Customer reviews

Price:£7.99

on 27 October 2017
Brilliant pop-punk album from Kathleen Hanna. Highly recommended
on 27 October 2004
I told my self I wouldn't buy this CD, as I have a CD addiction and should really be saving my money, but when I saw This Island I just couldn't walk away, and I went around smiling for the rest of the day, before I'd even listened to it.
This is because Le Tigre are like the coolest band in the world. If you don't know them, and you really should but we can forgive you, Le Tigre describe themselves as a feminist electro punk band, they use sampling, drum machines, guitars, key boards and cool powerful soft and shouty vocals to make great, kind of disco songs. Le Tigre are Kathleen Hanna (from bikini killl and julie ruin- possibly the coolest person ever), Johanna Fateman and J D Samson. The reason I love Le Tigre is that they mix positive feminist politics with fun, enegtic music. This Island is their third fulll length album, a lot of people have said it's not as good as the first two as its too polished and mainstream. It's true that the songs are more produced and there are less obscenities- both pointers that this is Le Tigres first major label realese, but they havn't sacrificed any of their political or musical integrity.
The sound here is less gritty than Feminist Sweepstakes, and maybe a bit less jumpy happy than Le Tigre, its got more sampling and is more 80's discoish, and its really great. Nanny Nanny Boo Boo will telll you everything you need to know about Le Tigre, whilst songs like Tell You Now and Sixteen sound a bit like julie ruin. There is more variety here than on Feminist Sweepstakes in terms of sound, and lyrics have beome more about personal experience.Seconds, which is a bit Bikini Kill, is an anti-Bush ( i think) song which is so fulll of energy you just have to dance, and This Island is so beautiful it almost made me cry.New Kicks is a brilliant kind of monatge of samples from the anti- irag war demonstrations, and fills you with hope that things canm be made better- this IS what democracy sounds like.
Whether you get this record, or a different one, every one should own some thing by Le Tigre. Its amazing, songs like Viz make me feel so happy for the members of Le Tigre, and in return all the songs make you feel happy or exited or angry or sad in good ways.This is the future, and its the best thing I've heard in a really long time...
on 3 February 2015
First heard of this band when I watched the film The Punk Singer. Can't believe how good they are. Fantastic.
on 26 April 2015