Size: 32 GB|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on 11 January 2009
I bought this Transcend 16GB SDHC card to use with a Canon 90-IS camera. This capacity allows me to take 3 or 4 hours of video on the camera as well as 5-600 photographs, or alternately, in excess of 10,000 photographs, depending on the `quality' settings I choose on the camera. This card is as fast as they get (Class 6) and very reliable, as all my other Transcend cards have been - some of which are now several years old and still working flawlessly.

As other reviewers have said, it is important to check in your manuals and manufacturers websites to see if your device is compatible with these High Capacity cards as they are a relatively new classification - e.g. one of my `older' cameras (four years old) can only use a standard SD card up to a maximum of 2GB and so a 16GB SDHC card is very obviously not readable by that device.

The seller I chose supplies this card in a blister pack with a card case and an SDHC card reader included for £26. I didn't strictly need the card reader, but at this price it's pretty much free and I've found it very useful for uploading documents and images from this card onto `older' PC's that can't read the High Capacity cards.

All in all, this is a high quality card with a huge capacity, which is reliable, fast and represents genuine value for money from a well-established company - and as all Transcend cards come with a lifetime warranty you can't really go wrong. My opinion would be to buy with confidence.

In reply to questions by other reviewers, a Gigabyte is a discrete amount of memory (i.e. not exactly 1,000 megabytes) and the industry `doubles up' this amount for our convenience and so as not to confuse us i.e. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32GB. An `8GB' card's actual capacity is approx. 7.5GB and a `16GB' card's capacity is approx. 14.9 GB and so on... much like a 1761 c.c. car engine is classed as a `1.8'

I hope all this has been of some use!
66 Comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 September 2007
Class 6 SDHC = 6Mb per Second write speed; however depending on the camera are often more capable of writing at much faster speeds than 6Mb per sec... (better value for money than) "Sandisk Extreme III" ... so I'm really very happy with this rock solid TRANSCEND card, the read speed is also very fast, however Ive not bench
marked it yet...

represents excellent value for money. bought for my Canon G7. However, its fine for MOST new SD digital cameras made in 2007 and AFTER.

Transcend are market leaders in high quality SDHC Memory cards. 5 Stars.!

lifetime warranty... fabulous!

Im very impressed with how well the card is made, pure quality.!
TRANSCEND 8GB SDHC MEMORY CARD, Writes at a steady speed off 6Mb per sec, Class 6.

I have a decent collection of transcend SDHC cards now, and not one has ever let me down at any time, not one single read error, in spite off 1000's of jpegs, RAW'S and Video's.

I think the price of this card has come down a lot in only a few months, but can't see it coming down any further, until the 16GB & 32GB SDHC CARDS begin to take over.

TRANSCEND ARE one of the few SD & SDHC memory card maufactures to offer a full money back gaurentee, with lifetime cover, on all thier kit.!

The MINIMUM speed for class 6 SDHC is 6Mb/s. However, they can and do write/read faster. This Transcend 8GB, for instance, can read at about 18Mb/s and write at 12Mb/s which beats the Sandisk Ultra II cards and nears their Extreme III ones.
22 Comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2008
I've got a couple of these cards for use in my Canon Ixus 860 IS camera and I've had absolutely no problems with either of them. This card is more than fast enough to handle video and photos (continuous shooting mode) at the highest quality without the camera having to pause while it writes to the card (video at 2MB/s and photos at 3-4 MB/s).

As mentioned by previous reviewers, there are compatibility issues with SDHC cards and older SD devices (as in the cards don't work in them) so check before buying one of these cards.

Overall, fantastic value for money.
11 Comment| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 2007
One star from the previous reviewer is in my opinion way too harsh: this is an SDHC card, not SD, it is not backwards compatible and might not be suitable for use in some card readers and older devices that do not support SDHC. If you bear that in mind, this card is great value for money.
on 26 October 2008
This is a class 6 SDHC card, if that means nothing to you (as these classifications are very new) this is how it works :
SDHC cards are classified by the speed that data can be written to the card...class 2 = 2 megabites/sec(min) class 4 = 4mb/sec(min) Class 6 = 6Mb/sec

I also have a Sandisk class 2 card, and even that is fast enough for HD video on my Kodak Z1015...this card is potentially three times as fast, and so I call it a bargain

I have found it works flawlessly for HD video...no problems, and this price is amazing, I have just ordered another

Recommended, the best value I have seen anywhere
11 Comment| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 March 2008
I bought one of these 8gb cards to go with my new Creative Zen 8gb player. The card works perfectly so I now have 16gb capacity. Very good value at this price.
99 Comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 April 2008
Just got this card for my Sanyo HD camcorder and its top notch! Records about 2hrs of 720p footage.

I was also suprised to find that it worked in my laptops card reader! the laptop is about 1 and a half years old now!

Transfer speeds are super fast aswell! Very Nice!
VINE VOICEon 29 September 2008
16GB is quite a capacity and seems to scare some. All those images on one card and I might lose them, so I'll get 4 x 4GB cards instead. But the number of images on a 16GB card using today's 15MP DSLRs is about the same as those on yesterday's 8MP cards using 4GB cards...

My 14.6MP Samsung GX20 produces DNG files at 23MB each; if I then do RAW+JPEG, as many do, then the size is nearer 35MB per image! Also, we now have DSLRs with video! 16GB is going to look right very soon. I have lots of cards of 1GB, 2GB and 4GB capacities which I do not use for being too small. LOL! My main cards currently are 8GB and now going to 16GB.

This Transcend 16GB is very fast; very close to the Sandisk Extreme III cards but a lot cheaper. They have a lifetime warranty. I have many Transcend cards CF and SDHC and have had no issues; I also have Sandisk cards too and see no differences. This card came sealed but did not come with a plastic folder - penny pinching - so you'll need to find a spare one; at this price, though, I mustn't grumble.
on 18 February 2008
this card works fine but little did i know before hand that my pc wouldnt read it. you have to have very up to date software or like me you have to go out and buy a card reader that reads these hc cards.the standard sd cards are read no problem , but the hc versions will need a card reader so beware. perhaps its my fault for not doing the research but the people selling these things dont make it very clear.
22 Comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse