on 6 October 2009
First of all Amazon provided a competitive price and prompt delivery for this Hard Drive.
After reading a number sites regarding this Hard Drive upgrade for the PS3 and watching nurmerous video's on Youtube, I decided to take the plunge and upgrade my 40gb HD on my PS3.
I only wanted to perform one upgrade so I decided on the Seagate 500gb Momentus HD.
The whole process was easy, firstly back up all your saved data via the System settings, use a portable HD formatted to FAT32 ! Use Swissknife V3 to format to FAT32.
The physical change of the HD was simple, pop the cover, undo the blue screw, slide to the right and remove. I read alot that the 4 screws that secure the HD in the caddy were really tight and difficult. I didn't have this problem, just make sure you use the correct size philips screw driver ie a smaller one. I re-fitted the new HD and Bingo ! The PS3 recognised I had changed my HD, it asked me to format it, which I did, the system restarted and I had a whopping 465gb ( remember you loose some storage space as per the norm). In fact the longest task was reloading your downloaded games via the Playstation Store. Remember all your settings ie wireless, Playstation store login etc are stored on the flash drive and not the HD, so they are stored in a different location.
The pS3 uses Seagate OEM's so this is why I went for this Drive, it works perfectly. Loads a spare space now, Simple and Easy !!
11 Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 April 2017
Drive worked fine although it was not the model stated. I specifically wanted the model stated as my old hard drive had stopped working and i wanted to swap the platters into the new drive to retrieve my data but it seems i got the 'new improved' model instead.
If you want a 500GB 2.5 inch HDD this is fine, if you want the exact model stated, don't bank on it.
on 8 October 2017
Bought this to expand the PS3 memory. No problems installing and it does the job. Happy with purchase.
on 9 October 2017
does the job
on 12 October 2012
Installed this in a late 2008 MacBook when I upgraded to Mountain Lion. Seems just fine and Mac runs faster and smoother. So far so good. Also it arrived well before it was supposed to arrive. So far so good.
on 29 January 2011
this is brillant this is well packed u get a box in a box, and the box with the HDD in has sponge top and bottom so no damge can be done to it

now to the HDD, very high quality, lots of space and very quiet perfect who anyone who wants to upgrade their PS3

a must buy
on 25 August 2010
It works perfectly with my PS3 and it is quieter than I expected. I have been using it for almost a month now on the PS3 (original 60GB model) and it has not given me a single problem.
It's a very good hard drive to buy, especially for upgrading you PlayStation 3 storage. I would recommend this to any PS3 users who are running out of space!
on 3 October 2009
Got this for my MacBook to replace the original hard drive. The item was delivered quickly and arrived well packaged. After having backed up my data, the actual task of removing the old drive and inserting this one was an absolute doddle (thanks to the instructions provided on the Apple site). I was a bit worried that the new drive would reduce battery life. The fan does seem to kick in a little more than it used to but that may just be because I've taken the opportunity to re-organise my data as I've restored it - and the battery life seems as good as it has ever been. The drive itself seems just as quiet as the old one and access speeds are good. All in all I would thoroughly recommend this product particularly if you are thinking of upgrading your mac!
on 11 October 2009
I bought this to replace the 250GB 5400RPM disk in my MacBook Pro 17" 2.5 GHz (Penryn model from 2008).

I toyed with getting the 7200RPM model, but I had concerns about heat and noise so in the end I decided on this 5400 RPM model.

Installation was fairly straight forward (as much as it can be in a Mac), once you get to the drive- it's a straight swap, there are no jumpers to set on the new drive.

I was hoping for more capacity and similar speed to the drive I was replacing. What I got was even better:

The drive is silent to my ears with no noticeable heat. But the mac is noticeably faster - this may just be a result of the fresh install rather than the drive, but either way I am very happy.
on 26 January 2011
When it comes down to it there are basically two "budget" manufacturers to chose from when replacing your PS3's HDD, Western Digital and Seagate. Performance and reliability wise there is literally nothing between them, both have their share of "bad batches", but then the life span of ANY HDD is basically an unknown quantity.

My advice when selecting a replacement HDD is to first have a look at the one already in your system and buy a direct upgrade to that make and model (Sony have used a few different manufacturers).

The write speed used is generally 5400rpm and frankly going for 7200rpm will make no discernible difference and could in fact be detrimental to performance, but it is a personal choice, as is the storage capacity.

Replacing your HDD is a fairly straight forward operation, although some systems have a slight problem with over tightened and "soft" caddy screws (the small Philips head screws that hold the HDD into the PS3's caddy). Be sure to use an appropriate sized screwdriver for the job. If you strip the heads of the screws you'll still be able to remove them with careful plier work, but it's best not to get yourself into that situation in the first place. Remember not to over tighten when replacing them.

Make sure to back up your content on an external HDD using the systems back up data utility (be prepared for a wait, It took me an evening to transfer 60GB).

In summary

I have found the Seagate Momentus 500GB 5400RPM to be:

- Quiet
- Great value for money
- Ample storage
- Reliable (fingers crossed)

All in all, a worthwhile upgrade.