AA Headlamp Beam Converters, Deflectors - Grey
Style: AA Beam Converters|Change

on 24 February 2017
Received quickly. Used recently on a run to southern France and back. Read the enclosed instructions to work out WHERE on your headlamps to install them, and you can finish the installation within minutes.- I'm not joking it takes me about 2 1/2 minutes to finish both headlamps. I have used these many times before, and will use them again.

A word of warning, once you return from the continent - you need to remove these again to keep police happy, But these seem to peel off in two sections. Peeling off the first section will mean your lights will work properly for the police.- If you continue to drive for around half an hour with your lights on and the first section of these peeled off - the heat from your lights will soften the glue keeping the last bit stuck in place - it will then be easier to prise off the last sections without scratching the headlamp lenses on your vehicle.
6 people found this helpful
on 20 January 2015
So why do we Brits put these on our cars when we go to Europe ? Because it's a legal requirement. But have you ever seen a left-hand drive car in the UK with headlight converters on it? It seems like a rule that only applies to British people in continental Europe, and the rest of Europe doesn't bother with them when they go to countries that drive on the opposite side (and yes there are a few countries that drive on the left in Europe like Isle of Man, Guernsey, Jersey, Malta, Cyprus ) and nobody complies with this law except the Brits.

Would love to not have to buy them but its easy money for police in Europe (most especially in France) A tip, you are supposed to remove them when you return to UK but if you gently peel them off and put them on top of say cling film or clear plastic then you can use them again multiple times. Also make sure you do take them off in the UK as I had a particularly miserable MOT guy who failed me just for having these stickers on. Ok they are removable, but it's a petty thing to fail for so take em off when you get home.
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 2 September 2014
Complies with the law, but otherwise worse than the old model.

Disclaimer - I have had a couple of lessons from continental cops on how to adjust my headlights. You go into an underground car park, drive the car against a wall and then reverse until the light from the headlights on the wall shows a clear set of "horns". These are the ones you have to kill using a beam converter. You align the beam converter until the horns disappear. This is what blinds the other driver and this is what you have to eliminate. By the way, you may find that the position where it happens is _DIFFERENT_ from the one on the diagram.

The older "stripe" model was considerably better for this. You could kill the "horn" completely. With this - not possible at least for my vehicle (Isuzu Denver).

So while you are complying with the legal reqs, you are actually not improving yours (and others) safety by much.
on 13 May 2018
The adhesive layer of this product has 2 faces: one for your headlights, and one for the reflective part of the product (the silver bit).
The 1st face held well, but the 2d face didn't hold for more than 3km and the reflective part flew away somewhere on the first road of France (limited at 50km/h) ! On both headlights.

Definitly a quality issue from the product.
The headlights were properly cleaned before putting the product, and this is why the adhesive layer is still in place (and was really hard to remove by the way).

Batch No. 1645TS in case that info is needed for quality claim.
review imagereview image
on 15 December 2011
These satisfy the legal requirement to "convert" headlights on RHD vehicles (as in UK) when travelling on european roads. The instructions are a bit difficult to follow as they seem to cover just about every model of car in the UK from the early 90s onwards. Once I'd worked out that firstly the converters needed to be trimmed down to a discs for my car (VW Passat) and, secondly, exactly where on the headlights I needed to attach the resulting sticky plastic discs, actually attaching them is easy enough. However, make very sure you know exactly where they need to be located and get it right first time as unsticking and relocating them is not really achievable. To remove them when you get home you need some solvent, metholated or surgical spirit will do, but for me finally removing all the sticky adhesive was a bit more troublesome and time consuming than expected. Although marketed as "AA" as far as I can tell exactly the same product can be purchased under various other brand packaging. Not a particularly great product, but for £5 these things are relatively cheap, do the job and fulfil the legal requirement.
on 25 March 2011
I have used these beam converters in the past so knew what I was getting. As I travel abroad quite often I ordered two sets, which cost me less than it would have cost me to buy one set from Halfords. They put the price up the day before I was going to buy them which is why I looked elsewhere! They are easy to use and I have never been 'flashed' when using my headlights abroad. There was a little confusion over the correct fitting diagram for my current car but a quick visit to their web site enabled me to quickly download the latest instructions. The only gripe is that these items can only be used once. In addition the items arrived a day early.

Update: I have found that using the recommended method of removal, i.e. heating with headlights prior to removing, and if you are very careful, the adhesive backing can be removed intact. I then place them in an old 'self adhesive' stamp book and have managed to get three uses out of one set!
on 7 April 2012
AA Beam Converters

This product did the job as advertised but I found the instructions less than comprehensive.
I fitted the product to a 2012 Ford Fiesta with extremely sloping clear lens. No help was given as to how to find the centre of the lens.
As an engineer this did not cause me a problem but many customers will likely fit the "mask" in the wrong position.
I choose to disagree with this assertion made in the advert that these "Patented" converters are the only way to effect the necessary change especially the inference that you cannot use "tape" (of the correct type and in the correct position)
At the Amazon reduced price of £3.50 I purchased the product so that I could see (confirm) where to fit the "shield" and to remove any possibility that I would be stopped by the Police for using a non Euro approved method!
The product met my needs at a reasonable price and gave me piece of mind. I would have been disappointed had I paid the standard retail price for what is basically a bit of sticky tape, the largest part of which was not required on my vehicle.

On removal the sticky layer was VERY difficult to remove without special cleaners, even after just 5 days!
10 people found this helpful
on 14 August 2016
Instructions look complicated, but because the product fits so many different cars, it's just a question of finding your own make/model. These work well, and I've used them before; they can, however, be tricky to remove when you get home, so follow the removal instructions equally carefully.
on 2 January 2018
After our second day driving through heavy rain showers, both deflectors are gone. I’m sure I applied them according to instructions as the adhesive discs are both still in place (i.e. the product has failed between the deflector and its own adhesive). Now I’m stuck in Northern Spain wondering what I can do.
I used a pair of these deflectors successfully for two weeks in September but they were subjected to much less rain then.
on 16 August 2010
First time I've taken my car into Europe and was a little nervous fitting these beam converters to my perspex headlight lens's after reading that they were not easy to remove and could leave permanent marks. However, I had no problems whatsoever. They were on the car for a whole month whilst we were in Spain and they simply peeled off (after following the supplied instructions)e.g: Turn on the headlights for a few minutes to heat up the glass/perspex. Then peel off the beam converters. If there is any residue, moisten a soft cloth with methylated spirit (not white or any other spirit or you might damage the perspex) and gently rub the lens until clean. As the Meerkats would say "Seemples"

Whether or not the converters actually worked, I'm unable to say as we never drove in the dark - but I assume they have been tested by the manufacturer - and it does make you legal.....I will definitely use them again.