Customer reviews

on 28 January 2013
The follow up to wheels of steel, i couldnt wait to have it, released in the same year as its predecessor, but after the monsters of rock show.
Personally i preffered wheels of steel, this album just didnt sound as tight and heavy as their second album, the gain was turned a little lower, even on songs as heavy as 20'000 feet and heavy metal thunder, even the drums werent as punchy.
But dont misunderstand me, the songs are great, you can deffinitly hear the magic that went on in their songwriting and that they were always growing as musicians and taking heavy metal to new lengths, just like their first 2 albums it has some great swinging rock n roll songs then some powerfull heavy metal, with great guitar solos and i mean virtuotic playing.
And now my opinion of the bonus tracks... unfortunatly i felt they were pointless, ive bourght the albums in order and theyre the most pointless bonus tracks so far, no live ones just bbc radio and alternate mixes, the only one i looked forward to was the bbc radio performance of the eagle has landed which would be released 2 albums later and thats only because my copy of power and glory is still on the way.
Still a reccomended must have for saxon fans.
on 12 May 2017
the sound from this pic disc is fantastic much better than cd or download and looks great spinning on my turntable
on 27 November 2012
Excellent album, their best after Wheels of Steel, just listening to it again and again, perfect score.
My favorites are 'Taking your Chances', 'Heavy Metal Thunder', 'To Hell and Back Again' and 'Dallas 1 PM'.
You must own it or buy it if you are a heavy metal fun, it's like a chapter from the bible.
Good to have Saxon!
on 14 October 2010
Strong Arm of the law originally came out in 1980 and shows a band at the height of their musical and creative peak. It includes such classic tracks as "Heavy Metal Thunder", "Dallas 1pm" and the title track "Strong Arm OF The Law". This remastered and re-packaged CD also includes a NUMBER of bonus tracks for your listening pleasure at a price that is hard to beat!

BG's Verdict: a great CD from a NWOBHM band at a price that's hard to beat! BARGAIN
on 1 August 2017
Fantastic
on 23 July 2017
Good, strong album. One of their best, in my opinion, excellently transferred.
on 20 October 2013
When the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal genre exploded on us in 1979, there were some great bands, some shameless re-unions from previous bands, and some dire ones!
When I first heard Saxons 'Wheels of Steel', it was a decent stab, but when Strong Arm Of The Law came out, I was VERY impressed. VERY!
Not a duff track on it, although I doubt they could get away with 'Sixth Form Girls' these days!
I went to one of the gigs on the album tour in December 1980 on a Friday night when I SHOULD have been working, according to my boss. I was sacked the following day! was it worth it? Damned right it was!
I recently acquired this on CD, and it took me back to those fantastic care-free days (when I had long hair) and it sounds as fresh and brilliant as it did in 1980. I have no doubt that this album defined the NWOBHM movement.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 February 2009
The saxon remasters are long overdue and i've anticipated this moment for some time,as with the recent MSG reissues its great to relive your youth.The original album was always a classic: hungry years/dallas 1pm/heavy metal thunder and the title track all genuine metal classics,personal fav taking your chances never quite recieved the same adulation but its a belter all the same,the rest were always filler as far as im concerned and those thoughts havent changed with this new edition,the remaster has to my ears(30 years of concerts damaged as they are) given a rather harsh tinny sound to some tracks especially the intro to h.m. thunder and this is repeated across the 3 new discs,the packaging is to be blunt pathetic,a crappy little booklet,maybe the deep purple remaster's series booklets have spoiled me but really emi could and should have tried harder,however the bonus tracks are interesting 30 spread across the 3 discs,of varying quality.this disc has a radio session i didnt even know existed so thats a plus,highlight being the then unreleased eagle has landed-absolutely fantastic,dallas 1pm being a close second,the rest of the bonus tracks are alternate mixes/versions and are a worthy inclusion with mandy being a rather interesting take on sixth form girls with biffs slightly different vocal style,still for all my reservations about the packaging and sound the music still shines thru and its a well deserverd 4 stars(would have been 4.5 if i was allowed)
on 22 March 2011
I just want to add my voice with a 5 star review. I am 43 and this came out when I was young - in the mean time I have expanded my musical tastes and got many hundred more metal albums ... but I still listen to this one regularly, it is in my view a core piece of work from a band at their peak. Although they had several more peaks afterwards (e.g. "Solid Ball of Rock"), and they are still around ;-). Get this now if you don't have it yet, this is history.
on 20 April 2007
I followed Saxon from the start (& can remember the days when they used to sell out what,before the rise of the arena,were decent sized venues) - sadly the standard of their music declined following "Denim & Leather" but this album along with "Wheels & Steel" (& the aforementioned Denim & Leather) is an example of Saxon at their best. This a terrific NWOBHM album with some top tunes & some anthemic sing alongs. Saxon always did great gigs & the songs on their albums translated brilliantly into their live performance. This has some really enjoyable tracks & Biff was still at the top of his game when this was recorded.

In my opinion, one of the three Saxon "essentials", along with Wheels Of Steel & of course, Denim & Leather. After that it all went a bit pear shaped. Still those three are a testament to how good they were at the time.A really enjoyable slice of metal nostalgia.