on 31 March 2005
This second album from Madeleine Peyroux lives up to the promise she showed 'Dreamland', her brilliant debut album. When you first hear her wonderfully smoky, smooth tones, it's hard to believe it isn't one of the great female jazz artists of the 30's or 40's. She has a voice reminiscent of Billie Holliday and yet uniquely her own. This brilliant selection of songs is expertly delivered and is an essential addition to the collection of anyone who loves Jazz.
on 24 March 2017
How has it taken me so long to discover her? The best CD I've bought in ages, play it endlessly. Lovely songs, including a favourite Leonard Cohen, and an amazing mellow voice. I see her compared to Billie Holiday - it may not be the "right" thing to say, but I prefer Madeleine!
on 14 June 2017
Beautiful..
on 11 August 2017
Lovely album, made all the better for the vinyl sound.
on 14 May 2017
Really good L.P. sound quality very good. She reminds me of Billy holiday all in all very pleased with it.
on 3 August 2005
I first heard this magical album or rather a track from it, 'Don't wait too long'whilst on holiday on an island. The voice was so familiar, tender, that my husband could not wait to get off the island, home and buy it.
I implore you, so does he, to buy this album and play it constantly.
Madeleine Peyroux's treatment of Bob Dylan's 'You're gonna make me lonesome' is truly wonderful.
Well done Madeleine!!!!
on 14 September 2014
Fabulous.
on 25 September 2014
very very good
VINE VOICEon 12 August 2005
I bought this album after hearing Madeleine's cover of Bob Dylan's "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" and was instantaneously enamoured by her bluesy, smokey and in my view, unique voice. The blend of music on the album is brilliant, ranging from slow ballads to more upbeat jazzy numbers, but all of which retaining the sleekness one expects from this sort of album. In short, buy it. You won't be disappointed.
on 11 March 2005
I had never heard Madeleine Peyroux sing before until last weekend, when a friend played her new CD, "Careless Love," for me. I was enchanted at first listen. Since then, I have heard many people couple her name with Billy Holiday's. I don't want to be contrary, but I don't want to compare her smoky smooth sound to anyone else's either. To me, there is no other like "Lady Day," nor does there have to be. And Ms. Peyroux, who brings sensuality and a romantic languor to her songs, certainly does not have to stand in another vocalist's shadow. She clearly stamps her excellent collection of songs with her own special style - and a very classy one that is.
The content of this CD is quite diverse, ranging from Hank Williams to a WWII favorite. Many of her cuts are romantic ballads which deal with heartache and love gone wrong. A melange of jazz, country and light blues, backed by rhythm-guitar, and occasionally a low-key Hammond organ, she covers Hank Williams' "Weary Blues," Leonard Cohen's "Dance Me to the End of Love," and Bob Dylan's "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go," and makes them her own. The WWII era torch song "J'ai Deux Amours," and "Careless Love," the Bessie Smith oldie, are terrific. A cover of Elliot Smith's "Between the Bars" is sung with a haunting melancholy and is probably my favorite cut, along with a song called "No More." "This is Heaven To Me," lovely and lullaby-like is pure heaven to hear. And "Don't Wait Too Long" is an original co-written by Jesse Harris and producer Larry Klein.
A fine band joins her, including Larry Goldings on the keyboard, bassist David Piltch, guitarist Dean Parks, and drummer Jay Bellerose.
This is one of the best CDs I have heard in a long time. Needless to say I bought myself a copy the day after I heard it. It merits a spot in the collection of anyone who loves great jazz vocalists.
JANA