Customer reviews

on 2 February 2017
Just received it as I've had problems with my download speeds which were checked on-site by OpenReach as they had dropped by 45% and more. I was informed the issue was at my end. Installed it and they jumped from 18 to 34mps. If this continues I'd say it has been one if not the top of my Best Buys of the decade. My only concern is how this will stop a lightening surge but I'll chance it and also order a 2nd for the line for phone split, which I've just received.
on 22 December 2014
5 stars until I can tell otherwise, doesn't seem to have impacted my ADSL sync speed too much.
on 30 March 2011
I live in a rural part of Spain. Being miles from the nearest exchange, our landline carries a high voltage. Also we have mains surges which cross over onto the telephone line. These caused all sorts of problems manifested by the router constantly dropping the line. I also had one router destroyed by the spikes on the line. Since I installed this filter I have had no problems whatsoever. Brilliant result for a very small outlay. If it helps in such dire circumstances then I imagine there would be some benefit, in terms of connection stability and router protection, in a more regulated environment such as the UK.
on 1 October 2014
This is a great product, and has come in extremely useful in an overseas installation, where line surges during an electrical storm have taken out a burglar alarm and a router attached to the same circuit.

Whilst it can do absolutely no harm to install one of these in the UK, unlike most countries, all landlines are by regulation required to be terminated in a master socket (e.g. BT Master Socket 5A). This is identified as being the main (slightly larger) socket directly attached to the incoming telephone line of the property. Master sockets differ from "slave" (or other sockets of the type you can buy everywhere for peanuts) inasmuch as they contain sophisticated MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) devices for the specific purpose of preventing line surges in either direction.

Also, bear in mind this is for telephone to router use, it has a RJ11:BT connector with a supplied adaptor allowing RJ11:RJ11. RJ11 is NOT the same as the RJ45 connectors used in LAN wiring. This won't apply to most people, who will use it for its intended purpose (router lighning protection)

Should you double protect? At this price, it can do absolutely no harm and acts as an insurance for the householder, especially those whose telephone lines are fed from poles. However, it offers only limited protection as there is no discharge path to earth, as would be present on a more professional (and far more costly) devices. Therefore, it is more like a fuse, and will need replacement if burned out.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 September 2012
I have to give this 5 stars on the assumption that it will protect my router in the event of a "spike" along my telephone line. At under £3 delivered it has to be cheaper than having to buy a new router. I have read of instances of telephone line "spikes" during thunder storms etc. so I'm just hoping this protection device is similar to a having a spare wheel/tyre in a car and hope it's never put to the test!
There are, a bit disappointingly, no instructions for installing so I have to assume it fits between the master socket and microfilter or the microfilter and router?
on 7 December 2013
This is the second surge protector that I have owned. The first one did its job, protect my computer when there was a surge. When it stopped working I bought this one. I could not find one in the stores in my area. I ordered this and it came quickly. Although there were no instructions with it, it was simple to install and has been working perfectly. I would buy another one should the need arise.
on 22 November 2016
Recently had a lightning storm very close to the house. One of the bolts of lightning took out our Netgear Modem/Router. The modem part of it was completely fried. Having replaced it, I've installed this little box into the ADSL port fitted by BT. It takes up very little space, and has had no effect on the Broadband speed that we are receiving. All being well, we shouldn't have a problem with lightning again.
on 20 October 2014
Have not had a router damaged by lightning since I installed this so I guess it works. I previously lost four!
on 1 July 2017
Happy with this product and the service given. is superior to anything I've ever had his is a pretty cool product for a good price. I'm very pleased with this purchase. Very timely delivery and great product. Too clumsy for me. customer satisfaction is amazing
on 24 September 2016
It lasted about three weeks before failing. I bought it to try, so I'm not complaining.
I've tried a variety of these sort of devices and none of them have lasted very long.
I found that a Belkin surge protector on the mains plug was much more effective in reducing interference.