Size: One size|Colour: Green3|Change
Price:£16.74+ Free shipping

If you have been looking at Pilot inks elsewhere on Amazon, you have probably stumbled across my review of Pilot Murasaki-shikibu (Japanese Beautyberry) ink.
I was so impressed with the qualities of that ink and the price offered by this Japanese seller that I made up my mind there and then to buy one Pilot ink to my collection each month.
This month, as I really like orange inks for notebook use, I ordered a bottle of Fuyu-Gaki (winter persimmon) from the Japanese seller above.
It arrived safely and undamaged (even the box was uncreased) within two weeks of placing my order.
As with all Pilot inks, it shares the same silver grey box but with the label showing the colour of the ink, and understated minimalist lettering, which looks very classy on the shelf or desk.

The bottle is a very tactile heavy glass, with a concave dip at the base which will make filling a fountain pen much easier as the ink level lowers. Again it's adorned with subtle labelling and the trademark Pilot silver cord around the neck of the bottle.

The ink itself is a bright, but flat orange leaning towards the red (as opposed to the yellow) spectrum. I use fine and extra fine nibs, so it is always difficult to see shading in any ink, but I have this ink in a Waterman Kultur clear demonstrator with a medium nib and even through the very wet Waterman nib, it shows little shading, just a vibrancy of colour.
It sits slap bang between the in your face brightness of Diamine Pumpkin (which shades amazingly), and the yellowy orange of Pelikan Edelstein Mandarin. It's very impressive on the page.

On 120gsm Nuco cream paper it flows perfectly, with no startup problems - both my Pilot inks start first time every time without any prompting - and there is no sign of feathering or bleedthrough to the other side of the page....but I would expect that from a high end paper and a good class ink.
It's with the cheaper stuff this ink really shows its pedigree.
With T*sco 60gsm copy paper, there is only slight feathering and bleedthrough, unlike some Private Reserve and Noodlers inks, which seem to spread out and feather massively on cheap stuff..plus with Pilot inks, I have found the one ink that makes both sides of my Leuchtturm 1917 notebook pages usable.

Two days ago I was sitting in a coffee shop researching a book, and making notes as I went, using Diamine Umber for the text and this ink for any 'To Do' work., when a female acquaintance sat down next to me and glanced over and said:
"where did you get that gorgeous colour of ink? I didn't know they made ORANGE inks, it really stands out doesn't it, I'd never given that colour of ink a thought before I saw this?"
This ink is that striking, and I recommend it to you.
In summary it's free flowing, bright and exciting on the page without being garish, treats all papers as equals, and looks as though it will clean out from any pen with the minimum of effort.
Would I recommend it? Absolutely, it's an exceptionally lovely ink.
I hope this helped.
As an aside - if you are a dedicated fountain penner and think that some ink comparison images would help your choice, please leave me a quick comment and I'll put some up with each review I do from now on.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 November 2014
Iroshizuku Shin-kai is a sober blue-black ink with some very nice shading characteristics that can produce colours ranging from faded denim to near-black as it dries. It looks particularly good with broad nibs or flex pens, but even with standard medium nibs you'll see some pleasing variation. The blue component is subtle and unsaturated, so this would be a suitable ink for formal correspondence.

It can be hard to locate inks that work well with finicky vintage pens but I'm finding the Iroshizuku range consistently good in that respect. Shin-kai is no exception. Good flow and lubrication. No feathering problems on any of the notebook papers I've tried. With Moleskine notebooks, I do get some bleedthrough on broad strokes. No problems with Rhodia paper.

