on 20 August 2013
So definitely worth it!

The hours of extended DVD playtime, as well as all the extras are very much worth the time/money.

I, personally, love being able to see the behind-the-scenes on films like this, and seeing everything that everyone put into the films just makes it all that much more special to me.

I sat and watched all of it over a long weekend, and I felt honoured to have been allowed to watch something that all these people so obviously enjoyed doing. It was quite a wrench realising that I wasn't a part of it, and I never can be!

Really worth your time.
on 13 November 2016
Perfect! All the disks work and the packaging has only minor wear and tear so description of used/good was spot on. I've never actually seen these films before and my partner has been bugging me to get and watch them so at £4 for the full trilogy to take a punt on it was a fantastic price too!
on 13 August 2016
Exactly what I wanted. Recently watched the whole series on NowTV and couldn't wait to watch them again. Now I can watch them whenever I want and wherever I want. Great series and if you've never watched them but you love fantasy, a great story, funny life like characters, then you should definitely give it a try.
on 27 September 2016
Discs are fine, do what blu ray should. Very disappointed that the product information didn't state iTunes Australia or New Zealand was necessary and when I tried the Windows media copy it had expired. 2nd star is for the response from the customer services in the form of a partial refund as I don't have the digital copy that I wanted.
on 8 January 2013
To start with I am a fan of the books. And I have to say regardless of what some critics have said Peter Jackson does a pretty decent job adapting this. There are parts when it seems to drag and battle scenes can be a tad long. But it's a fairly faithful adaption of a complex novel. In my opinion the Theatrical version is just right. Having watched the extended edition's I just got bored and I can see why Jackson axed and cut some scenes.

Now to the Blu Ray.. Having never seen these movies on blu ray before I have to say .. wow.. for a series of films made between 1999-2003 the quality is spectacular. And in HD you can see just how much love and care went into getting details right. From Moria to Minas Morgul, Gollum and everything is just amazing. The sound is also spectacular in dts. Surround is just amazing.

Certainly for £10 this was just a steal. Just hope Mr Jackson does not let us down with The Hobbit Trilogy.
on 3 December 2012
If your looking at this and thinking (like i did) "Hmm, i already own the normal editions. Do i really need the extras?" Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. The extra footage in each of these films really is amazing. It'll take about 12 hours just to watch the films, and, especially if you watch them back to back (good luck finding the time), it really is like watching one long film. Just as Tolkien wants you to view Lord of the Rings as one book, so to does Jackson want this to be one film (to rule them all...sorry.) The new footage is seemlessly inserted. If you'd not seen the original versions you'd know no different.

So go on, buy it. Your eyes will thank you.
on 13 October 2016
Ah! It's wonderful! So many scenes that I've not seen. In detail explanation of the making of, really gives you a better understanding of just HOW MUCH work went into making these legendary movies. Showcases a lot of the development team, Wetta Workshop, miniatures and video enhancers. And the extended edit makes you surprised and giddy every time a scene you haven't watched a dozen times appears. The packaging is as lovely as the content design. It's a dream to own and cherish.
on 10 March 2017
Its Lord of the Rings.
Its Lord of the Rings on bluray.
Thats all you need to know.
on 3 August 2013
So at first I didn't know if this box had everything I wanted in it. I am "new" to the LOTR, and I kept reading stuff about special editions and extended editions, and I didn't have a clue what the difference was. So now I'm happy to tell you that this boxset is of course extended. I don't know about the "special" edition, but how more special can it get, right?
There is HOURS of commentaries, both the cast, the production team, directors etc. and it's really awesome. I found that I really enjoyed the commentaries, because they (I watched it with the cast) pointed out scenes that were new, or particulairly awesome.
Only letdown, which doesn't really matter to me, is that the movies are split into 2 CD's. They cut off after Elronds Council, Frodo and Sam meet Faramir and I can't quite remember ROTR, but the only bother is having to come out of your seat and change the dvd.

If you enjoy LOTR, then this boxset is cheap as hell, compared to how many hours you get out of it. We recommend it, yes we do, precious.
on 11 June 2009
Seen the films at the cinema? Really loved them? Then this is a real treat for you. The WHOLE story. All the gaps which made the cinema version a little difficult to follow are now filled in. For those who have read the book, the film now faithfully follows the story (apart from a few tweaks).

As though that were not enough, there are the same quantity of 'how it was made' discs. I thought these would be a yawn but in fact they turned out to be as fascinating as the film. They really enhance your viewing second (third, fourth........fifth.......) time around and you notice things you never saw before.

As this box set has now dropped in price it is an absolute must have for anyone who liked the book. The whole collection is a masterpiece.