Customer reviews

Size: N/A|Change

on 23 March 2016
Got mine. Arrived in perfect condition from Amazon. Worked first time. So far, so good....but....the glass globe( which I knew was vulnerable from the reviews here) rattled around all over the shop, especially when being lifted by the chain. What a pain, trying to put the thing back in position after being carried. It got knocked over , once, on the ground. Despite the wire safety cage, the globe broke. Knowing the difficulties of replacement, I happened to be in a camping store and bought a Lumostar Plus with the object of using its globe as a replacement.....which I did....and everything worked fine.....but.....having noticed the more robust construction and solidity of the Lumostar, swapped the globe back to that....because of the more reliable and solid feel(it has a solid wire bail and not a chain) which gave me greater confidence. I have lost the piezo ignition facility, but instead have reliability , solidity and better protection of the glass globe and mantle. I've always been a big fan of Camping Gaz designs but as far as I am concerned, they fouled up badly, in making the jump from Lumostar Plus to Lumostar Plus PZ.
I have quite a bit of experience with gasoline and pressure lamps and their use in camping conditions. The Lumostar Plus is a good value-for- money product....the PZ.....I am not so sure about. Shame they altered the basic design.
on 19 August 2017
At first we were taken aback by the size... we simply didn't take it in and expected the lamp to be larger.
Secondly, being a bit laid back, we just had a go at lighting it - as was - without reading the instructions - STUPID!!! It's VITAL to read the instructions as you have to attach the little net bag to the lamp and burn it to make a burnt-out, hard shell (mantle) which is what causes the brightness in the long run... it's really quite technical, fragile and scientific and it is essential to do this properly.
However, all of this said, we LOVE the lamp; it is SUPER BRIGHT and REALLY EFFECTIVE! A SUPERB addition to our camping equipment and no regrets. It's literally like having a light on.
on 8 November 2011
Bought this to use in my beach hut.Ok I have re-chargeable battery lanterns but there is something nostalgic about a gas lamp. (brings back memories of my childhood caravan holidays!!!)

Product appears wll made and comes with a little zipped case for when the box becomes tatty. Fitting and "burning in" of the mantle was no problem and I was soon out in the garden testing light levels!!

Disposable valved gas cartridge twists and clicks on to the light and you are ready to go. The Piezo ignition alleviates the search for matches, which are usually damp when extreme camping.
on 26 July 2017
It was quite tricky putting it back together but very sturdy once I got it right. Gives good light just beware that the metal gets very hot and stays hot for quite a while after turning it off so be careful the kids don't touch it.
on 11 August 2015
Nice lantern Very bright and having the piezo makes using it easy.
Got this as the battery lanterns just don't last as the non-replaceable batteries pack up you have a lot of rubbish.
Wish I bought one of these a long time ago.
on 12 August 2014
Ended up buying two of these. They are quick to set up, the built in ignition is great. Occasionally the gas can pulse and so the light output flickers and the accompanying noise if irritating, not sure if it really is the lamp or the gas canister.

Light output is pretty decent and as it kicks out some heat that can be a benefit on a cold wet camp.
on 29 June 2015
Unfortunately the glass globe is very delicate and was broken when I opened the package. I have returned for a refund. I have bought one from a camping store and it is very good and works really well. I would suggest that you do not buy these online as they seem quite prone to breaking.
on 16 September 2016
Came in a caddy for added protection. Pictorial instructions may not be clear to some but adequate. Gives off a very bright light that is adjustable. Main benefit is the Piezo igniter.
on 10 March 2013
Having used a larger campingaz lantern for years camping with the family it was always a bit fiddly lighting the lamp and usually made me jump when it finally ignighted. Thus I chose the version with the ignition system which is a real treat and has worked just fine the handful of times I've used it so far. How durable this will be remains to be seen. I'm looking forward to my next camping trip to give it a propper test.
on 28 November 2016
I am complete idiot when following instructions so needed help setting up the mantel etc. but a nice little lamp for my summer house!