 October 2014
Fantastic in every way possible. Absolutely no complaints.
on 2 November 2015
Selling England By The Pound
For the past 25 years i've owned and only listened to the 1985 Virgin/Charisma cd. For some reason curiousity got the better of me (20 years in delay i know) so i've ordered a 1994 Virgin Definitive Edition Remaster. Recevied it a couple of days ago and 3 listens later my conclusion is this:
The 1994 remaster is quite decent in his own right and i would guess that anyone discovering this wonderful album for the first time would be content by this version. However, as in my case, anyone that has been exposed and habituated to the original version i suspect this version would not be completely satisfying. i do enjoy it, just not as much as the original.
My advise is this: If you wish to experiment with the 94 DE or the 2009 remix and already own an original 80's cd, hold on to it. DONT GET RID OF IT. in my opinion it will always be the prefered version of this great album.
on 14 June 2017
Perhaps the greatest progressive rock music album to emerge from the glorious heyday of British rock music. A quintessentially English album as expected from a largely Charterhouse educated quintet, with an emphasis on pastoral acoutic sounds enhanced by lush moog and Hackett's appropritely stylish riffs rather than the electric bombast of tracks on the classic that preceded it, Foxtrot. The topics are more prosaic and Gabriel's songwriting more reflective than that previous album, having more in common with Nursery Cryme. From the fragile unaccompanied voice introducing Dancing with the Moonlit Knight via the 'heavier' but still sedate Firth of Fifth and the delightful longest track Cinema Show and its dying coda Aisle of Plenty this album is a quiet joy, As on Nursery Cryme there's a short but pleasing Phil Collins vocal - More Fool Me - and the whimsical novelty track The Battle of Epping Forest. Although 'Battle' is the weakest track on the album (and rarely performed live) it fits in well with the album's tone almost seamlessly. Yes, the Lamb and Foxtrot are also undoubted classics and other Genesis albums rate five stars, but this classic manages to combine fine songwriting and musicianship with a pleasingly relaxed Englishness that's long gone, in the manner of the Kinks' Villiage Green Preservation Society. Lovely!
on 25 June 2017
One of the best PROG ROCK albums ever, as good on vinyl as it is on CD. Every Proghead will have this masterpiece, but if you are new to this niche of Rock music, make it one not to miss. Truly defining music of an Era............
Firmly placed as a top ranking effort in the melodic section of Prog.
I like it a lot!