on 27 May 2002
This book and the other two titles by the same author is transforming my body and soul into what it was meant to be before my gradual addiction to sugars and refined carbohydrates has led me into continuous stagnation, vagueness of memory and depressive moods.
If you have been looking for an ultimate way to organize your life and eating habits , you will profit from reading this book. It's written in a simple and clear manner so you can read it quickly and before you know you will be doing this programme.
Many thanks to the genuine efforts of the author to help people with sugar addiction.
on 26 December 2001
When I read this book, everything finally fell into place. I knew sugar wasn't good for me, I knew I gained weight easier than others did. Had studied the subject for decades, did Atkins and felt great at first, but it never lasted more than a few weeks. Kathleen desMaisons has given me all the missing pieces of the jigsaw. It's a great book, with all the information I needed to finally find radiance and heal that sugar sensitivity that made my life such a mess.
The science in this book is being served in an easy to read format and combined with the on line support in different groups - everyone can find the place they fit in best - this is indeed finally a simple solution to all the problems that are linked to a sensitivity to sugar!
And no, I haven't got any financial interest in the book, I only hope thousands of other people who, like me, have been suffering all their life, will get it and find the same radiance that I (and many others) already found!
on 30 September 2009
Acquiring the knowledge of how the body actually functions from a biochemical stance has made a huge difference to my life and my work.
This is an excellent book. Thankyou Kathleen.
on 3 October 2011
A brilliant diet book - i am only half way through but its hard to put down - brilliant for anyone with depression.
on 19 March 2012
What a brilliant book. My idea of a balanced meal is a bowl of icing (frosting) in one hand and a spoon in the other. If I could live a healthy life by only eating icing, it would be heaven. Alas, sugar is a dangerous chemical, and I am addicted. But it was so comforting to learn that other people struggle with sugar. In the past, If I had an iced cake, I would lick the icing off and throw the cake away. I am following everything in this book and have lost ten pounds in a month. Thank you.
on 16 February 2012
This is a quite amazing book, written by someone who so understands her audience that it seems as if she is there in the room with you!

She has "walked her walk" herself, but she also draws on the experiences of the thousands of people she has worked with.

She is so gentle and loving in her attitude to those of us who are finally coming to understand WHY, for us, eat less and exercise more is not the answer.

She makes the complicated interaction between the three parts of our blood chemistry comprehensible -now I know why I do this, don't do that, and will never be able to do something else.

Just to see that the food creates the imbalance which creates the irrational behaviour is a revelation.

If you are not sensitive to sugar, white bread etc you won't see why this book is needed. If you are, it is lifeline.
on 19 January 2014
Wow! from the moment I started reading this book I knew I was on the right track. It really is as if Dr DesMaisons has read my mind. I have struggled with eating disorders, weight-loss and eating far too much sugar and white starches and couldn't understand why it was so difficult to change my way of thinking/doing for more than a few weeks at a time. I have type-2 diabetes and know the consequences of such out-of-control eating but it didnt seem to help. I read the book from cover to cover and have completed a week and a half of Step 1. I have found that this has had a great affect on my general mood and feeling of clarity and it has had a knock-on effect that I am becoming more aware of the rest of my eating. This is not a quick fix programme at all. Frankly, when have they ever worked??? If, like me, you want to make a difference that lasts then this is definitely worth your time. I figured that if it takes 2 years to deal with this then it is two years spent getting healthy and not fighting myself! As an added bonus it also has an amazingly supportive (and free!) online community via her website. People who have been where you are and can offer words of wisdom and support if you are struggling. Highly recommended.
on 18 May 2012
Haven't read all of this yet as I got a bit bored but from what I have read it is all making sense ... Recommend it if you have dieted forever - alongside the book Diets don't work - that is a fab book!
on 9 June 2012
The priciples behind this eating plan seem to make sense BUT I am not convinced there is any empirical evidence to support it. There is a supporting website flogging the usual supplements and the author's other books as well as forums and "camps" you can attend (at a price). Very much in the American "feel good" vein this is perhaps not for a cynical Brit like me. I've heard it all before.
66 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 March 2013
Really good read,tells you a lot of useful info on sugar addiction. I'm glad I bough this book as I've recently been diagnosed with sugar intolerance.