Expensive stuff, but worth it if you need its flow and shading properties. Watch out for customs fees on items over £15 if ordering from sellers in Japan.
As you can see from my other reviews, I'm more than a 'fanboy' of Pilot inks - I bought this from Santa trading and it arrived safely and well packed after 15 days in the air from Japan.
The ink is gorgeous, a real 'spring grass green' that actually shades and colours differently through different nibs. I use F nibs predominantly, (which for the majority of inks precludes me from seeing serious shading),but I must say that this ink shows itself beautifully through any nib I've put it through (Pilot 3776, Platinum demonstrator, and believe it or not the best line comes from a Pilot 78G F nib)! I write for a living, and use fountain pens and notebooks for first drafts - today I sat out in the sun reading and taking notes and this ink has been absolutely first class - it dries off just less than the colour that comes out of the nib.
I use very temperamental Leuchtturm 1917 notebooks and today this ink has behaved impeccably on paper that absolutely loves to feather and bleed at the slightest opportunity.
A truly lovely green ink. Highly recommended.
I hope this helps you choose!
If you have seen any of my other reviews elsewhere on Amazon, you will know I'm a dedicated fountain pen and good ink addict, but up until now, the Rolls Royce of inks, Pilot Irishozuku, although long on my wish list, has been denied to me by the prohibitively high prices asked by stockists here in the U.K.

Now, with the new Amazon storefront direct from Japan, Santa Trading Japan GBI, these 21 different ink shades - all renowned for their vibrancy and great flow characteristics - are being offered to us at virtually half price, and with free postage.

I love green, purple and orange inks, and for my first experience of Pilot inks, I chose to order Murasaki Shikibu - "Japanese Beautyberry" in English, named after the purple coloured berries that grow wild everywhere in Japan.

My ink arrived this morning (more of that at the end of the review), packed sturdily, it survived the thousands of miles in transit from Japan without even a crease to the box.
The ink itself is a joy. I've dip tested it with three different pens, a Waterman Phileas demonstrator M nib, a hand made Oliver from India with a Knox m nib, and finally with a well worked on Pilot 78g with it's notoriously fine nib.

The Murasaki performed flawlessly in all three nibs. with great flow and no feathering on any of the papers I used (Clairefontaine 80gsm notebook, Nuco 100gsm cream paper plain notebook, Leuchtturm 1917 A5 notebook, and finally Viking Direct 90gsm copy paper).
It does shade, but very very subtly.

Change over to the F nib, and different things happen, it is definitely lighter, and even more subtle.
It is eminently readable with an M nib, but if I am honest, the Pilot F nib (a European extra fine) puts it down on to the paper as a pinky purple, which means I couldn't use it for communicating via a fine nib, but only for journal work.

The packaging is very laid back and beautifully designed - a silver box with minimalist detail, and the name of the ink in Japanese and English.
The bottle itself is a delight, and I'm pleased to see something I was unaware of, the internal base of the bottle tilts in slightly to the centre and has an indentation in the glass that will build a small reservoir of ink as the bottle empties (Pelikan Edelstein take note).
Be aware though that delivery times are immense from Japan. I ordered it on the 9th Jan, and it was delivered this morning, so be prepared for a good three week wait as it wings its way to your desk.

Is it good ink? Absolutely beautiful.
Worth the wait? Oh yes.

Apologies everyone for the longish review, but the ink really is that good.
I can heartily recommend Irishozuku ink, and the seller to you (no association with either).
I hope this helped.
on 19 May 2014
For the UK user, it would seem that it is only now through Amazon that you can acquire Iroshizuku inks at non-nose bleed prices. Now this does mean you have to exercise some patience and wait for it to be shipped from Japan (and even then it look little more than 2 weeks). However, this seemed a reasonable trade-off when you can now get these inks at about a third of the price of the few UK retailers who sell it. Not to say that it is then cheap but at least one does not feel totally ripped off. I am still in my infancy with respect to Iroshizuku inks and prior to the kon-peki have only tried out tsuki-yo (which is gorgeous). But the kon-peki is a lovely blue and perhaps similar to the Visconti blue in some aspects. It is vibrant and very blue (whether cerulean or azure or ocean as I have seen it variously described). I'm not a huge pure blue ink fan but this has converted me and it really is a lovely ink which now, fortunately, is available at a far more reasonable price. I'm looking forward to trying out all the rest of the Iroshizuku range.
on 5 March 2014
I bought this ink recently because I didn't think I had enough red ink- I feel like that gap has certainly been closed. The colour is surprisingly vivid, and definitely reminiscent of autumn leaves. This ink is lovely to use and write with - it flows very well and it feels slippery on the nib. It's well behaved, although it doesn't give a huge degree of shading- it dries a sort of merlot colour if you eye-drop a spot on the page. Interestingly though, if you lay down a bit of a puddle it dries a sort of gold colour around the margins, with a little bit of shimmer, although you'd probably need a very wet nib and a lot of patience to see it in writing.

