on 7 June 2013
I bought this to charge my laptop, as it says it is capable of doing so. However it isn't. Apparently you need to buy the expensive battery and charge that from the solar panel and then that is capable of charging my Lenovo laptop. Unfortunately I found this out after I had gone on holiday and as there was no electricity where I went, I was left without my laptop for the duration. However my tablet and phone and camera all charged fine. It even fell in the sea and came out without any ill effects.
on 17 August 2012
Bought this as I was going camping and needed to charge my Samsung phone. When it arrived it certainly looked the part but when called to deliver on the promise it screamed from the advertising and packaging, it was was AWFUL. Do NOT buy this, it has been an expensive waste of money. Even when in direct sunlight on a hot UK day it failed to charge my phone - adding less than 10% to the battery after 4-5 hours. Some of my camping friends had the FreeLoader solar charger and that charged their phones really well, so buy that. The FreeLoaders are one-tenth of the price and they worked! Buy those and with the money you have saved buy beer.
on 18 July 2011
First of all my aim was for back up while I was sailing to Portugal, i bought it to back my power up for my laptop and my mobile. Although we had no power on the sailing boat,Suddenly the boat's engine died down and the boats batteries was useless now and my means of communication was down, as I am Deaf, and I cannot use CB radio frequencies! and the Solar Gorilla was my back up for laptop to to connect to predict wind and proved very reliable, had to be patience for time to charge up the batteries and worked 100% I recommend this highly although this is not a waterproof solar panel, Save my Life to keep laptop and contacts with internet.
on 18 May 2016
Took these on a world cycling adventure as a little test and for a bit of fun. Never expected much from them or expect to use them that much. However when in desert conditions in Central Asia, in the summer with many hours of light, this really didnt do much at all... maybe 50% iPhone on a full day of hot sun. Also very big and quite heavy. This was 5 years ago. I imagine the market has improved now though.
on 24 September 2015
I plugged my ipad into this and left it out in full sun for 6 hours, changing the position of the panels to follow the sun. The ipad only charged up to 30% in that time. Come the winter, I think this will be of little value to me. This is definitely a travellers' emergency pack, not for everyday charging.
on 1 June 2014
This solar panel is great, especially working with the Powergorilla. I've had it a few years now and find it very useful. If it is exposed to extended periods in sunshine I have found the plastic actually starts to melt slightly and become a bit sticky! Overall a great product though.
on 19 May 2016
nice portable durable solar panel. i live in northern ireland, where you hardly can except strong sun and this panels output from usb 1 to 1.2amp on sunny day, which is not bad. much efficienty is with minigorilla or powergorilla even in low light. happy enough.
on 1 December 2011
1st the good things it powerd my mobile alot better then then other soler powerd mobile chargers even in darker moments so a now the bads it hasn't got its own power storage so you may need PowerTraveller Power Gorilla Portable Power Device when it charges a more power needed thing like my net book it can strugle unless its summer with amazing sun and no clouds but lets be realistic this is the uk and normaly it rains and stangerst bad point is when its used alot the mat plasticy rubbery stuff gose all sticky if exposed to the sun which is pointless for somthing that is used in the sun
on 28 August 2009
Solar Gorilla Power Device
Looks the business but despite saying that the HP connector would fit my laptop it does not so it's useless to me. I bought it to use with my laptop.
I emailed the company for help/advice. Asked if they are to release more laptop connectors, and when - I'd be okay waiting a short time for an updated connector, but guess what - they ignored me. That's such poor customer care or should I say couldn't careless.
I already have a smaller better looking and much cheaper solar charger for my mobile, so the GGGggggGorilla has turned out to be an expensive waste!!! Think I'll ask Amazon for a refund.
on 24 March 2016
Perfect. Light, compact, does exactly what you want it to do..Made to a high standard I fully expect this to be working a long time from now