on 9 March 2013
This is a unique and gripping account of the impact of the Vietnam war on ordinary people. The relentless terror and oppression brought to bear on these people is unimaginable and their ability to adapt, survive and even thrive is astounding. Their courage makes the reader feel truly humble especially in the face of the account of the girl who features in the war's most famous photograph.

The politics, though complicated, is made very accessible to the reader and gives a new and terrifying perspective on world unrest.
on 5 September 2001
A mesmerising account of how the American War has affected and indeed shaped the life of Kim Phuc. I was moved to tears on various occassions throughout the book and found myself crying for Kim and all of the other innocent victims of the war, especially the children. Kim is truly an amazing woman who has lived an amazing life. I admire her strength and resilience completely and I hope I can achieve atleast half of what she has done.
on 12 April 2013
I read this book cover to cover in just one weekend. I couldn't put it down even though it had me in tears on more than one occasion. Very well written and easy to to read. Loved it
on 27 July 2013
A story of a people and a persons fight against the odds. If you've seen the photo you'll want to know the full story, if you haven't seen the photo make sure you do.
on 27 November 2015
One of the very best books I have read. The words created vivid images of the suffering during the war and under communist rule. Recommended for all.
on 30 May 2014
I really liked this book, I found it very moving even to the point of tears so had to put it down, What a courageous person. well worth reading
on 27 July 2016
I loved reading it, if 'loved' is the word. Such a powerful and insightful book, well written and quite an easy read considering its contents.
on 1 April 2015
I'm part way through this book. It's a compelling read. It illustrates the appalling consequences of war upon innocent civilians.
on 11 March 2014
An amazing journey to find and expose who she is and why in the picture - and helps expose the horrors of the war
on 26 September 2013
Worth reading to understand a bit more about what really happened in Vietnam during the war period and after it.