A nice property I've noticed is that the ink isn't very opaque, despite the vivid colour. It looks nice in demonstrator pens, because it's sufficiently translucent that you can see right though to the other side.

The box and bottle are also lovely, and fairly similar to fancy perfume bottles. There's also a little depression moulded into the glass base directly under the nib, which I assume is so you can dip your nib in when the ink's running out so you can get the last drops.
on 4 January 2014
I just love this range of ink. This is the third I've bought from it. The first two I think are wonderful but this has got to be my very favourite - so far! It's the most subtle, gorgeous grey with a hint of blue - think 'air-force blue', but more grey than blue. As I say, very subtle, which is why it's difficult to describe. For anyone interested, there are colour charts for the Iroshizuku range on line.
Quality - superb, as with all Pilot products. And the bottle is huge as well as beautiful. I'm awaiting delivery of a VERY special fountain pen and can't wait to use this ink in it. Highly recommend this, together with the whole range.
1111 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2014
A gorgeous blue/green ink, almost 'teal' in colour. It runs very smoothly in my Parker 51 (m) and is a pleasure to write with. I'll be buying more of these inks for sure. For just under £15, this is the cheapest I've found it. It does take around 3 weeks to arrive from Japan, but it's well worth the wait.
on 7 November 2014
Of the most recent new Iroshizuku inks, this is so much my favourite that I bought a second bottle - I'm getting through the first one fast. This is a wet and beautiful ink, that feels like silk when one writes. It goes on as a rich dark sapphire, and dries, depending on what size nib you're using, to blue-black (Fine nib) or blue-grey (Medium nib). Should you own a temperamental vintage fountain pen, it will probably like this ink - I know mine does. And Shin-Kai is equally happy in modern nibs. Japanese inks do cost a bit more than your standard bottle of High Street stationery store ink, but for me the pleasure it makes of writing is worth it.
on 27 April 2016
Bought from Santa Trading JP, took over a month to arrive, and the box had quite a lot of cosmetic damage to it as it had only been packed in a bubble mailer.

Ama-iro (sky blue), is the lightest blue that Pilot does in their Iroshizuku line. I wanted to try one of their inks after hearing all the hype, and I went with this colour as its one of the only light blues that is fully blue without hints of green in it (i.e. turquoise).
These Pilot inks are considered luxury inks, and even at the relatively low price of £12.50 I paid for 50ml, that is still a lot. I cannot fathom how these cost £30 in some stores! To put this in perspective, I can buy Diamine inks for £6.80 for 80ml from the Diamine website, and I bought a 50ml of Waterman's ink from Amazon for £4.20.
I have to ask myself if this ink is really worth the hassle and the extra cost, and I honestly can't say that I am absolutely satisfied with the price to performance. Yes it's a 'wet' ink, but so are Diamine inks (generally), and the I have not found it to be much 'smoother' than any other inks in my pens.
The Ama-iro colour doesn't have much shading to it at all and bleeds fairly easily (although not very seriously), even on thick coated paper (Rhodia, Clairfontaine, and Oxford Optik). It is nicely saturated and doesn't have any green to it, so I have no complaints about the colour, but this is personal preference.
It would seem that most of the value stems from its status as a 'luxury' ink, and the packaging reflects this. The bottle is very nice and utilises high quality glass (no bubbles in mine), but I would rather not have to pay extra for either of these and would rather have the ink cheaper.

Essentially it becomes a question of if you want to spend this much on a product that works just as well as other products that cost far less.
If you are fond of the colour and the bottle then I would recommend it if you can stomach the price. If not, then I think you will be underwhelmed, and I would suggest trying Waterman or Diamine inks instead.

For reference the pens I tried this in:
—Pilot Custom 823