Customer reviews

on 24 March 2009
Dolphins had been in the pipeline for some time and so I was pleased to see it finally being given a DVD release. After talk of the directors cut being better than (this) the shorter version, I was wondering if this film wouldn't turn out to be anything great but I was pleasantly surprised. The film depicts the different sides of Brighton's youth culture very well, particularly the illegal street racing world of its main character Brent Black, played by Karl Davies. I found myself really warming to the character of Brent as the film went on and I wanted him to `win' as it were, against his opposite and arch rival, the immature and selfish rock star, Lawrence Ray (played by Layke Anderson). In fact I began to utterly despise the character of Lawrence by the end of the film, testament to the quality of the acting surely? As I knew the actor very well several years ago, so to create a character as loathsome as Lawrence Ray was impressive. Having said that, the world of Lawrence and his girlfriend and lead female Ophelia James, was exciting, charged and royally screwed up...exactly what you'd want from someone attempting to pursue the rock n roll dream.
Do I have any criticisms? Yes, a few. Namely I believe the characters of Brent's Dad and brother were miscast. His Dad looked far too young to have a son Brent's age (which I assume to be eighteen or nineteen) His father's alcoholism was never addressed really, apart from being touched upon when a counselor called at the house saying he hadn't been to rehab for awhile, then it was hurriedly forgotten about. As for the character of Brent's brother, if he was supposed to be a bit mentally disabled, then the part was played really well with a good deal of skill, if not, the actor cast was laughably too old for the part he was supposed to be playing. Good cameo from Roots Manuva as Mr Smile though.
Also, without spoiling a big event in the film, I was left wondering after such an event whether you'd ever want to drive again, let alone modify cars or street race?

Overall this film was made with a limited budget, using mostly little known actors and is just as engaging as anything with triple the budget made in Hollywood. In fact it would loose some of its grittiness if were set anywhere other than Brighton I believe. Enjoyable, well worth a watch and no you don't have to be a street racer or a rock god to enjoy it...
on 20 June 2017
The overall effect of the film is not bad. The plot is exciting. This film looks fine. I watched it with my other half. I like the leading lady. The ending is romantic.
on 10 November 2013
This is a cheap film with a little budget set in Brighton; it has its budgeting flaws, but its quite nicely shot and a must if you're a petrol head and have visited Brighton :)
on 29 April 2009
Like most people in Brighton, I knew this film was in the pipeline. It was worth the wait. I enjoyed it very much and so have all the people I've shown it to.

I can see why people have billed it as the modern day Quadrophenia, even down to an old school Mod for Brent's Dad. I would say it's worthy of that title.
on 23 June 2014
shame I cant just buy the dvd don't like the fact I have to download it to my ps3 ect
on 23 September 2016
it held my attention unlike sooo many others of the selfsame genre