on 6 May 2009
A friend recently bought a mini-laptop and got me thinking about replacing my old Dell Inspiron(well not so old but broken). A search of reviews online found the Acer Aspire 1, which seemed the most reasonable for the specs and price. At the same time I bought my father a HP model, quite a bit more expensive .

I'm a heavy computer user so I was worried it wouldn't cope with vigorous use and heavy apps I'm running. So far it's handled everything I've thrown at it, everything I used to do on my 'regular' laptop. The HP one and my flatmate's new Samsung mini have the exact same specs, they just look a bit more stylish. I'm happy in saying that I have the same laptop as them just 150 quid less expensive.

I should add that I've started using the Aspire One a lot more than my old laptop. It's portability and battery life make it brilliant for bringing around and I dont feel like such a fool pulling it out on public transport or bringing it to a friends place on the weekend. I can bring it away when I leave the country also - the old one was a bit too big for that.

Plus the wireless range is longer than that of any other machine I have, even my PC with an external aerial I paid e50 for!

Pros - Long battery, portability , extremely long wireless range, can do anything a bigger laptop can.

Cons - Not as stylish as it's rivals, mouse button a bit lame (all the others I've used are the same or worse tho), could do with larger keyboard buttons like the new Samsung
on 1 September 2009
We bought our son an Acer laptop when he went to university and it's still going strong four years later. We also have a couple of Acer widescreen monitors that have worked flawlessly for the last three years, so we are Acer fans. This Acer netbook was advertised on Amazon at an unbelievable price, especially for a machine with the newer N280 processor. We upgraded the memory to 2Gb (simply slot it in - nothing difficult) and this really is a great little machine. The battery lasts for 6 hours on average - it's the 6-cell battery. Works really well with Microsoft Office, OpenOffice - I can even play a (small) Cubase 5 project using Asio4All! Very clear screen, very useable keyboard. I haven't seen anything that approaches this for value.
on 15 April 2009
The laptop itself is fantastic and the keyboard doesn't take that long to get used to. All in all worth 5 stars if it had completely matched the description.

The problem is that in the description it says that it would come with the 4400 mAh battery. Mine however came with a standard 2200 mAh one. This limits it's uses since I still have to remember to carry the recharger around if I want to keep using it for a bit longer time which I always do.

Another negative point is that while I was looking for larger extra battery I noticed that it's not clear whether the Aspire One A-series batteries are fully compatible with the D-series.

So not only would I have to pay extra to get full use out of my laptop, I also can't be sure that the extra money won't get wasted. Otherwise it's just fantastic.
55 Comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2009
I am total satisfied with my new acer its light boots up fast and is fit for purpose Emailing and surfing the screen is sharp and crystal clear. When I was stuck once I had to use Publisher on the Aspire to design and edit a complex posters. It has ample memory for what I require if I need more I can quickly attach it to an external drive. If I have one criticism the pre installed McAfee security centre, when I came to renew I was reminded of the cost in dollars plus I could not pay, it would not accept Maestro. Fine if you have visa or MasterCard.
on 21 March 2009
many people had said stay away from web books i got this thursday within 5 mins i was on the net and had it on my home network sahring files and printing

its so fast its unbelivable

NOTE NOT NOVICES:- there is no cd rom drive so if you want to install anything you need an external cd drive

but this is a class machine for taking abroad i got it for logging onto work remotely whilst in the States

a fantastic little machine quiet fast and easy to use

definately recoment it for a little portable machine but if you want something to use all the time to do work etc on spreadsheets and documends in office although this works i would get a larger laptop these ar cool for helping out on your travels as a stop gap to get work done or say to stop boredom
11 Comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2009
Very pleased - just what I needed - something easy to take around to use for my textile design work and genealogy research. Word of advice: I had to purchase CDRW to use with it and my only criticism; not enough instructions for setting it up for non IT geeks like myself!
on 13 August 2009
great replacement for my dead laptop. Nice and quick and easy to setup wireless compared to previous machines. And battery life really does last 7 hours. Finding the mouse pad left click took a bit of getting used to. Using double click on the pad is quicker.
on 5 December 2009
My first Aspire was a beautiful blue one, great to use while on the road and very impressive and expensive to look at - it got lots of admiring looks.

Sadly it suffered a very nasty knock and died while away from home - beyond economic repair so I had to look for a replacement. My old one was the 9" version but this has the 10" screen. It also has the 'seven hour' 6 cell battery. Not sure if it lasts the claimed 6-7 hours but it does last much longer than the old machine with the 3 cell battery, probably just about long enough for a day's work.

I've split the hard drive to have XP Pro on one partition and Ubuntu Linux on the other - it works superbly and with the addition of a Vodafone 3G dongle I can access my email almost anywhere!
on 6 June 2009
A good portable computer with a 7hr plus battery life whch is excellent for using when you cannot get to the mains. The computer will play some older games without problem but the graphics are not up tp the newer games. I added extra memory which is simple and you only have to remove one panel in the back.
on 11 February 2010
OK forgive any typos I am using this outside and erm - can't see the screen, the screen is highly reflective so if you have any light reflecting on the screen fuhgedabbout being able to see it. This has happened to me sitting on trains and also when sitting outside.
I have also found a lot of problems with programmes not closing properly and the computing not switching off when I close down and not realising this the battery get's used up.
The screen on the ASUS is better and does not reflect light. I'll give this an OK at best, several design faults (the screen being the most glaring (pun intended).
I would never by a notebook with this kind of screen ever again.