on 30 August 2009
Not much I can say that hasn't already been said. So....

Good:

1. Looks great.

2. Sounds great.

3. Cast of relative unknowns.

4. They dropped the Psychic Squid nonsense for something more believable (If you don't know, don't ask).

Bad:

1. Some scenes are cringeworthy; like watching Dynasty.

2. It's probably a fault of the book rather than the film but I could never believe that the Comedian would simply crack up when he uncovered the truth....he would be laughing his **** off.

3. A bit ponderous at times.

Certainly worth watching but it has a tendency to annoy you just when you start getting into it.
on 15 July 2011
I was really looking forward to seeing this film and for the first part I was thoroughly enjoying it but it just went on and on and on! Don't get me wrong some bit's of the film where fantastic but other bit's where just ridiculous like the Mars scene's and as for the sex scene in the space ship it was the most un-called for pointless tacky romp in cinema history!

All in all a nice looking anoying film worth a watch if you want to kill a few hours and don't mind being dissapointed by film endings.
on 22 October 2009
I too feel it is a rip-off to not release this at the same time as in the States and for us not to be given full advance release information. Where's the UK DVD edition? Paramount's distribution/marketing teams have shot themselves in the foot with this strategy. Well, I advise everyone to hold off for a few months and get the bargain basement edition for a fraction of the price. By that time, we'll know which editions are available on Region 2, and save some money into the bargain. I had intended to get the Director's Cut and possibly the Ultimate Cut, but now I'm not so sure.

Film = 4 Stars, Marketing Strategy = 0 Stars
on 20 November 2010
Having never watched Watchmen before, I bought this on recommendation, and didn't really know what to expect.

I was pleasantly surprised, however.

The film is very good, and the actors portray their characters really well. I liked Rorschach in particular, and Haley does a great job playing him.

Aesthetically, the film is also very good. Many scenes look great in HD.

The soundtrack as well is usually pretty good, though I found it a bit too 'obvious' or badly chosen sometimes, such as Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries in Vietnam, whether or not it references Apocalypse Now.

All in all a very good film.
on 27 October 2014
Great dvd in hd bluray violent in parts and long worth the money
on 23 September 2014
Enjoy the film. Not quite my cup of tea though. Might watch again
VINE VOICEon 11 October 2009
That's a bit annoying. I don't have a bluray player and am rather annoyed at things like this - the Watchmen director's cut ONLY coming out on bluray, the 2-disc versions of Benjamin Button and Inglourious Basterds ONLY coming out on bluray - all titles I'd have bought had they been available on standard DVD.

I can't currently afford a bluray player, aren't particularly bothered about getting one as I'm perfectly happy with the quality of standard DVDs (and the increased high definition wouldn't really show on my little protable TV anyway), and am increasingly frustrated at companies bribing me with exclusives like this into getting one.

Five stars for the movie, one for this shoddy practice, averages as three. And where's the Ultimate Cut?
66 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2016