on 18 September 2010
What a brilliant buy this was. It is soo cheap and yet gives better results than many of the excruciatingly expensive high-end powders I've used.

I have a slightly oily T-zone which can become flaky-looking if I use too many powders or other dry facial products. Max Factor's Creme Puff keeps my nose shine-free longer than any other coloured powder I've tried but doesn't accentuate flakiness or dry out my skin at all. I apply it over my primer, concealer and setting powder in the morning and it creates a really smooth, poreless, natural look that lasts until the end of the day. By early afternoon my nose looks slightly glowy but not at all shiny, and if I want to mattify it a bit I simply give myself a dusting of Creme Puff and have flawless skin again in an instant. The coverage is also pretty good for a pressed powder. I wouldn't wear this on its own over my slightly rosacea-prone nose, but when applied over concealer the redness is almost entirely eliminated.

There are a couple of drawbacks, the obvious one being the smell. Creme Puff has a VERY powdery (and probably artificial) scent, which could deter some people. It isn't that the smell is unpleasant - it harks back to glamorous 1920s ladies powdering their noses in front of their vanity tables - but it's just SO strong. I have got used to it now though, and it does vanish once you've applied the powder and put the compact away.

More annoying than the smell, in my opinion, is the sponge that is supplied with the compact. It's really abrasive and scratchy and does not allow you to apply the powder smoothly. I quickly disposed of it and am now using the lovely soft sponge from one of my old compacts. I'd recommend you do the same to ensure the best, smoothest application.

As far as choosing the correct shade goes, the little colour squares on the amazon page actually seem fairly accurate. I have very pale skin so went for what I presumed was the fairest shade, Truly Fair. It has turned out to be a good match, and I would recommend it for most pale-skinned women. It does have slightly pinky undertones, but luckily this hasn't emphasised any redness on my skin at all. If you have very bad rosacea or acne, though, you might be better off going for a more yellowy shade such as Candle Glow.

This is a very effective and very inexpensive product, which I imagine is why it's been around for so long. Hopefully it'll be around for a good while longer, as I intend to use it for some time to come.
22 comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2015
I bought this because I know maxfactor have a good reputation, and I have used their powder before and I love it. The colour is as described. The only thing is I would say in future I'd buy this in store because it came delivered taped up. This leaves a sticky mark on the box which is something I do not really like! Te sticky bit will collect dust or powder fibres too.

This set comes with powder and a thing sponge for application.
review image review image review image review image
on 29 October 2015
It has been so hard to find this shade in the shops lately which is so stressful!! I love this compact, the smell, the texture and shade. It is that little bit of glamour. Even without foundation this will give my skin a sheen and hide a multitude of sins. I have not found another compact powder as good. This shade is perfect for those with pale skin, and it adds a slightest of pink to warm up a cold complexion.
on 18 May 2014
I bought this in the shade "Light N Gay". Do not let the pictures above fool you, this is a very pale shade. I am an N15 in MAC.
I wore this to a party on Friday night, I set it over my usual foundation. My make-up lasted all night and kept my concealer on, as it gave me extra coverage. I do feel however, that if this is applied heavy handedly, that it may look chalky. Remember, a little goes a long way. I applied it with my favourite soft powder brush as the sponge it comes with is a bit useless. It's easier to apply this powder with a separate brush. I personally like the old-fashioned rose talcum powder like smell that comes off of the make-up. However, if you are sensitive to smells then you might not be keen. Over all, I am happy with my purchase. Give it a go, it's only £3.99.

Pros

- Great price, £3.99
- Make-up lasted all night
- Colour match perfect for pale skin
- Decent packaging

Cons

- Some people might not like the smell however, I myself am a fan of the smell.
- Sponge is a bit thin and useless
on 6 October 2009
I haven't been able to get this product for a long time as I am often abroad so I was very pleased to see it on Amazon. Its just as good as I remember it and it fits perfectly into my collection of vintage powder compacts. It doesn't crumble and goes on smoothly. Just right!
on 27 February 2013
I love the smell of this powder, it takes me right back to when I was a kid. I take the powder out of the plastic tin and put it in my own compact as it fits the Strattons and other compact makes perfectly.
on 24 December 2012
My Mom has been using Max Factors' creme puff in Tempting Touch since I was a tot, she is now 87 and still uses it, everyday. Mom says she's not "dressed" without it.
Just to smell its original perfume brings back marvellous memories, most of all the hugs and kisses she gave me.
I now use it, I hope it imparts some lovely memories to my grandchildren.
thank you Max Factor and Amazon.
Bez H.
on 12 June 2016
Not new product. Lid badly scuffed & scratched with unrecognised gold patterned circle, not shown on advert. Strong, overpowering, rancid smell from powder and puff was yellow instead of pale cream. On touching the puff it disintegrated as it had rotted. There was no bar code to the base. Item returned for refund.
on 5 April 2015
Bought this after hearing about it's past and the matter of fact that the ingredients haven't hardly changed through the years (1958 is when this product first got introduced) also of course the rave reviews, and I must say this is a lovely compact powder I thought with it being a bit of a classic it would be cakey and noticeable which it is not the case it's very lovely when applied goes on nicely doesn't insinuate fine lines or wrinkles at all, it also known for it's classic smell of perfume which isn't noticeable when applied but I can see the whole nostalgia behind it and stories ranging from little girls that have known grown into women and remember smelling it on women families remembers which I also found slightly enchanting.

The downside for me though I bought 81 Truly fair.. Which isn't as truly fair as I would have liked it has a slight orange/yellow tinge to it. So that's a shame as I was looking for a nice porcelain colour. But overall I am pleased.

The packaging is also lovely it's been updated in classic gold to celebrate it's 60th anniversary when you twist the top it locks on well, but I wouldn't trust it in a handbag.
on 3 April 2013
"I loved this foundation, it really was creamy, even though I got the wrong colour for my skin. But I lost it anyway, so I've repurchased it in the right colour. This is for very fair milky skin, not olivey."

The above was written before I received "the right colour" I ordered. As previously, the colour was again not right, the pictures are completely wrong, so don't buy unless you've had the particular colour you're ordering before and know what they actually look like. They don't accept returns, so think before you buy