on 20 September 2013
I've been using devices with POE receivers built in for a couple of years, but wanted to expand the usage to devices that don't have that function. Now I can use one, easy to install, CAT5 cable to install wireless access points and other (low power) network equipment anywhere in my house or garden without having to compromise on the functionality of the device because it doesn't have POE built in.
The unit's about the size of a cigarette packet, with a polished plastic case. One end has a lan port which you plug into the network, and a stepper switch that goes from 5v, to 9v, to 12v. The other end has a lan port that connects to your device, a power output socket, and a LED to indicate the unit is working.
It is a lot more discrete that the Trendnet TPE-104S, in both size and the fact the Trendnet has an LED to indicate which power setting has been selected and another to show the unit is working, both on the top of the unit, while this TP-Link unit has its LED on the back, so it's out the way.
It does lack fixing brackets, but I'm using sticky feet to attach it to my wireless access point, meaning I can move it to where I need it rather than to the wall.
If you already have an IEEE 802.3af compatible network, this is very useful and cheaper option than the competition, perfect for home users.

Edit: been in use constantly for over six months, connected to a Linksys switch/wifi access point in a spare room. No issues, and no need to run extra cables as already had a Cat5 cable arriving from PoE hub.
on 25 April 2015
The power isn't isolated. This means if you try to power a device that's grounded (eg a Raspberry Pi which is connected to an HDMI monitor) then it won't work (I actually killed a board by connecting a UART ground pin to a USB serial converter: I measured -48V on the 'ground' from the supply)
on 16 February 2015
I purchased one of these, to power a Raspberry Pi. The Pi didn't work, and the green LED on the TL-POE10R pulsed off and on. Even without anything attached, the splitter only worked on the 12V setting; at 5V or 9V the LED pulses. I tested this on a TP-Link POE switch, and on a Netgear switch. The unit was replaced, with the newer black and white model (still called TL-POE10R) which has additional ventilation slots. Same problem. I Googled, and found the following three links

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2328328 (same problem)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYd3RtooFxY (isolation issue)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=99427&p=690211 (isolation issue)

Amazon were very helpful, and I have returned the splitter for a refund.
on 9 May 2014
I ordered a couple of these to test with a D-Link DGS 1210-10p POE Gigabit managed switch

The intention was to power a GuruPlug and SheevaPlug which had their internal psu's ripped out and were running on external 5V usb chargers (good mod to do anyway with the overheat prone plug computers)

I'm very pleased to say they work, worked first time, and haven't shown any indication to do otherwise (will update if things go awry). GuruPlug and SheevaPlug humming away nicely

They are small and discrete certainly smaller than your trad psu brick and will be very much more efficient than an old transformer type psu, and being shiny piano black they even look nice - higher than avg WAF

I've put one on a Linksys PAP2 voip adapter (aka Cisco SPA2000 or similar to SPA3000 et al) and it works like a charm

I've liked them so much I've ordered another 3 - can't go wrong with them being £10 a pop!

other advantages of course are that I can now (given a managed POE switch) remote powercycle my kit

additionally they do allow the ethernet ports to sync at 1000bT speeds if you have a gig network

perfect to power those remote WIFI AP, cameras or as in this case even small computers - imagine powering a RaspberryPI at the end of a 100m cat5e ... excellent

final comments : they work, comply with 802.3af, are small, switchable 5v 9v and 12v, give gigabit speeds (if you have the network) and seems to stay cool to touch and 3yrs TP-Link warranty

100% recommended by this customer :)
I got 3 of these, they worked out of the box, but no good when using with a item that is grounded. It shorted out my ip camera when I attached the camera to the outside of my metal building, works perfect if item is not grounded. You can find out more information if you google it, I wish I did first as I now have a £110 ip camera as a paperweight.
on 18 March 2017
Excellent way to get power to remote devices that are not PoE compatible. I've used it to power a remote camera, a Raspberry Pi (much cheaper than using the special Pi PoE adapter!) and a small thin client computer. The unit doesn't switch on unless there is a load on its output and communicates perfectly with my 24-port PoE switch.

I was so impressed I wrote a Blog article about it (Search for Vastmeridian PoE)
on 30 October 2014
Works great with my TRENDnet PoE switch and happily provided 1.5A at 5V on the DC jack (supposed to do 2A but best to play safe IMO). Useful to have a switch for other voltages in case I need them at some point in the future. Small and smart box and seems well made so cant complain, especially given the price beats any other splitter I could find at the time (other than dodgy chinese clones).
on 31 July 2015
seems to work ok with my edimax access point. Only problem i had was the dc/dc adaptor supplied, which was the wrong size to fit the edimax device, so i had to cannibalise the original edimax power adaptor to get it working.

an additional adaptor cable or converter in the box would be useful
on 4 March 2012
Version 2 of this product only offers 12V and 5V, which is a pity as I bought it to power a TP-Link 8-port switch which requires 9V. No use at all but I kept it as it "might come in useful" in the future.
on 17 May 2016
This is not properly isolated and thus does not meet the 802.3af requirements. This means that there is a dangerous amount of voltage present to any device connected to it.